HDMI Handshake? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sure hope somebody can help me here! Not sure if this is the correct forum because I'm not sure what's going on.

I have a new system that I'm having problems with. New TV, Receiver and Blu-ray. Here are my components:

Receiver Onkyo TX-NR3009. Brand new.
TV Mitsubishi WD-73C10. Brand new.
HD Roku box. Owned 1 year.
PS3. Owned 5 years.
Panasonic DMP-BDP220 Blu-ray. Brand new.

All sources connected to Receiver HDMI in. Receiver connected TV HDMI in.

Roku and PS3 work fine. Both outputting 1080P.

I've tried 3 brand new Blu-ray players (two different models) with 3 different HDMI cables in three different HDMI ports on the receiver. They all won't pass video. I hear the audio and I get a screwed up video image that is hundreds of multi-colored horizontal lines. The TV says "invalid format".

When I connect the Blu-ray straight to the TV, the video is fine.

I reset the receiver to factory specs and downloaded the newest firmware. No change.

I can do a work around here by sending video HDMI to TV and audio via optical to receiver, but that bypasses the great video chip in the receiver, and forces me to change inputs on the TV which doesn't have discrete receiver codes for this, making it easy for my Harmony remote to get "confused". I'd really like it all to go through the receiver.

ANY thoughts?

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocezam View Post

Sure hope somebody can help me here! Not sure if this is the correct forum because I'm not sure what's going on.
I have a new system that I'm having problems with. New TV, Receiver and Blu-ray. Here are my components:
Receiver Onkyo TX-NR3009. Brand new.
TV Mitsubishi WD-73C10. Brand new.
HD Roku box. Owned 1 year.
PS3. Owned 5 years.
Panasonic DMP-BDP220 Blu-ray. Brand new.
All sources connected to Receiver HDMI in. Receiver connected TV HDMI in.
Roku and PS3 work fine. Both outputting 1080P.
I've tried 3 brand new Blu-ray players (two different models) with 3 different HDMI cables in three different HDMI ports on the receiver. They all won't pass video. I hear the audio and I get a screwed up video image that is hundreds of multi-colored horizontal lines. The TV says "invalid format".
When I connect the Blu-ray straight to the TV, the video is fine.
I reset the receiver to factory specs and downloaded the newest firmware. No change.
I can do a work around here by sending video HDMI to TV and audio via optical to receiver, but that bypasses the great video chip in the receiver, and forces me to change inputs on the TV which doesn't have discrete receiver codes for this, making it easy for my Harmony remote to get "confused". I'd really like it all to go through the receiver.
ANY thoughts?
HELP!

I've seen this before. It's usually a firmware problem in the receiver. But, it can also be caused by a defect in the HDMI board in the receiver. A third choice is that you have a bad connection somewhere although that is unlikely since you have good audio.

What happens is that your TV sends a signal back to the attached sources that tells the sources what type of signal to send. When your source and TV are directly connected, this "EDID" is working fine and the source only sends a compatible signal to the TV.

For the EDID to work with a receiver, the receiver must modify the EDID so that the source is told that multichannel audio is now acceptable. So the receiver's firmware takes apart the EDID, modifies it, and then sends it onto the source. If this was not done, then the sources would only send stereo signals out to the receiver (since that is what the TV is telling it to do). Other modifications to the EDID can also be made by the receiver. I *think* it is in this step that you are getting problems.

The first thing I would do is to set the receiver to native (and bypass the great video chip temporarily). Make sure the receiver is making as few changes as possible to the signal.

I'd also disable any occurance of Deep Color (particularly in the PS3 menus) since there are no discs that use it and it eats up bandwidth and processing. I'd also try disabling HDMI CEC (control over HDMI). Basically you are trying to test with as minimal "extras" on the HDMI signal. Any disabling should be done in the source, the receiver *and* the TV. Finally, make sure you try different HDMI input/output ports, to make sure it isn't a port issue (which I doubt).

If none of that works (and since you already have the latest firmware), it would be time to force the isssue with Onkyo. Remember their engineering is in Japan, so the U.S. customer service people only know what is told to them. They will likely try to blame the TV or the source first. Interface issues are very difficult but you can point out that it works without the receiver. Also the shorter the HDMI cables that you use, the less likely (everything else being equal) to have bit errors caused by cable problems.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for your time. I will play with it some more.

If I end up having to sent the video via HDMI to TV and sound via optical to receiver, could I use an HDMI splitter backwards. That is to say have me receiver HDMI out and my Blu-ray HDMI out into the splitter and the splitter out to TV. That way I wouldn't have to change inputs on the TV.

Would this work?

Thanks...
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page