Video Keeps Cutting Out - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Sorry you are still having problems. Unfortunately it could be firmware in the switch as well as any of the other devices. Put the two devices together and you could have a problem. Try two different devices and everything works.

The nature of firmware engineering is usually (but not always) closer to "slinging software" rather than engineering. I've found that for some reason many software development techniques are thrown out the door because someone labels the code "firmware" instead of "software". So, a once every two month glitch would not be uncommon with these devices.

The best solution is usually to force a reset back to the factory settings. Sometimes just unplugging does not do this - consult the owners manual.

Even a quality matrix switch like Octavas would still hang every two months for me (sorry Joe - but to be fair that was an older matrix switcher). I know it was the switch because unplugging the switch for about 2 minutes and then replugging would restore everything back to normal.

I also had to unplug all of the HDMI cables into and out of the switch to force a re-handshake. I knew it was the switch because if all I did was force a re-handshake, it didn't fix anything. The same with just removing power from each component - no change. The key was the matrix switch reboot.

It was one of the reasons I finally changed over to an AVR with HDMI. But the funny thing is that someone with different components connected to the matrix switch would probably never have seen the problem.

Of course, even changing to an AVR doesn't guarantee good firmware. The forii are littered with complaints of AVR problems that are magicaly corrected by firmware updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Sorry you are still having problems. Unfortunately it could be firmware in the switch as well as any of the other devices. Put the two devices together and you could have a problem. Try two different devices and everything works.

The nature of firmware engineering is usually (but not always) closer to "slinging software" rather than engineering. I've found that for some reason many software development techniques are thrown out the door because someone labels the code "firmware" instead of "software". So, a once every two month glitch would not be uncommon with these devices.

The best solution is usually to force a reset back to the factory settings. Sometimes just unplugging does not do this - consult the owners manual.

Even a quality matrix switch like Octavas would still hang every two months for me (sorry Joe - but to be fair that was an older matrix switcher). I know it was the switch because unplugging the switch for about 2 minutes and then replugging would restore everything back to normal.

I also had to unplug all of the HDMI cables into and out of the switch to force a re-handshake. I knew it was the switch because if all I did was force a re-handshake, it didn't fix anything. The same with just removing power from each component - no change. The key was the matrix switch reboot.

It was one of the reasons I finally changed over to an AVR with HDMI. But the funny thing is that someone with different components connected to the matrix switch would probably never have seen the problem.

Of course, even changing to an AVR doesn't guarantee good firmware. The forii are littered with complaints of AVR problems that are magicaly corrected by firmware updates.

Thanks for the writeup. Unfortunately, the manual is more like a pamphlet. I don't see anything about resetting it to factory settings. Maybe I will contact Monoprice on Monday to see if they can tell me. If this continues, I'll probably change to TOSLINK, return the switch, and use the store credit to stock up on some high-speed HDMI cables. I always like to have some on hand for friends and family.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #33 of 33 Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else decides to use a similar setup. My problems have come back. The intermittent blinking has returned. I also occasionally have an issue where I have audio but no video. This is only the case with my cable box. All of the other sources have audio and video.

I am sick of playing with this and hearing about it from my wife. I'm just going to connect everything to my TV via HDMI and output the TV to the soundbar via optical. I'm sure that I will lose something sound-wise but I will more than make up for it with the loss of stress.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page