Denon AVR 1913 output flickering. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start off by saying this is my second receiver in as many days. I'm used to good old digital coax/optical but I needed a new receiver so I thought the ease of setting this receiver with HDMI. I go through the whole install and everything works fine: cable box to receiver, Samsung Bluray to receiver, HDMI from receiver to Samsung 60" led. All connected with basic (budget friendly) 12 ft. HDMI cables. Everything worked perfectly until I powered down the T.V. Now when I powered T.V. back on display flickers between snow and picture and broken sound. Bluray now says mode not supported. Please Help. I have to connect HDMI direct from source to TV to get issue resolved......Please Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Ensure all of your kit is running the latest Firmware options.

What is your power down routine? Are you going In/Out of Standby or physically powering Off at a wall socket?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 68 Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by malueg2 View Post

Let me start off by saying this is my second receiver in as many days. I'm used to good old digital coax/optical but I needed a new receiver so I thought the ease of setting this receiver with HDMI. I go through the whole install and everything works fine: cable box to receiver, Samsung Bluray to receiver, HDMI from receiver to Samsung 60" led. All connected with basic (budget friendly) 12 ft. HDMI cables. Everything worked perfectly until I powered down the T.V. Now when I powered T.V. back on display flickers between snow and picture and broken sound. Bluray now says mode not supported. Please Help. I have to connect HDMI direct from source to TV to get issue resolved......Please Help

As Joe said, make sure all of your firmware is up-to-date. That is easy with the Denon which will get its update over the network as will the samsung Blu-Ray. The TV, you'll need to check with its owners manual.

You mentioned "budget friendly" HDMI cables. Were they High Speed HDMI cables? It should say that they are on the cable or in the packaging.

What it appears to me is that one of your devices (the Samsung BD player most likely) picked-up enough errors that it is now "confused". The first step is to eliminate the errors, which is why I ask about the type of cable. The second step is to reset the Samsung. First, unplug the Samsung from the AC wall plug. If that doesn't work you may need to reset to factory settings and that will be in the Sammy's setup menu.

If that still doesn't work, try the TV - same two steps. Finally, if nothing works then try the Blu-Ray player direct to the TV. Although in this case I don't think it is the Denon's problem but can't rule that out. Also make sure HDMI CEC is off for all devices until this problem is resolved.

Also if you still have questions, please provide model numbers with your questions. Knowing that it was an AVR-1913 was a great help. At least then I can look at what options there are for correcting the errors.
post #4 of 68 Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just power down by the power button on the remote. The HDMI cable were new a few years ago so I don't know if they are high speed. The support thinks it might be the length of cables
post #5 of 68 Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So all devices are put In/Out of Standby using the individual Remotes (or do you have a programmable remote?) and the kit is always left in Standby - not powered Off at the wall?

There is a fairly complex handshake routine (Initiated by the TV) which has to take place every time you take it In/Out of Standby or make a change on its HDMI Input (in your case making a change on the Denon AVR has to be ‘relayed’ to the TV) if any one of the devices fails at any step of the communication change you end up with the symptoms you describe.

It could be an issue with the ‘long’ HDMI cable – if you have your AVR set to ‘up-convert’ your video sources try resetting it to Bypass mode and set your Sources to 1080i rather than 1080p, which should be less of a payload for the cable to deal with.

Once you reset the Sources and AVR I would power everything Off at the Wall socket(s), leave it for 20 secs then repower.

Now go through a few AVR Input swaps and if that is stable try taking the kit In/Out of Standby and see if you still have the problem – if you do I’d look at temporarily moving the AVR close to the TV and use a short High Speed cable and repeat the above test, if you still have the problem it’s something more complex than the cable causing the problem.

Joe

post #6 of 68 Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 AM

I missed the part earlier when you said connecting direct to the TV resolved the problem. That forces the units to handshake again.

Whose support said that it could be the cable length at 12 feet? Please try to be more specific when we're trying to help you figure this out and which model numbers. The details are important.
akindy likes this.
post #7 of 68 Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

The denon support said the length may be the issue. I'llbe working a couple days so I will try all suggestions when I get back.
post #8 of 68 Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Liked: 11
Hello malueg2
Is your problem resolved? I am having the same issue of the flickering. Bluray (toshiba) does not work when i connect to receiver. My connections are: I connected all the devices to Denon and from Denon i connected 2 cables (HDMI ARC and Digital Optical cable). I get flickering. What is the Denon support that you called for help? How is the technical help? Thank you Venky
akindy likes this.
post #9 of 68 Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM

Liked: 11
How to check firmware for updates?
post #10 of 68 Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 AM

For the 1913, the AVR need to be hooked up to the Internet. Then go into the menu and select system setup. Firmware update is an option. For the detailed instructions check your owners manual that came as a CD-ROM with your receiver (or is available online).
akindy likes this.
post #11 of 68 Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM

I too am experiencing this issue. I'm going to go through and power everything off as suggested, and reconnect it all to see if the issue goes away. Also considering buying shorter HDMI cables.

Here's a video of the issue for those that are interested.
post #12 of 68 Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akindy View Post

I too am experiencing this issue. I'm going to go through and power everything off as suggested, and reconnect it all to see if the issue goes away. Also considering buying shorter HDMI cables.

Here's a video of the issue for those that are interested.

First, let me say thank you for the video! That really helped my understanding of what you were seeing.

To me it looks like the video and audio are just coming in and then the handshaking starts over again. There are a number of reasons I can think of that would cause that. It could be that the handshaking is timing out or it could be simply bad software causing a processor reset.

Are you also using a Denon AVR-1913?
post #13 of 68 Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM

I've had a similar issue with my Denon AVR 1913. Connections include (all to the AVR): Dish Network DVR (722), Vizio Blu Ray (unsure model#) and Apple TV (3rd Gen)...TV is Mitsubishi DLP WD-62625.

Issues:
- When switching inputs, periodically the screen goes blank. Audio is still there, no video. The only fix I've found is recycling (turning off/on) the AVR multiple times.
- Sometimes (less frequently), when I switch inputs I'll get 'flickering' similar to what ALK 3397 posted but still no video.

Diagnostics/Troubleshooting:
- I have the latest firmware installed (updated when I purchased the unit only three weeks ago)
- I'm running a 3 ft, high speed HDMI cable (not budget friendly)
- I've switched HDMI ports on the TV

Here's where it gets interesting. I called the retailer where I purchased the unit (great people BTW) Sunday, they indicated:
- Other Denon 1913 owners have reported similar issues recently
- The retailer was told last week (not sure if it was Denon or other service provider) this is a known issue. They understand there is an "extra chip" (did not get specifics) that is causing handshake issues. They believe the first HDMI ports (1-2) are affected by this chip but higher ports are not.
- Resolution is TBD but they think if you assign the most used devises the highest ports (6 for DVR, etc) and avoid lower ports, you may avoid the issue. I have not yet tested but I will report my finding when I do.

I recommend others who experience this issue try switching ports as well as asking Denon and/or other service providers. I am NOT declaring that we have a defective product, just passing the feedback I've received about the issues I am experiencing.

I WILL FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATIONS LISTED ABOVE AND REPORT MY FINDINGS....PLEASE DO THE SAME.
post #14 of 68 Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Now that we've had three people report this, I think the next thing to do is to make sure that everyone who sees this problem calls Denon. Their number is: 201-762-6665 and they are only available Monday through Friday. Letting Denon know is really the only way to fix the problem if it is in the design (hardware or firmware).

You might want to let them know that you know of other people who are having the same problem and the more your descriptions of the problem match, the more likely someone is to notice that in their database. I'd think something like "B5280high" posted would be a good place to start,
Quote:
When switching inputs, periodically the screen goes blank. Audio is still there, no video. The only fix I've found is recycling (turning off/on) the AVR multiple times

Good luck and I hope it is "just" a firmware problem with the AVR-1913.
post #15 of 68 Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Update:
- I changed inputs....DVR changed to Media Player (#6 I believe) and my Apple TV to Game (#5), following the logic of using the higher ports first....problem still exists ;(

I will call Denon support next week and I'll email their support (if anyone has an email addy for Denon support, pls forward).

I will update the forum, please do the same as well.
post #16 of 68 Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Samsung BD players were notorious for bringing down HDMI systems so be wary here. Remove the BD player physically from the system, unplug its HDMI cable from the AVR.

Also, turn off auto resolution in all devices. Try setting to 1080p first if that is what your display can handle. If the issue is still there then try lowering the resolution in all devices.
post #17 of 68 Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Hey all, I also have experienced the very same issue with a Sony Blu-Ray and the AVR-1913 and Samsung TV (55" smart). Put in a call to tech support using the number listed above and they said that it was definitely a hand shaking issue. They also stated that in order to fix and further prevent this issue, it is necessary to bring the home theater up in order of: TV - AVR1913 - Blu-ray player. This is to allow the TV to fully come up and initiate the hand shake. After the TV is fully up and running, then bring the Denon up and finally the blu-ray. Unfortunately, for those here that are experiencing the issue already (everyone here is or they wouldn't be on here), the folks at Denon told me that you need to do a "hard HDMI reset" which is to fully disconnect the HDMI cables from both the AVR unit and the devices (TV, Blu-ray etc). Then wait a minimum of 30 minutes, reconnect and bring up in the order that was stated previously. I'm in the middle of this step right now so more to follow if it was successful. Thanks to all of the advice above to help me troubleshoot this pesky problem. Hopefully this will help others.
post #18 of 68 Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM

I have the same issue. DirecTV Sat box, Denon 1613, Mitsubishi DLP WD-52628 and Samsung E-6500 blu ray.

I bought and hooked up the Denon and the Samsung at the same time. Everything was fine for approximately 1 month, then one day while watching TV, got the blank screen. I do not recall if i was watching the blu-ray or HBO.

No flickering, like postged above, just blank screen when using the Samsung blu ray player or trying to view HBO channels. Swapped cables etc etc. I also took the Samsung upstairs to the TV in my bedroom, 28" Vizio, and the blu ray displayed and worked fine.

After more trouble shooting I brought the Vizio to my family room and connected the HDMI out from Denon to the Vizio. Everything works fine, HBO and blu ray, which tells me the handshake issue is with the TV. I have tried powering up and down all different ways, all firmware is up to date etc.

Any ideas for correcting the issue when trying to use the Mitsubishi? Would an HDMI splitter, one line in and one line out, between the Denon and the Mitsubishi change anything in the handshake?

I have been jacking with this for too long now. Any input is much appreciated.

Why don't we launch a satellite into space so people can watch TV? Brilliant!

Mits DLP WD-52628
Denon 1613 AVR
Samsung E-6500 Blu Ray

post #19 of 68 Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM

There is one thing that is inconsistent with a handshaking issue. If you haven't changed anything then handshaking issues won't just appear. It's when you add new components or change firmware that a handshaking issue can appear.

Think back and see if you made any changes before the TV just went blank. If not, then I'd start to wonder if a cable got damaged or if a setting got changed accidentally. Or, if a processor isn't hung and the TV or receiver need a restore to factory settings.

Also note that the above is specific to the AVR-1913. Right now, unfortunately, I don't believe you have the same problem as the other folks.
post #20 of 68 Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

We had a customer last week who was struggling with installing a Lumagen Video Processor + Darbee Darblet (Image Enhancer) between a Marantz AVR and his JVC projector.

I had the customer send us the EDID from his JVC which we uploaded to one of our Octava HD11-ARC (audio processor/EDID manager) units which is now installed between the Marantz AVR and the Lumagen so the Marantz thinks it’s connected direct to the JVC, might be worth trying out the same trick!

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-Converter-EDID-Manager.html

Joe

post #21 of 68 Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Well, I guess this issue claims another victim. I finally got around to scuttling the old Sony workhorse (no HDMI, Airplay, USB, etc.) a week ago for the AVR-1913. It was working great for a week or so, I was digging all the features as you might imagine, until yesterday.

The sequence: I had been watching some shows DVR’ed from the night before and all was fine. Switched off the TV to go out, left the AVR on FM on, then came back and changed the AVR to Airplay to listen to some podcasts. Well, I can’t remember if I selected CABLE on the AVR before turning on the TV or not. But when I did turn the TV back on that’s when the problems started. It would come on for a second then go right to a green screen. I thought it was the cable service but it wasn’t. Blu-ray wouldn’t work anymore. Apple TV wouldn’t work either. I think I tried every different combination among my various HDMI cables trying to fix it but to no avail.

Anyway, I called Crutchfield for help. They walked me through a system reset which solved the issue. They don’t know why this happens but apparently it happens often enough that they know what to do. In my case, I can only think that I need to turn on the TV before I select the CAB on the AVR. At least I hope that’s the “fix” such as it is.
post #22 of 68 Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Hope you called Denon. Otherwise they won't know how many people this affects.

The more who call (with serial numbers, of course), the higher on the priority list it gets.
post #23 of 68 Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 AM

Try turning on denon avr 1913 on first but when turning off have it set so that it is ready to play a dvd then turn denon on first then turn on blue ray player wait 30 secs. and then turn on your tv and sat tv. the mode not supported should go away and you will be able to turn to hbo station too. you can switch back and forth between sat. and dvd and it should still work. i always have to do this when I want to watch a dvd or go to internet through my blu ray player let me know if this helps anyone. Geek squad dude told me this.
post #24 of 68 Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Hopefully you've called Denon to let them know as well. This looks to be a fixable firmware issue but only Denon can reprogram the firmware to fix it.
post #25 of 68 Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Talked to them yest. They really havent heard about this problem,seems strange that they havent. More people need to be the sqeeky wheels!!!!
post #26 of 68 Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM

It keeps happening to me and I'm at wits end. Crutchfield tells me that Denon knows about the issue. They gave me a number to call Denon. I will do so tomorrow. I'll post what they say but I'm midway through my 60 day window and will probably swap it out for a different brand. It's ridiculous but I'm not going through this every time I want to watch something.
post #27 of 68 Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM

It's a firmware problem so the only way to fix it is with new firmware. The more people who make sure Denon knows about it, the higher the priority is for fixing the problem.

Until then, there really is nothing you can do except try a different model (or brand).
post #28 of 68 Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Guys, I have been dealing with this nonsense since Christmas and everyone at Denon is oblivious to the "fix". The only thing that works is the TV (Sharp) > Denon AVR-1913 > Playstation/Apple TV. But there are still issues with Pandora and Spotify flickering too. Its sad that I upgraded to the AVR-1913 for dual zone support but the lower model had no issues. I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this, but when I see stupid crap like: Too Long of Cables or Wrong Output settings, it makes me crazy. I have wasted too many hours on this problem and really need to see a final fix - for my use, this product is basically defective.
post #29 of 68 Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Yes, I think we all agree it's a firmware issue. No one here is saying too long of cables or wrong output settings.

I can also add that the AVR-2313 doesn't seem to have the issue either.
post #30 of 68 Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Not sure what happened to my post from yesterday but I did call Denon. From talking to the rep and the routine he walked me through, they definitely know this is an issue. But they aren't going to admit it. That's my take anyway. So I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix. I don't even know if I could do a firmware update anyway as I don't have an ethernet connection.

But I do have it working ok now I'm trying the shorter cable thing. Fingers crossed but I never know when the Windows 95-like blue screen comes around.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Denon Avr 1913 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page