HDMI splitter and cable lenght question for running multiple displays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not 100% sure this is the right spot for this post, so Mods feel free to move it as necessary.

Here's my current configuration, idea and my assumed solution. I just wanted to throw it out to the pro's here on the forum to make sure I'm going down the right path before purchasing the equipment.

Current Configuration:
I just bought a PJ (Viewsonic PRO8200) for my Man Cave, which should be here in about a week. I currently have a 50" 720p Plasma in there that the projector will be replacing. I have a PS3 as my sole source (Blu Ray & Gaming) that is hooked via HDMI to my Sony Receiver that then has one HDMI cable out to my 50". Once the PJ arrives, I'd like to take and hang my 50" in an adjacent workout room. My wife is also wanting me to buy and install a 40" in our bedroom so she can watch/listen to the news in the morning while she's getting ready. I was initially planning on getting a smart TV so it would also have netflix capabilities built in vs. having another box to deal with since it will be hung on a swinging arm mount on the wall.

Idea:
I got to thinking and my idea is, once the PJ arrives I'll move my 50" into the workout room, then go and buy a "dumb" 40" TV for the bedroom, then I could use my PS3 as the source for Netflix on all three displays (PJ, 50" & 40").

Assumed Solution:
I'm assuming I could buy a HDMI splitter that is powered. Run the HDMI cable off my PS3 into the powered splitter; splitting it 3 ways. One would go into my Receiver which then will tie it into the PJ for home theater surround, then I would run the other two outputs from the splitter up inside the wall, across the attic and drop them down inside the wall (my bedroom and workout room share the wall) then I could just hang both TV's (50" & 40") hook up the HDMI and using my Bluetooth remote for the PS3, whenever I want to watch netflix or a movie on either TV just run it off the PS3 in the other room.

Now I understand that a splitter will be sending the same signal to all TV's simultaneously, so I won't be able to watch a movie in the Man Cave and something on Netflix at the same time for example. But, I really can't imagine a scenario when I'd be trying to use two of the displays at the same time (and the PS3) anyways.

So will this work? Any input on which splitter to buy? Also my rough measurement for HDMI cable length to go up inside the wall and across the attic would be about 35 feet. I've already started looking at cables and splitters on monoprice.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Liked: 88
You sure can. However, all TVs will receive 720p (no 3D) since HDMI uses the lowest common denominator principle. Look up "lowest common denominator" in this forum's search engine for more information. I'm assuming that your 720p plasma only accepts 720p as input and not 1080p.

If 720p is true then you don't need to worry about high speed or standard speed cable, unless you want to future proof. If you are able to send 1080p to your plasma, then you should get a high speed HDMI cable only. This will cover you for any possible HDMI speed currently planned.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. Never heard of "lowest common denominator principle" but it totally makes sense. To clarify however, does that principle apply only if multiple screens are running simultaneously?

For example if I'm just running my 1080p PJ, (on a splitter from PS3 and two lines going out to two other TV's one lf which is 720p) will it automatically downgrade to 720p just because its hooked up to a 720p device in the other room even though the 720p device is turned off? OR will that only apply if the other device that's 720p is turned on at the same time?

If its the latter, I'm ok with that as I'll only be using one of those devices at a time in most cases. However, since I paid the extra money for the 1080p PJ, if its the former, I'll need to re-evaluate my setup.

In perspective, I would have no issue unplugging the 720p HDMI cable when not in use if that eliminated the "lowest common denominator principle" issue of it applies even with the 720p tv turned off.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Most likely, yes the TV will still send its EDID even when on standby. There is no such thing as an off switch anymore unless you unplug the unit. Repeated connect/disconnect HDMI cable cycles are unwise since damaging the cable connector on the TV or the cable is the likely outcome. Also not wise to hot plug an HDMI cable.

Some TVs will stop sending their EDID when in standby but those are rare. In any event if you try this make sure you get a good return policy so that you can return the splitter if you don't like the results. Make sure you get one that has a wall wart (or wall powered in some way).
post #5 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by West1134 View Post

Hmmm. Never heard of "lowest common denominator principle" but it totally makes sense. To clarify however, does that principle apply only if multiple screens are running simultaneously?
For example if I'm just running my 1080p PJ, (on a splitter from PS3 and two lines going out to two other TV's one lf which is 720p) will it automatically downgrade to 720p just because its hooked up to a 720p device in the other room even though the 720p device is turned off? OR will that only apply if the other device that's 720p is turned on at the same time?
If its the latter, I'm ok with that as I'll only be using one of those devices at a time in most cases. However, since I paid the extra money for the 1080p PJ, if its the former, I'll need to re-evaluate my setup.
In perspective, I would have no issue unplugging the 720p HDMI cable when not in use if that eliminated the "lowest common denominator principle" issue of it applies even with the 720p tv turned off.

You should also check the specs on your plasma HDTV, some sets will accept a 1080p even though their native resolution is 720p. In this case a 1080p signal would go to both and would be down-converted by the HDTV.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Where one of the connected Displays is ‘limiting’ the Source to something less than 1080p stick the source to 1080i – that is a better compromise than 720p.

If your TV’s all play nice you may well find the PS3 will Auto detect what is the highest/lowest (Glass Half Full/Half Empty) format to output depending on which Displays are not in Standby!

For a tricky cable run you may want to consider 2 x CAT6 for the ‘Extended’ runs – that has the advantage of also providing an IR pathway back to the Source from each Zone.

http://www.octavainc.com/1x4%20HDMI%20distribution%20amp%20over%20%20CAT6.html

Keep in mind the PS3 controller is Bluetooth so you may also need to look at Bluetooth to IR converters!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Most likely, yes the TV will still send its EDID even when on standby. There is no such thing as an off switch anymore unless you unplug the unit.
Haven't you heard about nSplitter Pro ?
This HDMI splitter has a special mode (named QuickSwitch) in which building the virtual EDID table it doesn't take into account EDID tables from displays, which are in the stand-by mode.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Doesn't look to be available in the U.S. So, no I hadn't heard of it.

However, some sources don't like EDID changes on the fly. So, even though it seems to solve the format change problem, it may still cause some sources to "have issues".
post #9 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Fantastic input here. Thank you!

I'll have to see where I put my manual for my Plasma TV or pull it up online to see if it'll accept a 1080p signal and then just downgrade it at the set. I have two of the identical units, except one is a year newer than the other. I know there was one point where I setup my PS3 to output 1080p and my TV read "Mode Not Supported" and I had to dig out my RGB cables, hook it up and then go back into the PS3 and change the output for HDMI to 720p to get my display to work properly again. In that instance I would guess the TV doesn't accept 1080p, but the other unit,l which again is a year newer might? I'll look into that.

I'm still kind of in a holding pattern until the PJ shows up. It was delayed due to the holidays, so I won't see it until Jan 2nd at this point which sucks! But once I test it out and am sure I'll be keeping it, I'll dive into the wiring options. My number one priority is making sure I have the best setup dialed in for the PJ, then if I can make it where the other two TV's work off the same source too without any/too much compromise I'll look into that option.

Thanks again for the input, learning a bunch of new stuff here.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
'so I won't see it until Jan 2nd ' - couriers must be keen in your neck of the woods smile.gif

You 'might' get away with scheduling a drop on the 3rd over here but no way on the 2nd smile.gif

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #11 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm just going off the UPS "scheduled delivery estimate" who knows
post #12 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM

New to the forum here. I also have a similar project going on. I bought a powered splitter by viewHD off of amazon. It works perfect on the 32" 1080P vizo LED and is having issues on my 60" LG plasma that is also 1080P. From what it seems like its the hand shake issue between the the LG and the cable box. The Vizo is flaw less. I tried switching all the cables and different ways to power it up just cant seem to get it to work. Somtimes its perfect but most times when I change the channels it just does not want to come through to the LG.

Do you guys know of any other particualr splilttter that might solve this issue better than others? All i am trying to achieve is a TV in one part of the room a slave to the other so the man cave is like the old sports bar!!!

any insight would be much appreciated.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by West1134 View Post

I'm not 100% sure this is the right spot for this post, so Mods feel free to move it as necessary.
Here's my current configuration, idea and my assumed solution. I just wanted to throw it out to the pro's here on the forum to make sure I'm going down the right path before purchasing the equipment.
Current Configuration:
I just bought a PJ (Viewsonic PRO8200) for my Man Cave, which should be here in about a week. I currently have a 50" 720p Plasma in there that the projector will be replacing. I have a PS3 as my sole source (Blu Ray & Gaming) that is hooked via HDMI to my Sony Receiver that then has one HDMI cable out to my 50". Once the PJ arrives, I'd like to take and hang my 50" in an adjacent workout room. My wife is also wanting me to buy and install a 40" in our bedroom so she can watch/listen to the news in the morning while she's getting ready. I was initially planning on getting a smart TV so it would also have netflix capabilities built in vs. having another box to deal with since it will be hung on a swinging arm mount on the wall.
Idea:
I got to thinking and my idea is, once the PJ arrives I'll move my 50" into the workout room, then go and buy a "dumb" 40" TV for the bedroom, then I could use my PS3 as the source for Netflix on all three displays (PJ, 50" & 40").
Assumed Solution:
I'm assuming I could buy a HDMI splitter that is powered. Run the HDMI cable off my PS3 into the powered splitter; splitting it 3 ways. One would go into my Receiver which then will tie it into the PJ for home theater surround, then I would run the other two outputs from the splitter up inside the wall, across the attic and drop them down inside the wall (my bedroom and workout room share the wall) then I could just hang both TV's (50" & 40") hook up the HDMI and using my Bluetooth remote for the PS3, whenever I want to watch netflix or a movie on either TV just run it off the PS3 in the other room.
Now I understand that a splitter will be sending the same signal to all TV's simultaneously, so I won't be able to watch a movie in the Man Cave and something on Netflix at the same time for example. But, I really can't imagine a scenario when I'd be trying to use two of the displays at the same time (and the PS3) anyways.
So will this work? Any input on which splitter to buy? Also my rough measurement for HDMI cable length to go up inside the wall and across the attic would be about 35 feet. I've already started looking at cables and splitters on monoprice.
Thanks for any input!

You have bit similar situation as I have. Your complication is the third display. However follow this thread. I am also trying to converge on the best solution. I will update that thread as I get more information.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek Soszynski View Post

Haven't you heard about nSplitter Pro ?
This HDMI splitter has a special mode (named QuickSwitch) in which building the virtual EDID table it doesn't take into account EDID tables from displays, which are in the stand-by mode.

This seems a nice solution.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page