Minimum AWG for a given HDMI Cable Length/Setup (High-Speed HDMI Cables) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I bought these from Monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240#1024004). The issue is that these cables are too heavy and rigid for use in my HT setup and so they put too much stress on the HDMI inputs/outputs of my AV devices and tend to pull on those ports at an angle. Also, the audio on my A/V receiver cuts out for a second or so every now and then and the picture goes black for a second once in a while. My current setup is as follows: my PS3, Xbox 360, and Comcast HD Cable Box are all connected via HDMI directly to my Sony A/V Receiver and then the HDMI output from the receiver is connected to an HDMI input on my TV. The cable runs from the X360 and cable box to the receiver are each 6 feet long, the run from the PS3 to the receiver is 8 feet long and the run from the receiver to the TV is 10 feet long. All the cables currently are high-speed and 24 AWG. Given these cable lengths and my overall setup, what kind of cables should I get that are thick enough to not lose signal strength/cause any A/V problems yet flexible and light enough to avoid wearing out the HDMI ports on my devices and avoid temporary losses of picture/sound? Is Monoprice the only place I should be looking or are there other good sites as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The link you provided are for 28 AWG cables which are pretty flexible. The 24 AWGs are not flexible.

However, with the distances you listed any certified high speed cable should be giving you a good steady signal. So I don't think the problem is with the cable. You're not even close to 25 feet from any device to the next.

I wonder if your having intermittent contact with the connectors because of the cable flex?

There are HDMI "connector savers" that might be of help with your situation. They are small extender pigtails that basically provide a flexible stub for connection to the components.

I'd try solving that intermittent signal issue before replacing the cables unless you suspect cable damage (in which case, replace cable, of course).
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

The link you provided are for 28 AWG cables which are pretty flexible. The 24 AWGs are not flexible.
However, with the distances you listed any certified high speed cable should be giving you a good steady signal. So I don't think the problem is with the cable. You're not even close to 25 feet from any device to the next.
I wonder if your having intermittent contact with the connectors because of the cable flex?
There are HDMI "connector savers" that might be of help with your situation. They are small extender pigtails that basically provide a flexible stub for connection to the components.
I'd try solving that intermittent signal issue before replacing the cables unless you suspect cable damage (in which case, replace cable, of course).

Actually, my link is for the 24 AWG cables. (like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3662&seq=1&format=2)

I talked to Monoprice tech support and they told me I should use either 24 AWG cables or the following redmere cables: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025501&p_id=9168&seq=1&format=2&rep=daniel

Assuming, those cables are good, I'm looking at getting two 15 ft ones (one from PS3 to AV Receiver and the other from AV Receiver to TV). If get that length, I can pass the cables in a way that minimizes bending the cables at sharp angles and also puts less stress on the connectors. They are taking the 24 AWG cables back and issuing me store credit, which is great considering I'm way past the 30 day return period (closer to 60 days). For now, I'm using older, thinner cables that are barely long enough and even those seem to be causing less audio/video dropouts than the 24 AWG ones.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM

They have a great return policy.

Yes, I didn't go down far enough with your original link.

Sounds like a good plan. At 15' each, I believe either option will solve your HDMI problem.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought 4 of these and as the picture shows the plastic on the connector heads is a bit wider than previous cables I was using. As a result the connector heads of the cables left and right of the center one are bent a bit outward and at an angle. My question is can I safely ignore this since there are no A/V issues at the moment and whether this can damage the HDMI inputs on the AVR/the connectors on the HDMI cables in the long-run? I'm considering getting the ultra slim version of this redmere cable since the connector heads look narrower on them, but I don't want to go through the hassle if it's not necessary.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Notice the slimmer width of the plastic on the ultra slim cable.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I bought 4 of these and as the picture shows the plastic on the connector heads is a bit wider than previous cables I was using. As a result the connector heads of the cables left and right of the center one are bent a bit outward and at an angle. My question is can I safely ignore this since there are no A/V issues at the moment and whether this can damage the HDMI inputs on the AVR/the connectors on the HDMI cables in the long-run? I'm considering getting the ultra slim version of this redmere cable since the connector heads look narrower on them, but I don't want to go through the hassle if it's not necessary.

Normally this is (obviously) not a good way to operate. However, if you are never planning to remove these connectors again then I'd say just leave it. You will put more stress and strain on the connector by undoing and redoing the connector than just leaving them in their current position.

Another possible solution is to get one of those connector savers that monoprice sells and just use that little pigtail to plug into the receiver. I can't think of any reason that would not work although I haven't tried it.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

However, if you are never planning to remove these connectors again then I'd say just leave it. You will put more stress and strain on the connector by undoing and redoing the connector than just leaving them in their current position.

In that case, I'll just leave it alone.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

EDIT: I am returning the slim redmere cables for the ultra-slim redmere cables since at $22 per cable, I want everything to fit perfectly and last for a very long time.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Remove the middle connector first and pull straight back. If you meet resistance then try removing all three at the same time (not easy). Your goal is not to put a sideways force to keep from any socket damage.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

got the ultra-slim ones today... fits much better (picture on right)

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page