HDMI 2x2 matrix switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is what I want to do.

I have a computer with HDMI out on my NVIDIA GTX 580 video card. It is passing 1080p + audio to a computer monitor.

I have my xbox 360 connected to a Vizio XVT3D554SV TV. It is passing 1080p + audio to the TV.

I want a 2x2 matrix switch that allows me to easily have the xbox pass audio and 1080p video to my computer monitor or the tv and likewise for my computer.

What is a good HDMI 2x2 matrix switch that will allow me to do this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by strattjw View Post

Here is what I want to do.
I have a computer with HDMI out on my NVIDIA GTX 580 video card. It is passing 1080p + audio to a computer monitor.
I have my xbox 360 connected to a Vizio XVT3D554SV TV. It is passing 1080p + audio to the TV.
I want a 2x2 matrix switch that allows me to easily have the xbox pass audio and 1080p video to my computer monitor or the tv and likewise for my computer.
What is a good HDMI 2x2 matrix switch that will allow me to do this?
Thanks!

It's good that you don't want anything but stereo for the monitors. That makes it easier.

For a really good one, check the Octava web site. I think Monoprice may also have one. With stereo you don't have to worry about the EDID values, so you won't need anything that can spoof different EDID values.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Something to be aware of when utilising a PC via a Matrix (or any Switch) being the potential for your PC Graphics Card to ‘go to sleep’ when it is not an active Source – this can cause problems when you try and Switch back to the PC.

If you can’t disable the sleep modes on the PC you may have to budget for a device which fools the PC into always ‘seeing’ a Display – this device lives between the PC and the Matrix!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Something to be aware of when utilising a PC via a Matrix (or any Switch) being the potential for your PC Graphics Card to ‘go to sleep’ when it is not an active Source – this can cause problems when you try and Switch back to the PC.
If you can’t disable the sleep modes on the PC you may have to budget for a device which fools the PC into always ‘seeing’ a Display – this device lives between the PC and the Matrix!
Joe

Thanks for the insight. What device would I need for this?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
There are a couple of units on the market – the Gefen HDMI Detective+ is one option.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 14
Monoprice 2x2 matrix switch splitter will work. Will pass 1080p, and all current sound types: Stereo, 5.1 Dolby, TrueHd, MST-hd, DTS, 7.1, etc., inexpensively. They call it PID 8155: 2x2 Matric Switch Splitter. I use it, works flawlessly.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAVfan View Post

Monoprice 2x2 matrix switch splitter will work. Will pass 1080p, and all current sound types: Stereo, 5.1 Dolby, TrueHd, MST-hd, DTS, 7.1, etc., inexpensively. They call it PID 8155: 2x2 Matric Switch Splitter. I use it, works flawlessly.

It's good that you are trying to participate in the forums and welcome. However, you might check the date of questions you are responding to.

The question you are responding to was posted almost 11 months ago. The last response to the question was posted almost 11 months ago. The answers were apparently sufficient (and mentioned checking Monoprice).

Also MST is an abbreviation for Mystery Science Theater, Mountain Standard Time, Missouri University of Science and Technology and a few others. It is not a sound type. That would be DTS HD-Master Audio. The other choices were LPCM (Linear Pulse Code Modulated) and (the one you mentioned) Dolby TrueHD.

Tying this all together - Mike Nelson, formerly MST3K's second host, is actually an A/V geek. After MST3K was cancelled Mike wrote a monthly A/V column for Home Theater magazine. Unfortunately, that partnership ended about a year ago. During his tenure with the (now defunct) magazine, Mike wrote a column that included HDMI references. That still doesn't mean that MST is an HDMI audio codec biggrin.gif

So, welcome to the forum, but try answering the recent questions - much more challenging that way.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page