Will this monoprice HDMI support 1080p w/ 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm pretty sure all newer HDMI (1.4) will support 3D at 1080p...but the info on this item doesnt specifically say. I basically need 1080p w/ 3D and ARC support, and is 15ft.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024009&p_id=2529&seq=1&format=2

"This cable supports the following HDMI® features:

• 720p/1080i Resolution - The Standard HDMI® Cable has sufficient bandwidth to transfer 720p/1080i video signals between 720p/1080i rated source and sink (display) devices.
  • Audio Return Channel - Normally, your HDMI® cable carries audio information along with the video from a source device (e.g. blu-ray player) to the sink device (display/television). Often times this goes through an AV receiver to drive a home theater audio system. The Audio Return Channel is primarily used to send the audio signal generated by the television when its internal tuner is used, back to the AV receiver, so that you can use your home theater audio system when watching television signals.
  • Deep Color - The Deep Color feature provides a minimum of 8-bits per color element (24-bits total), providing for a total of over 16 million color variations. Other versions of Deep Color allow for up to 16-bits per element, for a total of 48-bits and over 281 trillion color variations, which really makes your video images come to life!
  • x.v.Color™ - x.v.Color™ is a promotion name given to the products that have the capability to realize a wide color space based on the xvYCC specifications and is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Currently, only AVCHD and PlayStation 3 devices support x.v.Color™.
  • High Definition Audio - HDMI® supports a full range of high definition audio types, including SA-CD, DVD-Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio™, and Dolby TrueHD™."

Looking to grab a 15ftp redmere cable, but its 3X the price (still $22, which isnt bad but still....)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9891&seq=1&format=2

"This cable supports the following HDMI features:
  • 1080p Resolution - This High Speed HDMI Cable has sufficient bandwidth to transfer 1080p video signals between 1080p rated source and sink (display) devices.
  • HDMI Ethernet Channel - The HDMI Ethernet Channel provides 100 Mbps, full-duplex Ethernet traffic along the HDMI cable, allowing a wired or wireless Ethernet connection on one device to be propagated to other devices. Note that for this feature to be functional, all pieces of equipment between the Ethernet source and the destination must support the HDMI Ethernet Channel feature.
  • Audio Return Channel - Normally, your HDMI cable carries audio information along with the video from a source device (e.g. blu-ray player) to the sink device (display/television). Often times this goes through an AV receiver to drive a home theater audio system. The Audio Return Channel is primarily used to send the audio signal generated by the television when its internal tuner is used, back to the AV receiver, so that you can use your home theater audio system when watching television signals.
  • 3D - 3D is the latest rage for both home theater and gaming. A High Speed HDMI Cable is capable of handling the high bandwidth requirements of 3D signals.
  • 4K - The 4K resolution is 3840 x 2160 pixels @ 24 Hz, which is four times that of a 1080p display and the same resolution used by state-of-the-art Digital Cinema systems. A High Speed HDMI Cable is capable of handling the high bandwidth required for 4K support.
  • Deep Color - The Deep Color feature provides a minimum of 8-bits per color element (24-bits total), providing for a total of over 16 million color variations. Other versions of Deep Color allow for up to 16-bits per element, for a total of 48-bits and over 281 trillion color variations, which really makes your video images come to life
  • x.v.Color™ - x.v.Color is a promotion name given to the products that have the capability to realize a wide color space based on the xvYCC specifications and is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Currently, only AVCHD and Playstation™ 3 devices support x.v.Color.
  • High Definition Audio - HDMI supports a full range of high definition audio types, including SA-CD, DVD-Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio™, and Dolby TrueHD™
."

I dont need 4K or TrueHD sound atm..but..maybe in a few years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I haven't gotten to type this in almost a month...

There are only two types of HDMI cables. They are High Speed and Standard Speed cables. Each type has a few options. These two types of cables were defined by the HDMI Org to simplify cable selection for a consumer. Both types of cables have the same pinouts.

High Speed HDMI cables are capable of handling any HDMI signal currently used or planned. Standard Speed HDMI cable are guaranteed to be able to send 1080i and 720p images. Standard Speed cables may be able to handle high bandwidth signals such as 1080p/60, 1080p/24 2D or 1080p/24 3D, but it is not guaranteed. High Speed cables have passed tests to show that they can handle 1080p/60, 4K, etc.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

The cable does not "know" what it is sending. It is a dumb cable. If only takes bits from one end of the cable to the other. The only thing you have to make sure is that the cable has enough bandwidth to send the signals you want without bit errors. Bit errors will show up as obvious screen defects such as lines, sparkles or screens that change to a solid color or even no picture at all. Bit errors do not cause loss of resolution or loss of contrast, color or anything else that is usually considered "picture quality".

So, for 1080p/24 3D you would want a High Speed HDMI cable and try to use ones that either provide the certificate online or have great user reviews, such as Monoprice or Blue Jean Cables or some of the others you'll find in this forum's archives.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Right - so basically looking for a HIGH speed label so that it has enough bandwidth to suport 1080p/24fp 3D

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024012&p_id=4160&seq=1&format=2

Which is $14, at this price point the thinner redmere cord might not be a bad choice - esp when trying to stuff them in cable raceways

Thanks much
post #4 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Actually your link didn't work. But, it doesn't matter - as long as it says High Speed then you're good to go.

Also remember that while Redmere provides a lot of capabilities, it is an active cable and therefore has components that could fail which a passive cable would not. Like most things, it's a tradeoff.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I haven't gotten to type this in almost a month...

LMAO biggrin.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
x2 biggrin.gif

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

I'm pretty sure all newer HDMI (1.4) will support 3D at 1080p...but the info on this item doesnt specifically say. I basically need 1080p w/ 3D and ARC support, and is 15ft.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024009&p_id=2529&seq=1&format=2

"This cable supports the following HDMI® features:

• 720p/1080i Resolution - The Standard HDMI® Cable has sufficient bandwidth to transfer 720p/1080i video signals between 720p/1080i rated source and sink (display) devices.
  • Audio Return Channel - Normally, your HDMI® cable carries audio information along with the video from a source device (e.g. blu-ray player) to the sink device (display/television). Often times this goes through an AV receiver to drive a home theater audio system. The Audio Return Channel is primarily used to send the audio signal generated by the television when its internal tuner is used, back to the AV receiver, so that you can use your home theater audio system when watching television signals.
  • Deep Color - The Deep Color feature provides a minimum of 8-bits per color element (24-bits total), providing for a total of over 16 million color variations. Other versions of Deep Color allow for up to 16-bits per element, for a total of 48-bits and over 281 trillion color variations, which really makes your video images come to life!
  • x.v.Color™ - x.v.Color™ is a promotion name given to the products that have the capability to realize a wide color space based on the xvYCC specifications and is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Currently, only AVCHD and PlayStation 3 devices support x.v.Color™.
  • High Definition Audio - HDMI® supports a full range of high definition audio types, including SA-CD, DVD-Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio™, and Dolby TrueHD™."

Looking to grab a 15ftp redmere cable, but its 3X the price (still $22, which isnt bad but still....)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9891&seq=1&format=2

"This cable supports the following HDMI features:
  • 1080p Resolution - This High Speed HDMI Cable has sufficient bandwidth to transfer 1080p video signals between 1080p rated source and sink (display) devices.
  • HDMI Ethernet Channel - The HDMI Ethernet Channel provides 100 Mbps, full-duplex Ethernet traffic along the HDMI cable, allowing a wired or wireless Ethernet connection on one device to be propagated to other devices. Note that for this feature to be functional, all pieces of equipment between the Ethernet source and the destination must support the HDMI Ethernet Channel feature.
  • Audio Return Channel - Normally, your HDMI cable carries audio information along with the video from a source device (e.g. blu-ray player) to the sink device (display/television). Often times this goes through an AV receiver to drive a home theater audio system. The Audio Return Channel is primarily used to send the audio signal generated by the television when its internal tuner is used, back to the AV receiver, so that you can use your home theater audio system when watching television signals.
  • 3D - 3D is the latest rage for both home theater and gaming. A High Speed HDMI Cable is capable of handling the high bandwidth requirements of 3D signals.
  • 4K - The 4K resolution is 3840 x 2160 pixels @ 24 Hz, which is four times that of a 1080p display and the same resolution used by state-of-the-art Digital Cinema systems. A High Speed HDMI Cable is capable of handling the high bandwidth required for 4K support.
  • Deep Color - The Deep Color feature provides a minimum of 8-bits per color element (24-bits total), providing for a total of over 16 million color variations. Other versions of Deep Color allow for up to 16-bits per element, for a total of 48-bits and over 281 trillion color variations, which really makes your video images come to life
  • x.v.Color™ - x.v.Color is a promotion name given to the products that have the capability to realize a wide color space based on the xvYCC specifications and is a trademark of Sony Corporation. Currently, only AVCHD and Playstation™ 3 devices support x.v.Color.
  • High Definition Audio - HDMI supports a full range of high definition audio types, including SA-CD, DVD-Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio™, and Dolby TrueHD™
."

I dont need 4K or TrueHD sound atm..but..maybe in a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

Right - so basically looking for a HIGH speed label so that it has enough bandwidth to suport 1080p/24fp 3D

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024012&p_id=4160&seq=1&format=2

Which is $14, at this price point the thinner redmere cord might not be a bad choice - esp when trying to stuff them in cable raceways

Thanks much

your links don't work, but if these are what you're looking at, I have 4 of them and they work great (but I don't use 3D in my HT setup, just up to 1080p (both 60p and 24p) in 2D)

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page