Found a HDMI Redmere 10' cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Our IT Department was throwing out a bunch of boxes today. Sticking out from underneath a flattened box was an HDMI cable still in its bag. The bag was labeled Monoprice with a PID of 9890. I looked it up and it is a 10' High Speed HDMI Redmere cable. I haven't bought HDMI cables in a long time so I've not kept up with the newer technologies. Man is this cable thin! I'm already liking it. Didn't realize that the cables were uni-directional which brings up my question. The sink end is labeled TV and the other end is labeled Source. That's clear enough. However, I don't imagine there would be any issues using this cable from my blu-ray player (source) to the receiver (sink) would there? Same for any other HDMI device connected to my receiver? I really need to get out more and keep up with technology. I don't see any where in the product description that the cable is certified or did I miss that? The bag is labeled RoHS Compliance but that's not the same thing? I guess this was a good find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There should be no issues whatsoever. I think the TV label is generic and assumes you need the Redmere cable for a long run from a source to a display device. The question for you is, what's the distance from your blu-ray player to the receiver? If things are working now, the Remere won't fix or improve anything.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All of my HDMI runs are 10' or less. I don't expect the Redmere cable to improve anything (I'm using certified High Speed cables from MediaBridge now) but we will be moving things out for awhile when we remodel and I really like the thin, flexible Redmere cables. Being as I already have one cable now wink.gif remodeling might be a good time to upgrade the cables for more flexibiilty should we need it.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Should not be a problem. Never look a free Redmere in the mouth (or something like that).
post #5 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

biggrin.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think if you look at some of the redmere discussions recently, you will find a "point" that redmere "borrows" powering from both end of the cable. That may / shouldn't be a problem but may be as your receiver might not be expecting any added "loading" (if any... not sure how the "borrowing is done)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ yeah I've heard that as well. I'm hoping that if I do decide to go to Redmere once the remodeling is done, that won't be an issue because the max cable run will be 10' or under so if any power "borrowing" is done, it will be negligible due to cable length.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I’d be ensuring the cable is easily recoverable/replaceable – ‘active’ electronics either side of an AVR can be a handshaking nightmare!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

I’d be ensuring the cable is easily recoverable/replaceable – ‘active’ electronics either side of an AVR can be a handshaking nightmare!

Joe

Understood. The tv sits on a media console with the HTS system components underneath it, and all cables are behind the console (neatly tucked away).
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page