Viera Link Problems, can someone help please? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic TC-L32U3 connected to a Yamaha RX-V371 via the HDMI out on the receiver and the primary (ARC) HDMI input on the TV. I've been having problems with no sound on TV broadcasts sometimes, which I thought might be ARC not working properly on my receiver, but now I'm not so sure.

My workaround for this has been going into the HDMI Setup>Control and ARC settings and turning either off then on until I hear sound. Then I noticed when both receiver and TV are on, once one or the other is shut off, the Viera Speaker Output setting on my TV reverts back to TV from Home Theater, and it needs to be on Home Theater to get sound on my HT speakers from TV broadcast via ARC. Thus an easier workaround I've discovered is just checking that setting and putting it back on Home Theater, since ARC and Control always stay On on my receiver.

At this point I don't know if it's a Yamaha problem or a Panasonic problem, since I've read of people having problems with ARC on Yamaha receivers and Viera on Panasonic TVs, but I'm now leaning toward it being a Viera problem since it's the setting that doesn't stay as I put it. The odd thing is, Yamaha actually gives Viera Link as an example of products that work via ARC with this receiver in the manual for it.

I didn't have such issues when I had an optical audio cable connecting the two previously, but this way I get a bit better sound and I don't have to always put the receiver in TV mode when switching to the TV input on the TV. I've read of other receivers having issues with Viera, and other TVs having issues with Yamaha's ARC mode. I'm getting the feeling there isn't really any reliable cross brand HDMI hand shaking in HT gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, further checking in the TV's settings indicates there's a way to get constant link via ARC for TV by going to the Viera Link Settings page in the Sertup menu and setting the default speakers to Home Theater. The tradeoff is the TV wants to always turn on/off the receiver when it's turned on/off, and the TV resets to Standard vs the Game mode I prefer. Since there's often times earlier in the day I just want to surf the net without any sound, I prefer the TV not to turn on the receiver.

Panasonic and Yamaha both say this is normal and it varies with brand and model. My workaround, since I don't want the receiver turning on when I don't want it to or resetting video modes, is to wait until the time of day when I engage in TV watching, then access the quick setup page for Viera Link via the Viera Link button on the remote, and navigate down one click to Speaker Output, and one click sideways to set it to Home Theater. It's quick, only has to be done once a day, and avoids unnecessary powering on and off of the receiver.

When only the Viera Link button is used vs the Menu>Setup>Viera Link Settings, it does not control the receiver being turned on and off and reverts to TV as Speaker Output when the TV or receiver are shut off. It's the difference between one being merely a Speaker Output setting, and the other being the Default Speakers setting.

Hope this helps anyone having Viera Link issues. CEC is not as "smart" in my case as I'd like it to be, but at least there's a fairly easy workaround for it.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page