post #1 of 39 Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am looking for a solution where
- the output from my AVR can be connected to tow projectors
- Only one projector will be on/active/working/powered at any given point in time
- One projector is 3D, the other one is only 2D

So in a way I am simply looking for a pass thru switch that will make connection between the input (coming from AVR) to only one output (one of the PJs)

I have come across the following but not sure if it will solve my problem

http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-HDMI-Bi-Directional-Switch-with-HDCP-Passthrough_specs.asp

Appreciate your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The switch you showed did not indicate it can passthru 3D.

Also, are you really planning to pull the AC plug on each projector when not in use?
post #3 of 39 Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

The switch you showed did not indicate it can passthru 3D.
Also, are you really planning to pull the AC plug on each projector when not in use?

There is a thing called "switch" that cuts the power... eek.gif

As for pass thru, I am assuming it should be just routing the connections so that point A is connected to either B or C at any given time. Hope fully that is the case. I have asked a question on their website as well. Let's see..
post #4 of 39 Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

- Only one projector will be on/active/working/powered at any given point in time
So in a way I am simply looking for a pass thru switch that will make connection between the input (coming from AVR) to only one output (one of the PJs)
http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-HDMI-Bi-Directional-Switch-with-HDCP-Passthrough_specs.asp

Ok found one more that says it supports 3d. How is it going to get the power with the 25 feet cable is the question..
post #5 of 39 Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
My guess is they are the same thing, a mechanical switch. A mechanical switch will work just fine with 3D. It doesn't know a thing about what is going through it. The only power it will use is for the LEDs. As long as you don't have anything else drawing power from the 5V line of the HDMI cable you should be OK.
post #6 of 39 Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

My guess is they are the same thing, a mechanical switch. A mechanical switch will work just fine with 3D. It doesn't know a thing about what is going through it. The only power it will use is for the LEDs. As long as you don't have anything else drawing power from the 5V line of the HDMI cable you should be OK.

That's what I thought too...
post #7 of 39 Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:

There is a thing called "switch" that cuts the power...

Let me simplify my response. If you are discussing the switch that is on the projector (either activated by remote or by hand), that is a standby / on switch. It does not kill power. It leaves the projector (and most other components these days) in a condition to look for remote inputs and (in many cases) to keep the HDMI line transmitting its EDID. That is why I asked since changing the back and forth has been known to hang some (usually) older sources. eek.gif

If you are talking about using an on/off switch on a 6-outlet surge protector, for instance, that would certainly kill the power but presents other problems for projectors when they use their fans to cool the bulb.

Your comment about,
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman 
Only one projector will be on/active/working/powered at any given point in time
was the reason I asked you the question.
post #8 of 39 Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me simplify my response. If you are discussing the switch that is on the projector (either activated by remote or by hand), that is a standby / on switch. It does not kill power. It leaves the projector (and most other components these days) in a condition to look for remote inputs and (in many cases) to keep the HDMI line transmitting its EDID. That is why I asked since changing the back and forth has been known to hang some (usually) older sources. eek.gif
If you are talking about using an on/off switch on a 6-outlet surge protector, for instance, that would certainly kill the power but presents other problems for projectors when they use their fans to cool the bulb.
Your comment about, was the reason I asked you the question.

I am talking about cutting the power from outside (like from surge strip etc.). So here's going to be the operation steps.

1. Decide which PJ is going to be used. (3d or 2d)
2. If 3d, then push the HDMI switch such that the output from AVR will route/connect to 3d PJ.
3. Now push the on/off switch of the surge/power strip that supplies power to the 3d PJ
4. Start making all HT devices on (out of standby/sleep mode)
5. After done viewing put all HT devices on and after PJ goes to standby (after cooling off), cut the power to the PJ from the surge strip.
6. Repeat these steps every time for 3d or 2d

This is what I meant when I said only one PJ will be on/active/powered at any given point.
post #9 of 39 Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am talking about cutting the power from outside (like from surge strip etc.). So here's going to be the operation steps.
1. Decide which PJ is going to be used. (3d or 2d)
2. If 3d, then push the HDMI switch such that the output from AVR will route/connect to 3d PJ.
3. Now push the on/off switch of the surge/power strip that supplies power to the 3d PJ
4. Start making all HT devices on (out of standby/sleep mode)
5. After done viewing put all HT devices on and after PJ goes to standby (after cooling off), cut the power to the PJ from the surge strip.
6. Repeat these steps every time for 3d or 2d
This is what I meant when I said only one PJ will be on/active/powered at any given point.

One more option to achieve the same I believe is by modding this device
It is mentioned somewhere on avsforum that ypu can reverse the diodes and it becomes 1:2 from original 2:1
Again have no confirmation if that will work with the 3d/2d combo..
post #10 of 39 Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok. The seller has responded. This will work for what I want it to be.
See the last question/answer here
post #11 of 39 Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
A 1x2 DA with a ‘Forced 3D’ EDID mode is another option - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

AVR’s are notoriously tricky to integrate with a DA on the Output side of the AVR and messing about with the mechanical Switch may confuse your AVR!

‘Yes, this should work well for you’ – is that the same as saying ‘it may not work’ smile.gif

Never assume anything will be 100% with HDMI!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #12 of 39 Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

A 1x2 DA with a ‘Forced 3D’ EDID mode is another option - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html
AVR’s are notoriously tricky to integrate with a DA on the Output side of the AVR and messing about with the mechanical Switch may confuse your AVR!
‘Yes, this should work well for you’ – is that the same as saying ‘it may not work’ smile.gif
Never assume anything will be 100% with HDMI!
Joe

Wooo.. That seems too expensive a solution.
IBIS is sold at amazon. So I think I will take may chances else back it goes..
post #13 of 39 Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Not sure how "pushed" the bandwidth is for 3d BUT you may find that a mechanical switch might have some issues at higher bandwidth since there might be "discontinuities" at the switch "points" that cause "transmission issues" (eg. reflections, etc). I have used a mechanical switch in both "forward" and "reverse modes" and in general they work fine although as I indicate, I did seem to detect some issue with trying to push 1080 / 60 stuff thru on occasion. Having said that, in general they are so cheap, it is worth the gamble. Just wanted to let you know of some possible issues.
post #14 of 39 Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Bandwidth wise -

720p < 1080i < 1080p/24 < 1080p/24 3D < 1080p/60 < 1080p/60 3D (some 3D games use this)

A good test for 3D is if you can handle 1080p/60 bandwidth you should be able to handle 1080p/24 3D (Blu-Ray 3D).
post #15 of 39 Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bandwidth wise -
720p < 1080i < 1080p/24 < 1080p/24 3D < 1080p/60 < 1080p/60 3D (some 3D games use this)
A good test for 3D is if you can handle 1080p/60 bandwidth you should be able to handle 1080p/24 3D (Blu-Ray 3D).

My main cable is DVI Dual link. I am using adapter at either end to convert to HDMI. In which case this switch may also be useful (which provides both HDMI and DVI switching).
It does not say anywhere that it is bidirectional. I can understand if HDMI is not bidirectional, but I guess should..

Has anyone used this and can confirm if at least DVI is bidirectional?
post #16 of 39 Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM

HDMI audio and video is simplex - goes one way. The ARC function is also simplex but in the other direction. The only truly bi-directional features are those that require handshaking for HDMI.

DVI is very similar in structure but only generates a video signal. That's why a very simple adapter can convert DVI to HDMI.
post #17 of 39 Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI audio and video is simplex - goes one way. The ARC function is also simplex but in the other direction. The only truly bi-directional features are those that require handshaking for HDMI.
DVI is very similar in structure but only generates a video signal. That's why a very simple adapter can convert DVI to HDMI.

I was talking about the HDMI connection on that switch to be bidirectional. It is just connecting point A to B or A to C, so that should not be a problem unless they have added some components that prevents it.
post #18 of 39 Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 AM

If it is like the Monoprice switch, then there are diodes included that make it unidirectional. But, without a schematic or opening it, I don't think anyone will know.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it is like the Monoprice switch, then there are diodes included that make it unidirectional. But, without a schematic or opening it, I don't think anyone will know.

I think with my setup I will be able to use just the pigtail splitter. This is because only one PJ will be on and other will be off (complete power cut not just standby). This should not force the EDID as there exists only one connection..
post #20 of 39 Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 AM

As long as you always do that, you should be OK. The difficulty, being human, is that we have a tendancy to forget to power-off one before powering-up the other. So, expect some surprises (usally a source hang-up or unexpected settings) when that happens. Nothing that a reset won't fix until the next time.

Also remember to check how long you can go on each projector without power before you lose your settings.

Finally, I had forgotten to mention this before (sorry) but you may not need to ever power-off the 3D projector. It's only the 2D projector that will get in the way. So, leave the 3D on. When you want to watch 3D movies, power-off the 2D projector. Hopefully all of your sources will resync to the 3D EDID and you'll be OK. If you're watching 2D, then you don't care if the 3D projector is still on.
post #21 of 39 Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As long as you always do that, you should be OK. The difficulty, being human, is that we have a tendancy to forget to power-off one before powering-up the other. So, expect some surprises (usally a source hang-up or unexpected settings) when that happens. Nothing that a reset won't fix until the next time.
Also remember to check how long you can go on each projector without power before you lose your settings.
Finally, I had forgotten to mention this before (sorry) but you may not need to ever power-off the 3D projector. It's only the 2D projector that will get in the way. So, leave the 3D on. When you want to watch 3D movies, power-off the 2D projector. Hopefully all of your sources will resync to the 3D EDID and you'll be OK. If you're watching 2D, then you don't care if the 3D projector is still on.

As a matter of fact, I do not keep any of my AV gear in standby mode anytime when not in use. It is always powered off. I have three surge strips. One powers the AV receiver and PS3, remaining two power the 2 PJs. After done viewing the switch on the surge go to "off" position cutting power to all devices.
So I think that solves everything...
post #22 of 39 Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a matter of fact, I do not keep any of my AV gear in standby mode anytime when not in use. It is always powered off. I have three surge strips. One powers the AV receiver and PS3, remaining two power the 2 PJs. After done viewing the switch on the surge go to "off" position cutting power to all devices.
So I think that solves everything...

I was thinking something like this should work. But for some reason they mention is does not pass thru HDCP
Why can't they make a simple 19 pin parallel connections at the two outputs...
post #23 of 39 Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM

From the Monoprice website:

"Note that this splitter does not pass the HDCP copy protection information, so it is unsuited for use in home theater systems. Please use one of our powered splitters for home theater applications. "

Usually passively splitting a digital signal is a non-starter. You're likely to change the square waves enough that the decoder won't recognize the 1s and 0s.

So there really isn't such a thing as a "simple parallel connection" for high speed digital connections. You don't see too many Cat 6 network connection passive splitters either.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So there really isn't such a thing as a "simple parallel connection" for high speed digital connections. You don't see too many Cat 6 network connection passive splitters either.

Again why should it be an issue if the other connection practically does not exist? Shouldn't it (the splitter) be just like a small extended piece of cable in between?
post #25 of 39 Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Again why should it be an issue if the other connection practically does not exist? Shouldn't it (the splitter) be just like a small extended piece of cable in between?

No. You have to understand how the high speed data is converted to an electrical signal. Change the impedance/capacitance of the connection and you change the electrical characteristics of the circuit. In addition, the return EDIDs would collide and a few other things would happen that are bad. HDMI is a digital signal, not an analog signal. There are also portions of the signal that go in the opposite direction of the audio and video data.
post #26 of 39 Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. You have to understand how the high speed data is converted to an electrical signal. Change the impedance/capacitance of the connection and you change the electrical characteristics of the circuit. In addition, the return EDIDs would collide and a few other things would happen that are bad. HDMI is a digital signal, not an analog signal. There are also portions of the signal that go in the opposite direction of the audio and video data.

Yes. I do agree with all that. What I was talking about was from one device at a time point of view (the second not even powered). Anyways I have ordered a Y splitter so let' see how it goes.
I will report my findings once I test it.
post #27 of 39 Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 AM

OK. I understand now.

It will depend upon how much of the HDMI circuit is disconnected by turning off the power.

Edit: I thought about this some more. You may have a few hurdles. Remember that supply power at 19VDC is provided in the HDMI line by the source. With the splitter the total power could be reduced by up to half (or very little) but it should still be 19VDC going into the powered-off projector. That also means that the respose from the other projector will be seen by the powered-off projector.

Also, HDCP was designed to prevent "snooping" attacks. In other words leads placed on the HDMI lines designed to capture the signals. That's very similar to a passive splitter and so that may be the cause of the HDCP warning.

I'll be curious to hear your results. Please be careful with your equipment since the power levels on the HDMI lines are higher than standard computer-type power levels.
post #28 of 39 Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My main cable is DVI Dual link. I am using adapter at either end to convert to HDMI. In which case this switch may also be useful (which provides both HDMI and DVI switching).
It does not say anywhere that it is bidirectional. I can understand if HDMI is not bidirectional, but I guess should..
Has anyone used this and can confirm if at least DVI is bidirectional?

The manufacturer reported (after testing) that this device is bidirectional for both HDMI and DVI...
That is good news..
post #29 of 39 Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please be careful with your equipment since the power levels on the HDMI lines are higher than standard computer-type power levels.

Do you think this will cause any damage to the equipment?

BTW I have ordered this DVI splitter (as my main cable is DVI and I use adapters at each end to convert to HDMI)
post #30 of 39 Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM

Unfortunately you are out of my experience base. I don't know if anyone else here has tried this.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page