Output from HDMI out only present at the initial boot screen of a DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I have asked this in the specific forum, but with no solution, or even guesses. I did a search and came across at least three others that had the same scenario over the years. I stopped there since it was apparent it isn't just my unit.
The specific device involved ("TiVo HD" DVR) has had some issues with the HDMI out. What makes it unusual is during the boot process from a power off state, the initial splash screen (welcome) is visible, but everything else is not. The component & composite outs are good.

I tried this on two TV's; one HDTV, and the other a PC monitor w/HDMI in,
I tried two different HDMI cables, both only 6 footers,
I wiggled the connector in case that was it as it has been reported with some others,
I cleaned the connector with tuner cleaner (no lube) even though it looked clean (both sides) under a magnifying lamp,
I even tried different output resolutions available on the DVR.

Mind you, video is visible initially for 90 seconds with the welcome screen. Solid video. To me, that eliminates a bad cable, a bad connector and/or a dead HDMI chip(s). I'm told the initial screen is at 480i. I did set the DVR to 480i out, abut no difference.
What also is strange, the 2nd screen is also at 480i, but that doesn't show.

My first thought is a handshake issue, but with two sets? And if so, why just the initial video is visable? My other thought is some defect in the system that somehow allows video at first, but none afterwards.

My question is; the dreaded copy protection, can that be some issue here? Though that really doesn't make any sense since the 2nd screen (still booting) doesn't show.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Video on start-up then no video certainly sounds like an HDCP problem – HDCP will be switched On at some point in the communication between the Sink (Display) and the Source and if the Sink fails to get authentication from the Source it will shut the video down!

Ensure all devices are loaded with the most up-to-date Firmware.

Try a reboot – power everything Off at the wall, check your cables then re-power.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've pretty much done that. The one TV is 5+ years old, the PC monitor is new yast year. I have no control over the DVR's firmware. I assume it is the most recent.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Which Tivo model? DirecTV or cable?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

TiVo HD (652).

post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM

Went looking for some help. It seems your's is not an isolated problem:

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10449473

Others have temporarily "fixed" the problem by putting a slight upwards force on the HDMI connector on the TiVo side of things. Unfortunately, over time that will only make the connector worse until even the upward force stops working.

I suspect that the initial handshake is working and then the full handshake (probably for the higher resolution) doesn't get through. Or, there is no HDCP check for the initial screen and then HDCP fails due to bit errors once the full handshake occurs. Since the connector gets worse with time, a working TiVo suddenly stops working.

I'm also assuming you have not baked your TiVo drive with instantcake. (If that makes no sense then you haven't used it)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It seems your's is not an isolated problem
Which is what I already posted.
Quote:
the initial handshake is working and then the full handshake (probably for the higher resolution) doesn't get through.
The 2nd boot screen is at the same resolution as the first. Why would resolution make any difference as long as the sink can accept it?
Quote:
there is no HDCP check for the initial screen and then HDCP fails due to bit errors once the full handshake occurs.
That seems to make the most sense. This is what I don't know, just how & when all of this happens. It's the only thing that makes sense.
Quote:
I'm also assuming you have not baked your TiVo drive with instantcake.
No I haven't, though I have seen the term and have a guess what it is/does.

BTW; the connector is fine under a magnifying lamp.

post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Did you look inside the TiVo to see if the connector was fine within the box and it's attachment to the circuit board? It would not hurt to do a small wiggle test upwards.

The resolution makes a difference in that the bandwidth increases which means faster bits which means more chances for bit errors. Just because the sink can accept it doesn't mean the signal is getting through. Same with HDCP, just because non-HDCP signal gets through doesn't mean the HDCP handshake is getting through.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Did you look inside the TiVo to see if the connector was fine within the box and it's attachment to the circuit board? It would not hurt to do a small wiggle test upwards.
Yes. No cold solder joints under the same magnifying lamp.
Quote:
Same with HDCP, just because non-HDCP signal gets through doesn't mean the HDCP handshake is getting through.
Understood.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page