Many HDMI sources, one TV and one projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
RDP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have long been at a loss as how to address my HT setup.

I have multiples HDMI sources, one TV that accepts 1080p HDMI signals and one projector that accepts 1080i HDMI signals.

For a long time I though of switching to an AV Amp with two HDMI outputs was one option but recently I thought maybe a matrix might be better but have always been concerned that I would not get appropriate negotiation when switching between output 1 which is 1080p and output two which is 1080i. Audio duties would be over Toslink/SPDIF to the AV Amp directly.

Are there anyone in the group who have been in the same situation as I have? I would prefer to keep my current AV Amp (component only) for audio use but use a splitter or matrix on the HDMI side for video only. I have 5 HDMI sources.

Any wisdom much appreciated.

Thanks,
RDP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post

I have long been at a loss as how to address my HT setup.
I have multiples HDMI sources, one TV that accepts 1080p HDMI signals and one projector that accepts 1080i HDMI signals.
For a long time I though of switching to an AV Amp with two HDMI outputs was one option but recently I thought maybe a matrix might be better but have always been concerned that I would not get appropriate negotiation when switching between output 1 which is 1080p and output two which is 1080i. Audio duties would be over Toslink/SPDIF to the AV Amp directly.
Are there anyone in the group who have been in the same situation as I have? I would prefer to keep my current AV Amp (component only) for audio use but use a splitter or matrix on the HDMI side for video only. I have 5 HDMI sources.
Any wisdom much appreciated.
Thanks,
RDP

I used to have a very similar setup and the key was the HDMI lowest common denominator principle. HDMI only sends out a single video stream and a single audio stream at any time. So those audio and video signals must be compatible with everything connected. So the signal gets lowered to the highest quality signal that all sink devices (your displays, for instance) can accept. So if your TV or project can only *accept* 1080i, then both sets will be limited to 1080i.

Now, notice I said "accept" and not "display". Many later model 1080i displays accepted 1080p inputs. So, in that case you would be able to send 1080p to all devices.

Remember this lowest common denominator applies to other HDMI video formats, such as 3D and HDMI audio. The audio is probably not important here since you are using S/PDIF. Hopefully for Blu-Ray you are using the 5.1-channel analog inputs since those are a significant improvement over S/PDIF for Blu-Ray discs.

The other thing you would need with a matrix switcher is a universal remote so that you can change your matrix switchers at the same time you change your receiver inputs.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I used to have a very similar setup and the key was the HDMI lowest common denominator principle. HDMI only sends out a single video stream and a single audio stream at any time. So those audio and video signals must be compatible with everything connected. So the signal gets lowered to the highest quality signal that all sink devices (your displays, for instance) can accept. So if your TV or project can only *accept* 1080i, then both sets will be limited to 1080i.

In case of most splitters you have right. The HDMI signal must be compatible with everything connected. But there are also some splitters, which allows that signal does not have to be compatible with all connected devices, but only with all switched on devices. An example of such splitter is nSplitter QS at iHDMI.eu It allows to connect 2D and 3D displays to its HDMI outputs without loosing the possibility to watch in 3D (when 2D display is in stand-by). The same with the 1080p24-capable displays mixed with devices which do not support this format.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek Soszynski View Post

In case of most splitters you have right. The HDMI signal must be compatible with everything connected. But there are also some splitters, which allows that signal does not have to be compatible with all connected devices, but only with all switched on devices. An example of such splitter is nSplitter QS at iHDMI.eu It allows to connect 2D and 3D displays to its HDMI outputs without loosing the possibility to watch in 3D (when 2D display is in stand-by). The same with the 1080p24-capable displays mixed with devices which do not support this format.

The "danger" with this type of splitter is that the EDID can change while the source is sending. There are some sources that cannot handle that type of change in the middle and will hang (or otherwise have issues). For some it will work perfectly, though depending upon the sources used. It solves some problems and introduces others...
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

The "danger" with this type of splitter is that the EDID can change while the source is sending. There are some sources that cannot handle that type of change in the middle and will hang (or otherwise have issues). For some it will work perfectly, though depending upon the sources used. It solves some problems and introduces others...
For me the nSplitter QuickSwitch mode works perfectly. I have new 3D plasma and older 2D projector which does not support the 1080p24 format. Usually I have only one of the displays switched on and then I can always watch the best of supported formats on it : 3D 1080p in case of plasma, and 2D 1080i in case of the projector. Sometimes I use both and then 2D 1080i is displayed on both screens like always in case of any regular HDMI splitter.

When I'm switching on/off any of displays during watching the video on the second one (which is very, very rarely), I have few seconds of the black screen, that's all.

Your can check yourself how your equipment reacts to the EDID changes by unplugging and plugging again the HDMI cable during playback. Remember to have the CEC autoswitching_off function deactivated.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page