Old receiver with new 3DBlue Ray & Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned a rarely used Yamaha HTR-5450 5.1 stereo receiver since 2002 and have recently bought a 2012 Samsung 46 inch 3D LED TV, 2012 Samsung 6500 3D Blue Ray and 2012 Polk RM700 surround sound speakers for a 2nd Home theater room. I can wire everything using traditional connections and optical cable.

My question is can I get good quality surround sound with this older Receiver or should I go ahead and buy a new receiver with HDMI inputs to make this a true 3D surround experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
You'll get some but not all of the available sound formats that way, but you'll still get surround sound (see this http://www.avsforum.com/t/1379451/toslink-vs-hdmi) Depends how much you want to spend, but I'd worry about going up the ladder speaker-wise first. Did you get a sub with those Polks?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormon View Post

I have owned a rarely used Yamaha HTR-5450 5.1 stereo receiver since 2002 and have recently bought a 2012 Samsung 46 inch 3D LED TV, 2012 Samsung 6500 3D Blue Ray and 2012 Polk RM700 surround sound speakers for a 2nd Home theater room. I can wire everything using traditional connections and optical cable.

My question is can I get good quality surround sound with this older Receiver or should I go ahead and buy a new receiver with HDMI inputs to make this a true 3D surround experience?

One thing Yamaha's of that era were very good at was including 5.1-channel external inputs with their receivers. Your Yamaha has the 5.1-channel input.

I'm not sure if the Samsung you purchased has a 5.1-channel analog output but that type of output is your best way to get *all* of the Blu-Ray audio formats into the Yamaha. You'll have 5.1-channel audio instead of 7.1-channel audio and your bass management won't be as good as a modern receiver but you'll have lossless audio and should sound better than S/PDIF optical or coax audio.

If the Samsung Blu-Ray does not have 7.1/5.1 channel analog outputs then you might consider returning that one and getting one that does. It's one way to keep that old receiver going.

BTW, I second the idea of upgrading your speakers first. No matter how good the receiver, the speakers would still be the deciding factor on how good everything sounds.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormon View Post

One thing Yamaha's of that era were very good at was including 5.1-channel external inputs with their receivers. Your Yamaha has the 5.1-channel input.

I'm not sure if the Samsung you purchased has a 5.1-channel analog output but that type of output is your best way to get *all* of the Blu-Ray audio formats into the Yamaha. You'll have 5.1-channel audio instead of 7.1-channel audio and your bass management won't be as good as a modern receiver but you'll have lossless audio and should sound better than S/PDIF optical or coax audio.

If the Samsung Blu-Ray does not have 7.1/5.1 channel analog outputs then you might consider returning that one and getting one that does. It's one way to keep that old receiver going.

BTW, I second the idea of upgrading your speakers first. No matter how good the receiver, the speakers would still be the deciding factor on how good everything sounds.

From the backpanel images I saw for the BDE6500 there's no analog outputs except for 2 ch/composite video.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Liked: 88
Can the OP return the BDE-6500?
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page