HDMI Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I'm new here. I finally made home theater I'm running B&W 600 series for speakers and Pioneer Elite VSX-53>Elite BDP-62FD>PS3>APPPLE TV>DTV SAT>SKY SAT running to an elite 70". Long story short when I first bought the receiver I was not getting no video so I took it back got it swaped the second receiver same model the second one I only got video through the BP input and but no audio (I could get audio via air play from my iPhone) and the other components would flicker on off. Ok so I took it back I'm on my third receiver and I'm having the same issue no video and flickering I call elite they tell me to take it back but this time one tech said it could be the hdmi if it has ethernet which it dose, may be causing a communications issue is this possible I mean my stuff is new I just bought it like two weeks ago I don't think the tv or the receiver is out dated. All help and advise is appreciated!

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Liked: 87
As much as I just wanted to type "No" as the entire answer, I couldn't do it.

How long are the HDMI cables between the components and the receiver and then between the receiver and the TV? Where did you get the cables? What type of cables, HDMI High Speed or HDMI Standard Speed, are these?

I am also very confused about your chain of equipment. I assume all of the source components go into the Pioneer Elite VSX-53? What model of 70" TV do you have and when was it purchased? What is the maximum resolution of the TV input (1080p)?

Ethernet over HDMI has yet to be used in any consumer electronics product I'm aware of. Therefore it can't be causing problems. I have heard of some issues with the cables that are wired for Ethernet over HDMI and older devices but I can't see that in your case. So, the answer to your quesiton is 'no'.

Many of these types of issues are usually traced to bad HDMI cables. Sometimes it is bad firmware in the receiver. If you have a firmware problem, replacing the unit with another unit of the exact same model will likely result in the exact same firmware problem. So being on your third unit of the same model doesn't mean there isn't a firmware issue.

By the way, it is a Blu-Ray Disc player (BD) not a BP. BP is a petrolium company that is about to pay a whole lot of money to the U.S. government and does not make audio or video equipment.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I appreciate your help on this and the answers are in red.

How long are the HDMI cables between the components and the receiver and then between the receiver and the TV? Where did you get the cables? What type of cables, HDMI High Speed or HDMI Standard Speed, are these?
The cable length is 50' and here is the length to the actual cable:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202699759/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hdmi&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202908634#.UK4mV45OTdk

I am also very confused about your chain of equipment. I assume all of the source components go into the Pioneer Elite VSX-53?
Correct

What model of 70" TV do you have and when was it purchased?
Elite 70" Class LED 1080P 240hz Model: PRO70X5FD I bought it less than a week ago

What is the maximum resolution of the TV input (1080p)?
Yes 1080P
post #4 of 17 Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvazquez View Post

Also it is a standard hdmi cable.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
It's more than likely the cable. And as Andy said, ethernet has no bearing on your issues at all, especially considering you have brand new components which should have the current hardware specs of which any Certified High Speed HDMI cable can easily handle. However, 50' is a bit long. If any of your components firmware can be updated, I'd look into that as well. I'd also try an under 25' run with a new cable. If that works, your components are more than likely ok and you can concentrate on the cabling.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvazquez View Post

Go get new cables. At 50 feet and a not so great standard speed cable, you're going to have the problems you described. One way to prove this (or close to prove it) is to set every component to 720p and see if everything magically stops working. Also make sure all instances of Deep Color is set to off. This will reduce the bandwidth on the cable and will likely get the Home Depot cable to work.

To get 50 feet to work at high speed you'll need to get cables that can handle that distance. They aren't expensive but I can't guarantee that they will work. For a guarantee you need to either use an active HDMI cable or convert to cat 6. But we can discuss this after you check 720p with no deep color.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Tech Support - I think you must have the wrong number, it sounds like you were through to Returns and or Dispatch smile.gif

50’ HDMI cable – I’m loving this ‘feature’,’It features 60/120/240 Hz smooth video refresh rates.’ I wish may cables could do that!

Second AVR – you mention ‘no audio’! From the AVR or from the TV?

Temp. setup – as someone else suggests try moving the kit around so that you can run a relatively short High Speed HDMI cable (8m or less) between the AVR and the TV.

Everyone is assuming you are running short (2m or so) HDMI cables between the Sources and the AVR?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok here's the deal now I'm lost. Today bestbuy geek squad came out to calibrate the TV I explained my Hdmi issue and he plugs the reciever directly to the TV with his high end cable that was like 6' and no video from the receiver (home menu). So he takes the receiver to another TV and boom he gets video I did the same thing with a different cable and got video on the TV a couple of days ago on the elite and got video. So the tech is telling me that he's doubting its the cable because the cable is sending video 1080p from the Bluray and the directv. Any ideas????
post #9 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM

1) Stop trusting the Geek Squad. Mentioning Geek Squad here is a big negative (particularly if you paid for them).

2) Any 6' cable should work with your setup. You are using a 50' cable. There is a BIG difference with HDMI. Trying out something with a 6' cable only shows that the equipment is working, not the 50' cable.

3) Which receiver? I thought we were talking about Blu-Ray player (BD) not sending video?

4) Have you tried 720p?

5) Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to offer suggestions and then you ask for more help without following the first suggestions?

6) Write back after you've tried 720p on all of the equipment (including the A/V receiver)

7) If you write again, slow down when you write and fully explain which connection you are discussing. 'Boom he gets video' doesn't provide any detail as to the input, the cable, the output and whether an A/V Receiver was used.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
^^^^ I'm getting brain achy too, and andy is more versed in HDMI than I am. Most Geek Squad folks are clueless (at least as far as HDTVs go). Some know what's going on but it's few and far between.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Any ideas???? Take five and come up with a methodical plan to test your kit, log and detail the test then report back on your findings – as others have said your posts are pretty much useless in trying to help you diagnose your problem!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help I swaped the cable for a higher grade and it worked perfect. Now the issue I have is I hear the audio a little off from the scene in the movie I watched transporter 3 & iron man and they were both slightly off.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM

That's from your equipment. Check the setup menu on the TV, the AVR and the sources to see if HDMI audio auto sync (or similar words) are set to on or off. Whichever way it is set, try the opposite. I've seen some systems where auto-sync causes lipsync issues and others where enabling auto-sync solves the problem. Start with the AVR and change just the AVR. If that doesn't work then next try the Blu-Ray player. Make only one change at a time before checking.

If you do not have an auto sync function, there is very little that can be done. However, your equipment is new enough (particularly the AVR) that it should have that function.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Will do I will try it once I get home. Just to let you know I did not have the lip sync issue when I was running the Bluray straight to the TV.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Sounds like you have a good first clue - Check the AVR (which was not included in the signal path when you went directly to the TV).
post #16 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

My receiver nor my tv had that option. My bluray had a digital output PCM, Bitrate both did it so I set them off and it looks like it worked. I just hope it dose not effect the sound quality.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Page 50 of your receiver's owner's manual has a reference to "Audio Delay" which can be set by the user. So, yes, your AVR does have the ability. Above all, you really should read through your owner's manual. AVRs are complicated devices (although not as big as they used to be) and if you are truly concerned about the sound quality, then that should be first on your list. From your responses I can tell you don't have much experience in this area, so try to learn about the AVR before making more changes.

If you really did what you wrote, can you still get DTS-HD from Blu-Ray discs or are you limited to 2-channel audio? Your AVR display should indicate DTS-HD when a DTS-HD disc is playing.

After you read through the manual, if you have other questions you can ask here or in the VSX-53 Owner's forum.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page