In wall installation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I had a question regarding in wall installation. I know that the wires should be rated CL2 or CL3. My question is regarding the gauge of the wire. Is there a minimum gauge you should use when running in wall? I see Monoprice CL2 cables are 24awg, which are very thick. I've also seen some Bluerigger wires on Amazon that are CL3 rated but are only 30awg. Those seem like they would be better to work with but I'm concerned about the 30awg being too thin? Are the 30awg cables ok to run in wall? This will be for a 10 - 15 foot run. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Wire gauge is one factor in how long the cable can be and still give satisfactory results. Under 25', just make sure you are buying an ATC certified high speed (category 2) HDMI cable. Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are two reputable brands. When in doubt, ask the retailer for a copy of the ATC certification for the cable.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
a 30 gauge passive hdmi cable? that's a new one on me... confused.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Wire gauge is one factor in how long the cable can be and still give satisfactory results. Under 25', just make sure you are buying an ATC certified high speed (category 2) HDMI cable. Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are two reputable brands. When in doubt, ask the retailer for a copy of the ATC certification for the cable.

Thanks for the response. So wire gauge is only a concern with runs greater than 25ft. As long as its high speed cable with the CL2 or CL3 rating, I should be fine for in wall installation. I would just need to confirm the vendor has an ATC certification for it. Thanks!!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

a 30 gauge passive hdmi cable? that's a new one on me... confused.gif

You seem a little skeptical about the wire. Is 30 gauge too low for a wire with its specs. Below is a link to the one I'm referring to. It has excellent reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B005KWHJES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355063273&sr=8-1&keywords=bluerigger+cl3
post #6 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i've just never seen one... i didn't even think anyone made 30gauge wire stock...

personally i wouldn't mess around... i'd use the heavier gauge cable and be done with it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. I was shocked to see that it was a CL3 cable and was only 30awg. All the cables I've seen on Monoprice and Bluejeans that were for in wall installation, I believe were all 24awg. I didn't know if anything less than that was ok for in wall installation. That is why I started this thread.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

One more question. I've read somewhere that round cables are better than the flat cables. Is that correct? If so, why? Thanks
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i believe monoprice sells a 26awg in wall cable, but standard speed only (which may or may not work)...

re: flat vs. round... dunno... it's possible, as cable wire geometry can be rather important... possibly it's easier to properly control the geometry with a round vs. flat cable... i'd guess (if it's true) it comes down to the quality of the available wire stock...

otherwise, there's no "real good reason" why round would be better than flat...

- chris

post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking for the hgh speed cable. Weird they don't offer high speed cables that are less than 24awg for in wall installation. I didn't think the shape would make a difference, but I know I read it somewhere that it did. Just wasn't sure how true it was. Thanks for all your help!!
post #11 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy207 View Post

I've read somewhere that round cables are better than the flat cables. Is that correct? If so, why? Thanks
There is really no reason that has to be the case. Any differences are a function of the tradeoffs make by the manufacturer in construction. It does appear that at least some manufacturers use cheap ribbon cable that neither twists the pairs of the TMDS channels, not individually shields them, both of which are called for in the HDMI specification.

In any case, I don't see any reason to use ribbon cable in a wall.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response and all your help!!
post #13 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

As a follow up, I think I found some cables on Monoprice that fits the requirements I was looking for. Their "Metallic Series" are high speed with the CL2 rating and is only 28awg. They seem to be a fairly new product. Has anyone have experience with these cables? Also, does anyone know why are they called "Metallic Series". I couldn't really tell from the description.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page