Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by akindy View Post

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I've been ignoring this forum just like I've had to ignore the issue. I've tried reseting and reconnecting every setting and HDMI connection. It seems to be some mis-handling from the Denon. If I power on my AppleTV and the Denon I see the front panel 'Input Signal Indicators' of the receiver illuminate, indicating that they have synced. Once I turn on the TV those two symbols instantly go away and may or may not come back. 60% of the time they do and it syncs up without issue, the other 40% of the time it has the HDMI handshake issue that I posted as a video.

I'm going to read through everyone's post to see if someone has a solution, but I'm fairly set on throwing this thing out the window, leaving a negative review on Amazon, and switching to anything else.

I wouldn't throw it out the window. I'd call Denon support and demand a solution. That is unusable as is and they should know that. If you do see signs of mishandling, then they should know that as well.

The Denon customer service is actually one of the better ones, in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 11
I have had the same issue of intermittent white flashing on the video output from my Denon AVR-3311C1 Receiver.

I am driving a 1080p projector with multiple HDMI input sources; Oppo Blu-Ray player, Mac laptops, Apple TV, Shaw PVR. All devices share the same issue of the video image flashing and and flickering intermittently when the signal is routed through the Denon amp. If i connect the HDMI cable to the projector directly to the source, there is a rock solid image with no flicker. My attempts to turn on the devices in a specific order Receiver>Projector>Source does seem to reduce the flicker frequency but not entirely eliminate it.

I sent the Denon unit back for service & it was returned with a whole new video section & a statement that they found a number of defects in the video board; but, this only improved it a bit at first and then we were back to the same old thing.

Today, I was thinking of heading back to my AV dealer for a new, different brand receiver when I thought I should make sure that I still have a clean video signal when connected directly from source to projector. I noticed on the Receiver that the HDMI output had 2 separate HDMI ports out. Since I wasn't sure how to switch to the HDMI 2 output I consulted the manual. In there it states that the HDMI 1 output has something called "HDMI Control" which allows the Receiver to issue commands via HDMI back to the source. The HDMI output does not support this feature. Hmmm, says I, 'Let's try the HDMI 2 output instead'.

Sure enough, using the HDMI 2 output totally eliminated the flicker. The video image is now rock solid and flicker free. I'm very pleased. After spending many hours trying to solve this, I now believe that the problem is fixed. Interestingly, the video signal passes through even when the Amp is off, which is not the case in HDMI 1 output mode. It may be that the HDMI control feature is responsible for corrupting the signal on HDMI 1 out and the more simple HDMI 2 channel is free of this.

So if you have 2 output channels & have the terrible Denon flickers...try HDMI 2.

;-D

-evan
tacotime likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 88
...or just disable HDMI CEC (the control that you spoke about). Disabling CEC is available in the menu of the 3311CI.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 PM

I just found this thread, which is likely the same issue I had about a year ago - posted here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1441775/avr-1913-video-trouble-with-samsung-ln46b750-series-tv-and-sony-ps3

I did one replacement, but still have issues with a random dropping of my video, usually only for about 4 seconds.
The flickering has only happened once in the past few weeks, but is far less frequent with my second Denon 1913.

TV - Samsung LN46B750
Denon 1913 (about 1 year old)
Shaw Direct PVR
High Speed HDMI cables (nothing longer than 6 feet)
TV and Denon FW is the latest

Denon AVR 1913
Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 PM

I took it in to an authorized repair center and they replaced the HDMI board. Hopefully that fixes it.

Denon AVR 1913
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dq72 View Post

I took it in to an authorized repair center and they replaced the HDMI board. Hopefully that fixes it.

The repair center replaced the HDMI board and my receiver has not missed a bit since.
kyler13 likes this.

Denon AVR 1913
Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Liked: 10
I had the same problem with my AVR-3311C1, I noticed though it was only on images at 1080 that was causing issues.

My xbox one , and ps4 both were flickering like crazy... I switched to 720p and it worked without issues.

I tried eheffa's solution and that seemed to fix it for me. Save me a few dollars as well, as I was going to run a hdmi extender and cat6 instead because I though it was my hdmi.

No idea why hdmi out 1 is giving me troubles... but port 2 is working just fine now. Thanks as its been driving me crazy for some time
Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 PM

Liked: 10
Just a update, I brought this in to the local denon repair shop and they fixed it for free, the unit was out of warranty as well.

Apparently Denon has a service bulletin for this DZ10-171 which apparently is a factory defect.

Tags
Denon Avr 1913 Receiver