HDMI intermittent loud noise issue. At my wit's end. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So long story short, my PS3 is my main source of video/audio in the house. We don't use cable, and we've only got one TV out of choice.

Lately, we've been having a problem with HDMI cables. I decided to put my TV up on a ledge when we set up our master bedroom, which demanded a 25ft HDMI cable. Since I've installed the new cable, every once in a while we get this loud screeching sound, almost like a distorted scream. I thought it might be the cable, so I purchased another 25ft cable from a different manufacturer, to the same results.

The sound only happens every once in a while, especially after leaving the TV on over night for music or what have you. It's getting to the point where I barely ever play on the PS3 because of the noise.

Any idea what might be causing this and possible ways to rectify it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Liked: 87
Are either of the 25 foot cables High Speed HDMI cables?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, both of them are. Could that be the problem?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM

High Speed is actually what you want.

Does the picture have a problem or just the audio? Could you explain "loud screech" further? What type of speakers are you using and does the same thing happen if you just use headphones (no speakers active)?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

I can't test with headphones - it's a television, and it's also precariously high in a ladderless house.

The screech is just a sudden increase in volume. It's almost like whatever we're watching just gets incredibly brain destroyingly loud all of the sudden, but only for about a second. The speakers are built in to the TV, and I'm only able to replicate the problem if the PS3 is in 480p mode. This only occurs in 1080i.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Having eliminated the HDMI cable can you now eliminate the PS3 or TV - are you able to borrow another PS3 and see if you have the same problem or try your PS3 with a different TV?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolgothaAvante View Post

I can't test with headphones - it's a television, and it's also precariously high in a ladderless house.

The screech is just a sudden increase in volume. It's almost like whatever we're watching just gets incredibly brain destroyingly loud all of the sudden, but only for about a second. The speakers are built in to the TV, and I'm only able to replicate the problem if the PS3 is in 480p mode. This only occurs in 1080i.

First, remember I can only go by what you write since I can't hear what you are hearing. So, please try to be as accurate as possible.

You said a screeching sound but also said it sounds like what you are watching got very loud. When this screeching sound occurs, can you still hear the words/music or is it just electronic noise? How long does this sound last?

The reason I'm asking is that at first I thought this might have been interference. However, if the words/music are still inteligible but have just gotten very very loud, then that is a completely different problem. Interference over HDMI will not raise or lower volume levels. Digital distortion will sound like hissing or a loud ping or a few other electronic-type sounds but not greater or lower volume levels.

Also you said this only occurs if the PS3 is in 480i but then you added "This only occurs in 1080i". I don't know what you mean with the 1080i comment. Could you please explain further? Also are you gaming when this occurs or watching a movie or streaming video? Or does it happen with any type of input?

At one point I was thinking someone in the neighborhood had a CB radio that was bleeding into your speakers and that would sound like a large screech. But if what you are really saying is that the volume gets very high for a second or two, that sounds like a TV audio board issue.

As Joe said, eliminating the PS3 as a possibility would help pin down the problem further.

BTW, to test with headphones you would simply use a y-cable that had two RCA plugs on one side and one 1/8" stereo socket on the other. Radio Stack used to sell tons of these. These will even work with TVs that have analog stereo outputs in the back.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
This is likely going to go around and around til you do some "drastic" things.... beg, borrow, steal a blu ray player from someone.... use some of that money you save from having "limited programming / viewing options" and buy a cheap used unit.. whatever, then you will likely find an answer or at least rule out more things. The problem is similar to the "dts decoding" issue that some receivers had (which had a firmware fix), random loud "noise level". In this case, my money is on your current source as being the cause.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page