HDMI Sparkles in picture with Monoprice Redmere 40ft cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon,

My Onkyo Amp is about 40 ft away from my TV.

My currently setup is:

xBox 360 -> HDMI Redmere 40ft (monoprice) -> Onkyo Amp
Samsung HD Cable box -> HDMI Redmere 40ft (monoprice) -> Onkyo Amp
LG BP620 Blu-Ray -> HDMI Redmere 40ft (monoprice) -> Onkyo Amp

and

Onkyo Amp -> HDMI Redmere 40ft (monoprice) -> Samsung TV

The xBox 360 and Samsung HD Cable box works perfectly fine, however the Blu-Ray is getting lots of sparkles and keep losing video signal every 2-3 secs. Thinking it was the cables, if tested this cable on the xBox and it works fine.. So it's not the cable I think..

I've also tried both HDMI cable from the xbox and HD Cable box to the Blu-Ray and they give the same results... sparkles and losing video on the blu-ray.

so I took another blu-ray in my house (Samsung BD5300)... and same thing with this one... sparkles and losing video ?

Then decided to plug my apple tv, and apple tv is fine..

So what the heck both of my blu-ray player are having issues to work with this redmere 40ft cable ?... Both blu-ray work fine with a normal 6ft cable..

I've also tried to hook the 40ft hdmi redmere to a monoprice HDMI switch and then blu-ray to the switch and this wont work either..

i'm confused.. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Try setting the BD player(s) to 1080i and see if that works!

Keep in mind your ‘active’ cables are stealing/harvesting/scavenging (take your pick) power off of the HDMI signal bus – the BD players may be at the lower end of the required voltages HDMI Sources ought to be outputting and the by the time the signal arrives at the RedMere chip in the Sink (Display or AVR) end of the cable it’s gone too low to power the RedMere circuit!

Ensure you are powering all connected devices off at the wall when making your connectivity changes.

Have you tried BD > 12m ‘active’ HDMI > TV?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Jo,

Unfortunately my cables are already in walls so impossible for me to test blu-ray to TV directly.

I bought redmere cable thinking that i was safe..

But I still don't get why everything works fine (xbox, apple tv, hd cable box) but the two blu-ray player I have doesn't work?

I'm about to go buy a bd player sony 590 in an hour. I'll post result once i get back home.. Might also buy anothet backup blu-ray player in case..

Oh and I just tested my current blu-ray and at 1080i i'm ok... My cable box also runs at 1080i..

I'm not sure about my xbox?

So did I spend all that money on redmere hdmi for them not to support the full 1080p?

Any help would be appreciated!!
post #4 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Also,

If I leave 1080p on and turn deep color off, hdmi will work fine..
post #5 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok third update...

Looks like it's my TV...

I swap my tv with another one for fun and the other tv does not get any flickering ?!?

Both tv's are 1080p

I'm totally confused here..
post #6 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Liked: 87
Do both TVs support deep color and is deep color enabled on both? That option can greatly increase the amount of bandwidth required and make one TV work while the other doesn't. Make sure you disable deep color on both the source and both TVs.

You are correct in that Redmere is a High Speed cable and therefore should work in your setup without disabling Deep Color.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

The TV who gets some flickering is a Samsung LNT4669F

The TV who is working 100% with the redmere cable is a Toshiba 40e220u

Tried to look online and tv menu and I don't see anything related to deep color.. (On the blu-ray I do have the option to turn on or off deep color)

I'm almost tempted to go buy another TV... but i'm wondering if the TV is really the problem or the bandwidth of the HDMI cables...
post #8 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

And...

On my second blu-ray player, there is no deep color option... and when on 1080p it still flicker on my main tv.. but not on my Toshiba...

I'm trying to determine if it's my TV causing the issue or the cables.. I don't want to go buy another TV if it's something else causing the issue..

I was going to go buy another blu-ray this morning, but after testing with another TV, i'm not sure it would solve my problem anymore..

Thanks for the help guys! really appreciated.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM

I seem to be having the same issue. The video will flicker in and out and I will get snow on the screen in between flickering. I have an Onkyo TX-NR509 connected to my Sony TV via a Redmere Ultra Slim 30 foot cable from Monoprice. If I connect the cable directly to my Apple TV or my DVR Computer, it works fine. If I connect the Onkyo to my TV using a normal 6' HDMI cable, it works fine, but using the Redmere HDMI cable seems to make it not work. It works fine sometimes, but others it will be flakey. Is there some box that I can put between the Onkyo and Redmere cable that has HDMI in and HDMI out that could solve this issue? It might be a handshaking or power issue. I'm not quite sure.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM

I've had good luck using a the little mini 1x2 HDMI splitter from Monoprice to solve handshaking issues between my Roku and my Onkyo receiver. I just use it as an in-out go between and it fixed my handshake issues.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM

I have found that Onkyo receivers/amps seem to have the most amount of complaints about things that turn out to be firmware issues. It's just my own observation.

I should have said originally to make sure all devices have the most recent firmware, particularly the Onkyo.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I tried to plug the blu-ray player directly to the TV with the 40ft redmere hdmi and same issue..

So my conclusions are that the TV is having some kind of issue with handshaking. Perhaps not enough power from the HDMI ports..

Anyway, it gave me a good excuse to move this TV to my basement and purchase a new TV for my living room.

Bought a Sony KDL50EX645 for 850$ CND

I'm pretty happy so far.. Works like a charm, good PQ..

Thanks again!
post #13 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM

Makes sense. Congrats on the new purchase!
post #14 of 19 Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM

I got a Rocketfish HDMI splitter. It is a powered splitter, so it shouldn't have power issues. It helps most of the time, but I still have the occasional problem of snow and video flickering. I turned off deep color on the receiver and still the same issue. I don't really want to go out and buy a new TV. Any other suggestions?
post #15 of 19 Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Without knowing the model of TV, I can't be more specific. But, first make sure all of your firmware is up-to-date. Check the manufacturer's website or help lines for that. Equipment that is hooked up to the Internet will usually have a new firmware check function within the menu system.

Does the flickering occur without the switcher?
post #16 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM

I have an Onyo TX-NR509. I ran the firmware update when I first turned it on, so it should be the newest.

The TV I have is a Sony KDL-52V5100

This only happens with the 30 foot redmere cable from the receiver to the TV. If I use a 6 foot normal hdmi it works fine. If I use the 30 foot redmere cable with my HTPC or AppleTV it works fine.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Silly question but are you sure you have the connectors on the correct side of the cable? Redmere is a directional cable.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM

Yes. They only work one way. This problem is intermittent. I just hooked up a Harmon Kardon AVR 1700 to my TV and I get the same problem when my HTPC switches to 1080p from a different resolution. Otherwise it seems to work ok. Really odd.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM

It is normal to have re-handshaking anytime resolutions are changed. That is why many people have their receiver change the resolution to 1080p, so there isn't a constant change going to the TV/projector when watching cable or satellite.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page