Splitting HDMI output from pc to monitor and mitsubishi projector - AVS Forum
HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World > Splitting HDMI output from pc to monitor and mitsubishi projector
Rich Slaten's Avatar Rich Slaten 10:34 AM 09-28-2012
At best, I have had only partial success with splitting the HDMI output from our new pc, through either a powered HDMI splitter or non-powered HDMI splitter. We have a Mitsubishi 550 installed around 100' from the pc and have run two different cat5e cables to and from the projector through a non-powered HDMI extender setup. The HDMI extender device lights up and acts like it is working, but we cannot get the pc to recognize that the projector is there, keeps coming back that no signal. I am working at a Church and need some help/advice on how to resolve the issue of powering the monitor and the projector from the same source. I am able to send this message only due to using the DVI output to the monitor from the pc.

Colm's Avatar Colm 11:31 AM 09-28-2012
There is no such thing as a non-powered HDMI splitter. There are splitters that have their own power supply, and splitters that are line powered. The line powered ones take their power off the 5V line of the HDMI cable. Unfortunately, the HDMI specificaiton only requires the source device to provide 55 mA on that line. It wasn't intended to power splitters, etc. If the source device does not provide enough current, the splitter won't work properly, and the operation of the source device can be affected. Performance of line powered HDMI devices is pretty dismal. So, the first thing to do is get a splitter that has its own power supply.

Same thing goes for non-powered HDMI extenders. The best extenders used HDBaseT.

If you are using two line powered devices in the same system, it is no wonder they don't work.
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 08:20 AM 09-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Slaten View Post

At best, I have had only partial success with splitting the HDMI output from our new pc, through either a powered HDMI splitter or non-powered HDMI splitter. We have a Mitsubishi 550 installed around 100' from the pc and have run two different cat5e cables to and from the projector through a non-powered HDMI extender setup. The HDMI extender device lights up and acts like it is working, but we cannot get the pc to recognize that the projector is there, keeps coming back that no signal. I am working at a Church and need some help/advice on how to resolve the issue of powering the monitor and the projector from the same source. I am able to send this message only due to using the DVI output to the monitor from the pc.

In addition to what Colm mentioned, the first thing I would try is to lower the resolution of the PC as a test. I'd try a much lower resolution first, such as 1280 x 720 (or 1024 x 768, assuming the 550 will support that resolution).

I'd also try taking the monitor (that you know works) to the other end of the cat 5e cable and the other part of the extender and see if that works. If you can't get the single monitor to work, then the dual projector/monitor just adds more complications. So concentrate on getting just a monitor working first and then add the additional complication.

If you can't get the extender to work with the monitor, then check the cables. Try the entender with shorter cat 5e or cat 6 cables and narrow down the problem.

The trick is to keep narrowing-down the problem until you find the cause.
Up
Mobile  Desktop