HDMI 1 x 2 BIDIRECTIONAL SWITCH - FOR VIDEO and AUDIO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a SONY BRAVIA and SONY sound system 5:1. I want to use a bidirectional HDMI switch to take the HMDI signals from my DVD, DirectTV, APPLE TV and computer output to EITHER the SONY sound system or to another input on the TV which would then use the TV's normal Audio. We do not like to use the full blown 5:1 sound system for the morning news. My idea is to take a 4 x 1 HDMI switch, hook all my inputs to this device. The connect the OUTPUT from the 4 x 1 to an INPUT of a switched 1 x 2 devicel. Then I could send the signal to two different outputs ---one direct to the TV and one to the SONY Sound system. The sound system output would then be connected to another HDMI input on the TV. Hopefully, the switch would then allow me to have news and other non-musical programs go direct to the TV and all others as desired get the full on 5:1 sound output. Will this work? Is this the way to do it? With the bidriectional swicth from SEWELL ( http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-HDMI-Bi-Directional-Switch-with-HDCP-Passthrough.asp) work? Has anyone done this set up?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM

Liked: 88
Let me respond to your quesiton with a question (eventually).

First, hopefully you understand that:

1) The HDMI cable holds one audio and one video stream at any given time. If you need two of any of those at any time, then it isn't HDMI.
2) Most devices (almost all devices) are still active even when you press "off" (it's really standby).

So, given those two items, how will your combo switch provide multichannel audio to your Sony and stereo audio to your TV?

You may also want to use the "Search This Forum" function to lookup "Lowest Common Denominator" as it applies to HDMI. There has been at least one thread very recently about this topic.

BTW, a much easier method than ganging two switches together is called a matrix switcher. Multiple inputs go to multiple outputs but even that needs to solve the lowest common denominator question.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I only want active HDMI and audio to either the SONY SOUND SYSTEM of to the TV itself. I now have all four signals going to a 4 x 1 switch (A) and then connected the single output to the SONY system. That output form the SONY goes to INPUT #1 on the TV. Works fine, of course, as i can select whichever device i want to view with the remote. What I now want to do, is put a 2 x 1 (B) bi-directional selector switch from the output (A). From the second switch (B) will go to HDMI input #2 on the TV, which will give me, hopefully, the HDMI signal for both video and audio directly to the TV, no 5-1 sound, just audio and video from the TV speakers alone, as if we did not have a Sony sound system at all. Music, concerts, etc. run through the Sound Sysem to input #1, news, weather, standard TV to the TV only through Input #2. Will this work? I see that the HDMI Matrix Swicth will certainly work,, but they are pricey....$500 or more. Thanks
post #4 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
a 4X2 monoprice matrix switch is $60.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAUDIO View Post

I have a SONY BRAVIA and SONY sound system 5:1. I want to use a bidirectional HDMI switch to take the HMDI signals from my DVD, DirectTV, APPLE TV and computer output to EITHER the SONY sound system or to another input on the TV which would then use the TV's normal Audio. We do not like to use the full blown 5:1 sound system for the morning news. My idea is to take a 4 x 1 HDMI switch, hook all my inputs to this device. The connect the OUTPUT from the 4 x 1 to an INPUT of a switched 1 x 2 devicel. Then I could send the signal to two different outputs ---one direct to the TV and one to the SONY Sound system. The sound system output would then be connected to another HDMI input on the TV. Hopefully, the switch would then allow me to have news and other non-musical programs go direct to the TV and all others as desired get the full on 5:1 sound output. Will this work? Is this the way to do it? With the bidriectional swicth from SEWELL ( http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-HDMI-Bi-Directional-Switch-with-HDCP-Passthrough.asp) work? Has anyone done this set up?
Thanks

That IBIS switch should work or you as it is claimed to be acting as A/B switch. Another option is this.

Edit. : I am assuming you will use separate 4x1 HDMI switch before this device. Also you may want to follow this related thread
post #6 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

That IBIS switch should work or you as it is claimed to be acting as A/B switch. Another option is this.
Edit. : I am assuming you will use separate 4x1 HDMI switch before this device. Also you may want to follow this related thread

No, it won't work - at least not for what the OP wants to do with multichannel audio. You need to remember how EDIDs work and that the OP doesn't want to use an AVR when watching TV.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I bought one today - exactly as you stated! We'll see if it works and I'll post here to confirm. Thanks to the FORUM for all your prompt replies and help.
Really appreciate it.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I use one 4X2 (I assume that is the reply?????), in front of my receiver.... gives me audio and video out to one tv and then only video out post AVR to a TV and projector (avr has two hdmi outputs but can only option audio and video out to both sinks OR video only to both sinks... not a matrix switch inside AVR). Anyways, the monoprice switch works well including long run "support". Good Luck.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

I use one 4X2 (I assume that is the reply?????), in front of my receiver.... gives me audio and video out to one tv and then only video out post AVR to a TV and projector (avr has two hdmi outputs but can only option audio and video out to both sinks OR video only to both sinks... not a matrix switch inside AVR). Anyways, the monoprice switch works well including long run "support". Good Luck.

How did you get around the stereo-only issue? I'm always open to learning a new way of doing something, so I'm very curious why this works.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Andy... I was probably a little unclear in my brief description. Basically, I have denon receiver (4308) which has two hdmi outputs (bound... same signal out). The receiver only allows a choice of "audio at amp" or "audio at TV".... not both .... meaning you can't have one hdmi with a "tv for audio and video over hdmi" and the other video only..... this is an issue and I get around it "partially"... and by that I mean another TV gets "audio and video" first (before the receiver... ie. "direct" from the matrix switch), while the other two sinks (TV and projector) get their video only from "post receiver" hdmi. As a result, my receiver does all of the "important" processing and "sees" everything and is not affected by the "stereo mode". When I said earlier "partially", The TV that gets video and audio receives a sat box signal as this is the only "pre receiver" source input into the monoprice switch.... :-) This allows me to basically control most of my "main" setups (ie. RPTV or projector setups on main floor rooms) from switching of the receiver appropriately to a given input WITHOUT touching the monoprice switch as the second second output of the monoprice switch feeds "Sat IN" to the appropriate receiver input. This is kind of a "wife factor" as in the main areas, people don't have to worry about doing any extra switching to get at "things" (simple receiver device selection and everything else is "done"). Upstairs, the TV is a "simple" setup of just a plasma TV. IF I wanted I could feed additional source inputs into the monoprice switch and then switch the monoprice switch appropriately to distribute those signals thru to the receiver for further switching and processing... not as nice but doable. Hopefully, that helps a bit more.

PS... you are kind of right about the "stereo part"... I haven't track it that much as my configuration has been changing a lot recently with lots of xmas "toys". "stereo" appears to be the result as expected but turning the matrix switch off allows "auto" functions to kick in in the receiver along with "secondary" input connectivity that does allow for "full audio" at the two post receiver sinks.... that's why my wife hates me... :-)

PPS. After your "query" about the "stereo issue", I did some quick "testing" this morning. I inserted a manual hdmi switch in front of the matrix switch... thus the signal chain is sat receiver, manual switch, matrix switch (out to TV, plus out to receiver), receiver -> out to projector and rptv. I can "fool" the system by switching off the switches in "some form" (didn't play with all permutations) and then back on. This then allows the receiver to "see" a non-stereo signal coming in on satellite where as before it was a "stereo view". Not sure how long it would go like that but I have seen it in the past in similar forms cause by "resets" due to power issues (we get a number of bumps here .... big complaint for a major city... :-(((( ) and when things come back up, on occasion, end up in this "forced" mode, hence my original "partially" post. Again sorry for the long description of events and things.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM

That is very interesting. I was wondering how the sources would be changed by the manual switch. Does the same thing happen for Blu-Ray?

I like your choice in receiver (I have the 5308A now). Your switching description took me a couple of reads before I understood but I think I got what you are doing. If you want to eliminate the power issues, a UPS (ours are from APC) solves the problem. Only strange thing is when the lights go off and the TVs and audio stay on. It takes a second to realize what happened.

BTW, if I were in charge of the HDMI spec for a day, I'd add the ability to send a second audio stream. It would solve so many of these integration issues. The question would be would you mandate a stereo stream or a multichannel stream as the second stream?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
post #12 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually with most receivers processing "dolby PLII plus stuff", I am not sure how much "stuff" is lost or gained so perhaps a stereo signal is OK. Actually two of the main reasons for my setup was I needed to operated (and listen) to a TV upstairs that had no AVR associated with it AND needed to also operate a system (two but one at a time) with an AVR. The denon (at least this model) doesn't allow one output hdmi to have audio and video out while that other has only video... and I didn't want to "back feed" from my downstairs RPTV to my AVR (optically) ... that is fine for sat signals and others BUT not for bluray which needs that processing in the AVR for "full sound". As for your other question... I haven't tried the setup for bluray because I have two players which are stationed appropriately. The UPS is an option that I am considering however, a lot of the "bumps" are during "non viewing times" but because most stuff is on standby, they do tend to "reconfigure" in some "fashion" sometimes of which bothers other members of the family... :-)
post #13 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
NBAUDIO – the reality is that an HDMI + Optical Switch will be a far better solution for you.

Set your Sources to HDMI + 2ch audio via HDMI + simultaneous 5.1 DD/DTS via Optical.

Via the Switch you can view/listen on the TV or set the TV volume to Zero and listen in DD/DTS via the AVR.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x1%20ARC%20port_pro.html

Joe

PS If your TV happens to offer you an ARC enabled HDMI port you can Output the TV tuner audio via the Optical out on the Switch too!

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #14 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM

You know, Joe, going back to his original question, he never mentioned Blu-Ray or computer audio. So, yes, if all the OP is doing is satellite (or Apple TV) and DVD, then there is no benefit to HDMI multichannel that is not also provided by S/PDIF coax or optical, since he is limited to Dolby Digital (or DTS on DVD) for multichannel.

If the question had included Blu-Ray I was going to disagree with you, but you're absolutely right with the way the OP asked the question.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

But I think the OP might have been "choking" on the price.... :-)
post #16 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Budwich – yes was expecting the ‘how much’ reaction eek.gif

Andy – sometimes the techo speak spirals out of control and us AV Anoraks get way too excited biggrin.gif

Joe

post #17 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

While we are "here", this product is kind of a good example.... nice unit, capable of good things. but one of my "peeves" (not to pick on any manufacturer or supplier or product... just an example) is the lack of specification on "reach".... but they go out of their way to mention their "clear eye".... why is it so hard to give a one line of spec on incoming and outgoing "signal reach" that one can "expect". Yes, I know it probably can't be expressed precisely without a lot of riders but I think it would help a lot of users instead of "clear eyeing" them... something like "nominally, with 28ga, and 1080/60 (10G)... what ever, 35 ft distance output reach, receive distance 15ft, 28ga"... just an example.... yes its very dependant on source and sink but at least it gives the user some "bogeys". Anyways, I hope the OP gets his layout working optimally, that's ultimately what it about.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Cheers budwich - one of my projects over the next few months is to tidy up some of the ‘tech speak’ on the website!

I won’t try and push anything past 15m with HDMI and will utilise 24AWG cables in our test rig and on installs.

Joe

post #19 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Just hooked up the 4 x 2 HDMI switch ($60 - as promised) and it works PERFECTLY! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I am now a hero again to my wife, which after all is the ultimate goal. We can select any of four inputs on the switch - DirectTV, Blu-Ray Player, Computer, or Apple TV. Those Inputs either go to the HDMI input #1 which is DIRECT to the TV audio speakers....OR.....with a simple click on the switch and a change to HDMI #3 on the TV, I can run any of the four signals through the 5:1 SONY surround sound system. Thanks again to the forum....did not even know such switches existed. GREAT INFORMATION and really much appreciated.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World