Wireless HDMI or WHDI: Device Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
raminolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada, Montreal
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I am looking for a sort of wireless HDMI devices or WHDI that really works and is not too expensive. Ideally it transmits 1080P signal (and hopefully 3D) without delay or stuttering. I am not a gamer so time latency is not an issue. It can connect a computer, a blu-ray player or a laptop to my receiver or, the receiver to the projector. All devices with be in the same room and maximum about 8meters (25feet) away but most likely way less than that.

I would therefore prefer a hardware solution so I guess that means it should have a transmitter and a receiver.

Any recommendation?

Thanks.

raminolta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
raminolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada, Montreal
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I forgot to mention: it needs to wireless transfer both video and audio. Moreover, I am looking for something that does not degrade the image quality. I don't know if these devices compress the data before transferring?

raminolta is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by raminolta View Post

I forgot to mention: it needs to wireless transfer both video and audio. Moreover, I am looking for something that does not degrade the image quality. I don't know if these devices compress the data before transferring?

I had bought Rocket fish unit for $40 refurb from cow boom. It lasted only about 6 months.
It was for the second projector.
When it worked it was perfect. I have not tested audio or 3d with it, just 1080p. But I remember it mentioned it supports both.
aaranddeeman is online now  
post #4 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Good thread on the subject here (and still up-to-date):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398632/wireless-hdmi-101-rookie
alk3997 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
'WHDI that really works and is not too expensive' - still a bit of a holy grail, some folk manage OK but most end up disappointed.

Wired is still best - otherwise be prepared for lots of frustration.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Joe Fernand is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
raminolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada, Montreal
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I checked on Amazon and it looks like the IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT and Nyrius ARIES NAVS500 have got better user feedback than the Actiontec My Wireless TV. Majority of people have written the formers do indeed work. I will try to find tech reviews on these devices.

raminolta is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by raminolta View Post

I checked on Amazon and it looks like the IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT and Nyrius ARIES NAVS500 have got better positive feedback than the Actiontec My Wireless TV. Majority of people have told the formers do indeed work.I will try to find tech reviews on these devices.

There is one thing that "concerns" me about the IOGEAR unit. Amazon claims it is uncompressed audio and video, which is good. However, the maximum audio is listed as 5.1-channels. Blu-Ray can handle 7.1-channels (actually the spec allows more channels but no one has a player that can do that yet). So what happens to the missing 2 channels and if it can transmit uncompressed audio, why the limitation? It seems that this is not a full bandwidth transmission and it only works if your audio/video is within the transmitter's specs (which is a subset of HDMI). Of course, I'm speculating on that last part but I can't find detailed enough specs to know more about the unit.

http://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/
alk3997 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Newbie
 
AntonP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same problem.
Want to place PC (gaming one) in other than TV room.
There is about 5 meters between them + wall.
What is the best solution? Price almost doesnt matter.

As i know WirelessHD dont like walls and WHDI havent enough speed for uncompressed video and audio...
Need help smile.gif
AntonP is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 AM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The best solution is a 5 meter High Speed HDMI cable. Drill through the wall and put passthru wall plates on either side, so you can use just one cable. It will give you the best speed and reliability.

Since price almost doesn't matter, you can likely find a good sheetrocker (drywaller) who can patch the wall up without problems.

No wireless solution will give you the speed and reliability that the wired solution does for HDMI. Also remember that there is no standard for wireless HDMI (or whatever someone calls it). So each solution you find is likely to be using different specs (although the tranmission types may be the same).
alk3997 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Newbie
 
AntonP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i know that cable is best solution, but not in my case (
will wait for new products ))
AntonP is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Newbie
 
JakeBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if you're still searching for a solution, but I have some feedback for your question. There are a few different standards for wireless a/v. The top three would be the ones that use simple 802.11n in the 5Ghz band, which is the worst performance and is capped at 400-600mbps and strong interference. The second would be WHDI devices which use a proprietary flavor of wireless in the 5Ghz band, but has little to no interference and has a throughput of 3Gbps, full uncompressed 1080p, 3D, and 5.1 audio, while being within 100-150ft away non line of sight. The IOGEAR GWHDMS52 & GW3DHDKIT are best in my book, it has 5 HDMI ports, and the receivers are easily hidden behind a flat screen TV,. But the cheapest I've found either for was $199 and typically go for $299. there is also the Belkin ScreenCast Av 4 which can be found cheaper, but I have not tested that. The third choice is WiGig's WIRELESSHD standard that operates in the 60Ghz band. These devices can technically do a 25Gbit/s but you'll get around 5 which is the largest bandwidth out of all current devices. The hurdle to these 60Ghz devices, they are all line of sight at a max of 30ft. GEFEN makes a great one and VIZIO had a model that was perfect, no problems for me, I couldn't tell the difference in wired or the VIZIO for my uses, unfortunately they discontinued the model and haven't replaced it, but good news is that you can still buy one new at Amazon for about $100-$150. Hope this helps
JakeBoston is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Member
 
boiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Londonderry, New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
boiko is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 PM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBoston View Post

I'm not sure if you're still searching for a solution, but I have some feedback for your question. There are a few different standards for wireless a/v. The top three would be the ones that use simple 802.11n in the 5Ghz band, which is the worst performance and is capped at 400-600mbps and strong interference. The second would be WHDI devices which use a proprietary flavor of wireless in the 5Ghz band, but has little to no interference and has a throughput of 3Gbps, full uncompressed 1080p, 3D, and 5.1 audio, while being within 100-150ft away non line of sight. The IOGEAR GWHDMS52 & GW3DHDKIT are best in my book, it has 5 HDMI ports, and the receivers are easily hidden behind a flat screen TV,. But the cheapest I've found either for was $199 and typically go for $299. there is also the Belkin ScreenCast Av 4 which can be found cheaper, but I have not tested that. The third choice is WiGig's WIRELESSHD standard that operates in the 60Ghz band. These devices can technically do a 25Gbit/s but you'll get around 5 which is the largest bandwidth out of all current devices. The hurdle to these 60Ghz devices, they are all line of sight at a max of 30ft. GEFEN makes a great one and VIZIO had a model that was perfect, no problems for me, I couldn't tell the difference in wired or the VIZIO for my uses, unfortunately they discontinued the model and haven't replaced it, but good news is that you can still buy one new at Amazon for about $100-$150. Hope this helps

Hmmm...Let's see 3gbps = 1080 x 1920 x 24 bits / pixel x 60 Hz = 2.985984000 gbps. That leaves 14 mbps for audio and data. 7.1-channel LPCM is 16.1 mbps. So, that's a bit over when data is included. That's why a lot of these so-called wireless HDMI solutions only have compressed audio rather than high resolution audio.

Buyer beware - none of these solutions are equivalent to an HDMI cable quality signal. Whether a user notices that or not is really dependent upon the user.
alk3997 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
raminolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada, Montreal
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all for the responses.

raminolta is offline  
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off