Celerity Optical HDMI cable - AVS Forum
HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World > Celerity Optical HDMI cable
G-Rex's Avatar G-Rex 07:58 AM 12-07-2012
Has anyone tried the Celerity optical hdmi cable on your projector? If so please let me know the results. It can work at very long lengths with ease up to 4k resolution. I did read somwhere that another brand optical cable produced a picture that had colors a bit washed out. I don't know if this happens due to the conversion process at the cable ends. Thanks

http://celeritytek.com/

alk3997's Avatar alk3997 08:24 AM 12-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Has anyone tried the Celerity optical hdmi cable on your projector? If so please let me know the results. It can work at very long lengths with ease up to 4k resolution. I did read somwhere that another brand optical cable produced a picture that had colors a bit washed out. I don't know if this happens due to the conversion process at the cable ends. Thanks
http://celeritytek.com/

While I have not used the Celerity optical HDMI cable, I can predict that you will get at least 5 responses pointing out that an HDMI cable cannot, under any circumstances, in any part of this Universe, cause colors to be "a bit washed out". The cable transmits bits in the form of an electrical signal. Change the bits and you get garbage, not washed out colors. The only way to get a uniform washed out color set would be either to 1) convert to analog (don't think the cable can do this) and modify the voltages and then convert back to digital or 2) have a digital processor work on each pixel value and lower the appropriate color bits (don't think there is any processor in the cable that can do this). Can you think of any other method for a cable to provide a color shift?

And, as long as the cable is a cerfified High Speed cable, then it will be able to pass the full range of current and planned HDMI signals, which include 4k. Just check to make sure it is a certified High Speed cable (or the equivalent for optical).
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 07:00 AM 12-08-2012
good luck andy, the poster is a cable believer... wink.gif

in his other thread, i suggested a HDbaseT solution, given the cost of the celerity cables... that suggestion still stands... smile.gif
G-Rex's Avatar G-Rex 11:08 AM 12-08-2012
My question has more to do with the hassle free performance of this new technology for my application. It has nothing to do whether I am pro or anti cable. There is a converter on both ends to optical and then back from optical, which I have been told can be problematic if not implemented properly.

I read a review of another optical cable where the reviewer claimed washed out colors. It's a new conversion technology so who knows. I didn't write the review nor do I condone what he said. Just asking if anyone used the cable and had good results. I never asked if using an optical hdmi cable would give a superior picture as opposed to a standard copper hdmi cable. Just want no handshake issues or snow at very long runs with a very high bandwidth signal. May use Red Ray or future Sony 4k player to my Sony 4k projector and want as little problems as possible in light of a 40' length.

Some baluns work great and others have had problems with them. The current baluns, even the best from Atlona, are still based on cat 5 wire technology. They can pass 4k at 24p, but may have issues with future 3d 4k, especially at higher than 24p. Looking for the most reliable and future proof solution. It may end up being the next generation Atlona, from what I am told will be based on a cat 6 minimum requirement.

I believe the Celerity is cerified for high speed and can pass above the typical 10.2 gps. I was told the Atlona 4k can not pass over 10.2 gps.
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 01:59 PM 12-08-2012
I believe I understood everything you said. But, remember going above 10.2gbps is irrelevent. No current or planned HDMI implementation goes above 10.2gbps and there are no points for oversampling with HDMI. So as long as the cable (optical or copper) is certified for high speed (10.2 gbps) you haven't improved your signal quality by trying to go above that.

If this is a future-proof discussion, then who knows what the follow-on cable will be. Will it be 2 HDMI cables in parallel? Don't know.

But, you're right in that you should try to find someone who has used the optical cable with a variety of HDMI formats.
G-Rex's Avatar G-Rex 02:50 PM 12-08-2012
I agree... best to get some feedback with someone who has used the technology. I am sure you understood my question. My second post was not in response to your post.
Colm's Avatar Colm 04:17 PM 12-08-2012
FWIW the HDMI folks said during CES last winter that the HDMI 2.0 spec, which was supposed to come out last summer, would include higher bandwidth to support emerging resolutions. As I understand it, they are going to up the bit rate of the TMDS channels from 3.4 Gbps to something higher. Some of the fiber optic manufacturers claim overall bit rates above 10.2 Gbps. But for now, it is moot. There are no HDMI receiver or transmitter chipsets that work above that rate. Whether today's higher speed fiber cables will work with the new HDMI chipsets when they arrive is also unproven at this point

A "washed out picture" is highly unlikely with any HDMI cable, copper or fiber.
G-Rex's Avatar G-Rex 07:39 PM 12-10-2012
I know the 300 mhz hdmi chipsets allowing 1080p 60 3d frame packing are coming. Does the Sony 1000es 4k projector have this hdmi chipset? I understand that the 1000's hdmi board is modular so it can be sent to Sony in the future to accept future higher bandwidth signals, such as 4k 60. What is a guess on the bandwidth needed for a cable to pass this very high bandwidth signal?
Colm's Avatar Colm 12:29 AM 12-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

...4k 60. What is a guess on the bandwidth needed for a cable to pass this very high bandwidth signal?
Roughtly 4 times what it takes for 1080p60, something around 18 Gbps, more if you want something other than 24 bit color. Don't hold your breath. That would require 600 MHz chips.
weaselfest's Avatar weaselfest 05:52 PM 12-11-2012
for what it is worth, there are other manufacturers optical fiber based HDMI cables I have installed in 20m lengths that have demonstrated very reliable performance for 1080p 24. USB powered from the display. less than $200.
3D....4K?
Up
Mobile  Desktop