Issues with XBOX/HTPC with CAT5->HDMI run - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Four years ago I moved into a new place and decided that if I'm going to mount a TV on the wall, I didn't want to see annoying cables, so I dedicated an area in the basement to house all my A/V equipment. So, I hired an electrician to install an outlet where I wanted the TV and we discussed running some A/V to the basement area. He recommended doing a CAT5 run converting to HDMI with a power amplifier. The run was probably around 25-30ft. Admittedly, if I could do it all over again, I would have run straight HDMI. Here's my issue...

After the installation, I tested the cable box (SA8300HD) and PS3 and both worked flawlessly. I have since gotten a new TV where I hook up the PS3 so the mounted TV only has the cable box hooked to it. In my efforts to cut the cable, I have setup a DVR system on my HTPC and replaced the cable box. Hooked up to the converted HDMI plate and all I hear is audio, no picture. I figured no big deal since I'd probably use an extender for that TV so I borrowed a friends XBOX 360 and hooked up and found that not only was there no picture, the audio was really choppy. Recalling that the PS3 worked before, I hooked that back up and saw that the picture had a lot of lines (I didn't check audio). I put the cable box back on and crystal clear picture and audio.

I'm going to assume the run is CAT5, but there is a chance that it is CAT6 (I will have to investigate this), not sure if that would be an issue or not. I'm not even sure the manufacturer of the powered HDMI plates.

I've seen various posts were this equipment should work via the CAT5/6->HDMI and being powered I thought I would have a benefit. Don't know if I need to invest in something else. Any thoughts of what the issue might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM

Liked: 87
Cat 5 versus 5e/6 is an issue since that could be part of your problem.

In any event, is it possible that you've been running 1080i or 720p all of these years and are now trying to run 1080p? 1080p has a higher bandwidth and possibly different converter requirements than 1080i/720p.

Try your PS3 set at 1080i and see if it starts to work.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'll give that I try tonight - makes sense because I know the cable box is 1080i. With all the PS3 updates, who knows.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

That worked! After I set the output to 1080i, video/audio is perfect.

Thanks!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
Cat5 Rack 1u

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page