HDMI to 5.1 pass through switcher. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been out of the loop for awhile in the A/V world so I haven't been able to find an HDMI pass-through unit.

Basically what I'm looking for is a unit that will allow me to pass all my HDMI vidoe signals through it but at the same time convert the audio from the HDMI to like a 5.1 analog true audio output so that I can feed that audio back to my Pre/pro that does not have HDMI on it.

Are there unit that will allow me to do this? If so, can someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks.

Jeff

Mediocrity will always appeal to the masses, while excellence is most often over looked and only appreciated by a select few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
http://compare.ebay.com/like/221156873859?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar might do what you need, $99, no idea on the sound quality you'll get? I run an older non-hdmi rcvr, and ended up buying a Panasonic bluray player that had 5.1 analog output to use for my setup, a DMP BDT300. Needed the 3D capability anyway with my projector upgrade. Works fine since I only have a Dish 722 to run along with it. The newer panasonic bdt500 does the same, and you might find an older model with analog output, that would work for what you need if you want to consider that route.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If you have an optical out put on your source devices and optical inputs on the receiver with assignable inputs go with that and use the TV hdmi inputs for the video switching and the receivers for the audio switching. What is even easer is if the TV has a optical output that supports 5.1 then you only need 1 optical cable to the receiver from the TV using the set switching . That was my old setup right there. If you get a new AVR with hdmi then you can get the loss/less audio from a blurry player and that is the only improvement over the optical connection, and with 1.4 hdmi compatibility then there is 3D and audio return channel if your TV is compatible. I have just done all that and with a 1080P set the receiver upscales the signal to that from 1080I and 720P.
The fewer the components in the line the better. Look to Monoprice.com for any cables and switches you may need.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
With your Sources set to Video + LPCM yes you can convert the audio to multi-channel Analog to your non-HDMI Pre Amp.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html

Joe

PS Keep in mind the Pre is unlikely to apply any processing to the multi-channel analog Inputs so you are relying on the Source to set speaker distances and crossover points.

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 5 Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJMon View Post

I have been out of the loop for awhile in the A/V world so I haven't been able to find an HDMI pass-through unit.

Basically what I'm looking for is a unit that will allow me to pass all my HDMI vidoe signals through it but at the same time convert the audio from the HDMI to like a 5.1 analog true audio output so that I can feed that audio back to my Pre/pro that does not have HDMI on it.

Are there unit that will allow me to do this? If so, can someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks.

As we've mentioned recently in another thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457728/6-hdmi-components-and-my-denon-avr-3802 , http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454216/5-1-or-lossless-audio and http://www.avsforum.com/t/1453326/octava-hdmxa71-4x2-hdmi-matrix-switch-with-7-1-audio-opinions) make sure your pre-pro has the ability to do bass management on its analog inputs or you'll have to do bass management in the player, if it is possible over HDMI. So, you really want to make sure about that before jumping into a converter box. If bass management isn't set properly and you have small speakers, large portions of your bass could be lost or the audio could reach your listening position at the wrong time (out of phase is a possibility).

In many cases I've recommended the use of a converter unit but usually one built-into the Blu-Ray player for higher end AVRs or Pre/Pros that don't have HDMI. It would also help if we knew which pre-pro you had and what type of inputs you are looking to use. The answer is different whether it is a Blu-Ray or a satellite receiver or a Roku, for instance. The more data you provide the more information we can give.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page