LG SMART TV 47" 3D 240HZ STREAMING INTERNET - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, we recently just purchased the above tv and i don't think i'm getting the best picture like we should be getting. my husband thinks i'm nuts because it took him a few days to see what i had seen all along with our picture. its not the ghost people talk about seeing but its something going on like interference when someone turns around quickly or any quick movement. you can see the hand or whatever move from start to finish. hard to explain. when we purchased the tv the guy said we needed to change to a new hdmi 240hz which we did. i think we got a great deal on the tv BUT!, now i will post what i think and see if anyone understands my train of thought here. we have time-warner cable and the tv is hooked up with the 240hz hdmi cable. at the top of the tv screen when i click on settings it tells me the box is 60hz.. hmm, my thought is that i'm not getting any better picture or what our tv is capable of because the box only puts out 60hz. am i right? and if everyone is going to this type of tv, then why not upgrade the cable box? i'm confused and slightly pissed if i'm right. our sharp 52" tv about a year ago started blinking on and off the power button along with the opc? or whatever you call it. it just clicked out and didn't come back on. we had it fixed, they had it awhile and when we got it back sometimes it would hum. of course husband couldn't hear that either! then it started humming and never stopped, last week it went off again just like last year and didn't come back on just the blinking of the opc and power button. i love this tv love the picture but we think it wasn't fixed in the first place and should we bother to get it fixed? is there anything we can to get the picture we thought we would get? its a clear picture but those little zitches is getting on my nerves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 88
Interesting New Year's (and first) post...

First, you've fallen for the hype. There is no such thing as a 240Hz HDMI cable. The cable doesn't "know" anything about refresh rates. In fact, as you found out, the input signal is 60Hz and not 240Hz. So even if the cable had something to do with it (and it doesn't), the update rate (refresh rate) is coming into the TV at 60Hz.

That's where your problem is however. LCD TVs basically take the picture that is being updated at 60 times a second and "create" the missing 180 frames a second to make a picture that updates at 240 frames a second. This attempts to make the picture smoother since LCD TVs (even those with LED backlights) are slow in changing pictures compared to other types of TVs.

In addition, many TVs include settings for motion compensation. This is an attempt by TV manufacturers to compensate for some of the slowness by predicting how the picture will change and adjusting the picture accordingly.

You are not the first to notice that the combination of these two items causes artifacts on the picture. Many times these artifacts appear to be comet-like blobs around fast moving items and other things you wouldn't normally want to see.

A third possibility is that you have the sharpness setting too high on the TV. This can cause a ring around objects. The store settings / default settings for contrast, brightness and sharpness are all inappropriate for a home setting.

So, what to do?

1) Reduce your update rate to 120Hz.
2) Lower the amount of motion compensation to its lowest setting number. If numbers aren't available, set to Low or Off.
3) Properly adjust your TV settings. Unfortunately without your model number I can't be more specific. Find the model number and then go to this part of the AVSForum: http://www.avsforum.com/f/166/lcd-flat-panel-displays
Look up the "owners only" thread for your TV. Usually someone has posted their settings, which will make a good starting point.

Finally, a hum is a possible sign of a power supply in distress. It usually means the 60Hz alternating current signal is getting to the audio amplifier. However, it can also be normal for the cheap type of audio amps used in almost every flat panel TV available now.

Did you have a warranty on the repair? That would be one avenue to pursue with Sharp or the repair company. We use Sharp TVs for the flat panels and haven't had any power supply issues (knock on wood).

However, I think your LG can give you as good a picture as your Sharp did if you apply the appropriate settings. Unfortunately LCDs are not a perfect technology. Today's are much better than those of 15 years ago but they still aren't perfect. Each manufacturer still has some issues and LG's seems to be those artifacts (you're not the first). Sharp's issues are usually "clouds" that appear during really dark scenes. Luckily there are way to mitigate the LG issues (unlike the Sharp's cloudiness patterns).
post #3 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

the tv is a LG LM7600 SERIES its a led lcd smart tv 240hz, and as far as the humming there was no humming until they fixed the tv and the picture was always great on that tv, wasn't even a problem at all with that tv until it decided to once again click off and the lights on the front of the tv started blinking, opc and power button
post #4 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Your actual model number is a 47LM7600. The 7600-series is just what they put on the marketing flyers and front of the boxes.

The owner's only thread is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread

Sample settings are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/630#post_22034151

Looks like vertical and horizontal sharpness should be set to 25. TruMotion should be set to off.

For the Sharp, I suggest checking on the repair warranty and also talking with Sharp customer service.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
It's everything that Andy said. 240Hz is just hype (60Hz x 4) and all mfrs do that. For motion blur on the LG try changing the settings on TruMotion or turn them off altogether. The ONLY HDMI cable you need is a Certified High Speed HDMI cable. Period. And you don't have to pay a premium price for it either (IOW, don't buy the grossly overpriced "M" brand). Use the default setting for awhile (Movie, Standard, Game,etc) and get used to what each setting does to the pq and what user configurable settings are available to you for each. If you do use someone else's settings don't be surprised if they don't look good on your set. TV's are manufactured to tolerance specs and those tolerances will be different from set to set, even within the exact same model line, so settings may not, and usually aren't, transferable from tv to tv. Your viewing environment also plays a big part in how your tv looks. I'd suggest getting used to the settings first and then getting a copy of the free AVS HD709 disk (use the Search feature) and setting your own basics (brightness, contrast, sharpness, aspect, and color).
post #6 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

yes thats what i posted, that is the model #
post #7 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ ok?
post #8 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

ok what? lol
post #9 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

actually called LG when i first got it hooked up the picture was awful, husband gets irritated at me because he thinks i'm too picky. i didn't pay for a crappy tv, he finally noticed what i kept telling him to look at.. now i don't know what to do about it. anyway LG talked me thru the set up process and the picture is better but still seems to be dragging? just can't explain it. will the cable co. ever update to anything above 60hz? i'll try a few f these suggestions but i think i've already went thru all of that with the LG people.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Please stop with the 60Hz stuff! It's not the cable company. The standard for video in the United States is 60Hz. In Europe it is 50Hz. Movies are at 24Hz. Nobody is at 240Hz. Nobody. Really.

Your TV takes the 60Hz picture and makes it into 240Hz.

Actually, I take it all back. Call the cable company. Call the Blu-Ray manufacturers and demand your rightful 240Hz update rate. Give them a good chuckle!

BTW, I explained 60Hz and 240Hz about six appends back and Otto attempted to about two appends after mine. If you're going to ask for help, the least you can do is actually read the responses. But, I surrender...
post #11 of 17 Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

yes you did explain it and btw thats exactly what i said in my first post. what i wanted to know , was there anything i could do to make the picture stop doing the streaking, i didn't need for you to explain what was going on, i know nothing about electronics but had already figured that out. we bought the tv thinking we wanted to get the best tv out there for our money which i think we did, problem is it doesn't matter, i don't need a smartass making snide remarks. tried what you said and it didn't help, i read both of your posts and the other person's post, are you both smartass's? yeah i thought so. you're not as smart as you think you are because you only confirmed what i already knew and knew nothing about fixing it so get off your high horse. if you don't want to post replies then don't post them! simple right?
post #12 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie View Post

yes you did explain it and btw thats exactly what i said in my first post. what i wanted to know , was there anything i could do to make the picture stop doing the streaking, i didn't need for you to explain what was going on, i know nothing about electronics but had already figured that out. we bought the tv thinking we wanted to get the best tv out there for our money which i think we did, problem is it doesn't matter, i don't need a smartass making snide remarks. tried what you said and it didn't help, i read both of your posts and the other person's post, are you both smartass's? yeah i thought so. you're not as smart as you think you are because you only confirmed what i already knew and knew nothing about fixing it so get off your high horse. if you don't want to post replies then don't post them! simple right?

As far as I can see, they did tell you what to try and this is the first mention by you that what they told you to try didn't work.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie View Post

Well, we're certainly smarter than you. But, as you said, that isn't saying much. Please send my sympathies to your husband. I understand now why he gets so upset (as you wrote).

You should learn to listen to people who were (past tense) trying to help you. A little reading would go a long way, since only one menu setting change is likely needed to fix the TV's (not your) problem. What you interpretted as a "smart" answer initially was actually a real attempt to help you and you didn't even realize it. Very sad.

Good luck with the cable company and watch your language on this forum in the future. Also remember that when you say you did someone (like post the model number or say that you mentioned you talked with LG) we can all go back and read in all 7 of your previous posts that you didn't. Maybe you should read your own posts, as well?

Feel free to try another part of the AVSForum since what you are asking has nothing to do with HDMI and so your strange appends are way off topic. Maybe another part of the AVSForum will have more patience.

In any event, I'm done responding to you. People who actually want help will get my responses instead. Good luck! If all else fails, you can try some Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the streaking (although I wouldn't recommend it).
post #14 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Melonie – to ‘Fix’ the 60Hz (broadcast) or 24 fps (frames per second on Blu-ray) you would have to go all the way back to the camera utilised to capture the video or film content you are viewing!

As others have said what the TV manufacturers are currently doing is trying to invent a way to mask that their Display devices often don’t handle motion too well with current Capture/Edit/Broadcast/Playback delivery chains so they ‘make up’ non-existent frames and try and convince you they are doing you a favour by including processing to mask flaws in the Display device you just purchased!

Now some folk seem to be completely oblivious to these ‘flaws’ which are glaringly obvious to others – there is no sense shouting at folk who try and give you a heads-up that the problem is inherent to the TV you have chosen, other than disabling all TV processing, setting sharpness to near zero and choosing ‘Movie’ mode (if you are viewing in controlled lighting) there is little (apart from replacing the TV) you can do to ‘fix’ a TV with poor video processing!

Joe

PS Moves are afoot to ‘shoot’ Film and Video at higher Frame Rates – though not everyone likes it!!! http://gizmodo.com/5969817/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-masterclass-in-why-48-fps-fails

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #15 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Turn off TruMotion (motion interpolation) if that option is available on your model of LG. It is on mine. Don't use it for television or movies (streamed or BD/DVD) and see if that helps. If it still appears on streamed material, it's your provider and there isn't much you can do about it. Some tv's handle motion interpolation better than others. 3D/240Hz, IMO, is all marketing hype and is more problematic than it's worth.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Joe / Otto / others, there is no reason to keep answering this one. She's not coming back, if you look at the last append times. And, even if she did, I predict she wouldn't believe your answers anyway.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

You're probably right chief. It's frustrating at times trying to help people frown.gif
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page