Wirelogic HDMI cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Today I saw at my local Costo that they are selling the wirelogic HDMi cable (2 pack versions).
These cables are marked with arrows for source and sink.
Not sure if they use Redmere technology.
They are pretty thin and I was skeptical if I can connect the 12 ft pair using a coupler in between for my requirement of approx 25' high speed HDMI.

Anyone using these cables? what is your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Nope, no Redmere, just a dumb cable.

Two high speed cables connected in series do not necessarily yield a high speed cable of longer length. Two extra sets of connections don't help the signal either.

If you want to live up to your handle, get a 25' certified high speed HDMI cable.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
If your running 3d, I wouldn't go less than a 22 awg or a red mere.
post #4 of 23 Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

Today I saw at my local Costo that they are selling the wirelogic HDMi cable (2 pack versions).
They are pretty thin and I was skeptical if I can connect the 12 ft pair using a coupler in between for my requirement of approx 25' high speed HDMI.

WireLogic explains their products with arrows as:
Quote:
Q: What are the arrows on WireLogic HDMI cables for?
A: All conductor metal is directional in nature, which is very audible. Directionality is established by the grain structure formed when raw metal is processed to create conductors. Audio always sounds best when the signal travels with the grain structure rather than against it. All WireLogic HDMI cables are tested for directionality and the connector plugs are labeled with arrows indicating the best sonic performance path. The arrows will point away from the source component (like a Blu-ray player or HD cable box) and toward the display or AV receiver.

http://www.wirelogic.us/hdmi-faqs/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 23 Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The arrows may or may not be true with an analog signals but with a digital signal I don't buy it, sounds like Barnum and Bailey stuff to me. There are manufactures that put arrows for directionality on the audio cables and that has to do with picking up hum and it's really a ground that takes the hum back to the source. Acoustic Reacher is one that uses this on there hi end analog audio cables. Take a look at blue jeans cable they have one of the better information sections on cable construction and materials.
I have 22 gage monoprice cable 25 feet long plus the monoprice port savers and wall plates with 3D and no problems.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Postscript

There is one HDMI cable that I know of that is directional, that is the RedMere cables from Monoprice and thats because of a chip in them.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

The arrows may or may not be true with an analog signals but with a digital signal I don't buy it, sounds like Barnum and Bailey stuff to me. There are manufactures that put arrows for directionality on the audio cables and that has to do with picking up hum and it's really a ground that takes the hum back to the source. Acoustic Reacher is one that uses this on there hi end analog audio cables. Take a look at blue jeans cable they have one of the better information sections on cable construction and materials.
I have 22 gage monoprice cable 25 feet long plus the monoprice port savers and wall plates with 3D and no problems.

I thought so too why would it matter (direction) for digital signal? Seems all BS what they have..
The only problem is the 22AWG is like a rock and I will need to turn it 90 degree at two places that is gonna be hard. So I was looking for thinner cable. It seems Redmere is the only option for now
post #8 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to observe the minimum bend radius for any cabe you use. It varies from cable to cable, but 3" is in the ballpark for a 22 AWG cable. Bending tighter than that will upset the geometry and affect performance. Thinner cable will typically have a smaller minimum bend radius. A tight 90 degree turn is not good for any HDMI cable.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:

As pointed out previously, this is snake oil. I suspect they put that on the cables so that people don't call the 800 number to ask which way the cables go.

Remember it must be listed as a High Speed cable for it to be a high speed cable and it must be certified. Don't know the price but I suspect you can still get a certified High Speed cable for less than this 2 pack if you search the web. The thinnest long-distance high speed cables I've seen are the Redmeres.

The thing to remember for the directional argument for digital cables is that if you are getting no bit errors then improving the cable does what? The 1s can't be any straighter nor the 0s any rounder since you are getting no bit errors. So, that's snake oil. It's a big difference between analog and digital worlds. Of course an HDMI cable has no "sonic performace" - they are bits traveling through the cable and not analog audio.

If you are getting bit errors then you'll see them very obviously on your screen. No doubt when you see one. Then it's time to look at an improved cable.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

As pointed out previously, this is snake oil. I suspect they put that on the cables so that people don't call the 800 number to ask which way the cables go.

Remember it must be listed as a High Speed cable for it to be a high speed cable and it must be certified. Don't know the price but I suspect you can still get a certified High Speed cable for less than this 2 pack if you search the web. The thinnest long-distance high speed cables I've seen are the Redmeres.

The thing to remember for the directional argument for digital cables is that if you are getting no bit errors then improving the cable does what? The 1s can't be any straighter nor the 0s any rounder since you are getting no bit errors. So, that's snake oil. It's a big difference between analog and digital worlds. Of course an HDMI cable has no "sonic performace" - they are bits traveling through the cable and not analog audio.

If you are getting bit errors then you'll see them very obviously on your screen. No doubt when you see one. Then it's time to look at an improved cable.

I see ya..

This 2 pack costs $29.99 at costco. So not too much on pricey side like monster.
The manufacturer replied saying direction is for best audio and nothing else. It will work even other-wise. They also imply that as long as you do not exceed 8 meter, interconnect is fine etc etc..

Anyways it was blind shot. I first thought they were selling Redmere... But oh well..
post #11 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see ya..

This 2 pack costs $29.99 at costco. So not too much on pricey side like monster.
The manufacturer replied saying direction is for best audio and nothing else. It will work even other-wise. They also imply that as long as you do not exceed 8 meter, interconnect is fine etc etc..

Anyways it was blind shot. I first thought they were selling Redmere... But oh well..

Just found out out they have 25' cable as well (for $40 at costco.com). They claim the cables are certified high speed for the length it is available.
Just thinking, being costco it's easier to return in case the cable turns out to be not so good..
post #12 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
A: All conductor metal is directional in nature, which is very audible.

No it's not...conductors are not diodes.
The rest of it is just garbage.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I see ya..

The fallacy of the audio argument is for HDMI the audio bits are in the same stream as the video bits. So, unless the cable were smart enough (which it is not) to discriminate between the audio bits and video bits, both video and audio are treated the same. They are just 1s and 0s (or the electrical representation of 1s and 0s).

However, it doesn't hurt to try since you can return the cable. You'll know if you hit bit errors. However, the price is more than Monoprice would cost.

About the only thing you won't be able to guarantee is whether the cable will handle the maximum bandwidth for HDMI. With 1080p/60 (and lower such as 1080p/24 2D and 3D), you aren't using the full bandwidth of HDMI. Add in Deep Color and you're using some more bandwidth. So as long as you don't care if you can use additional capabilities later, you should be OK just trying the cable with 1080p/60 and Deep Color enabled to see if these cables are good enough.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fallacy of the audio argument is for HDMI the audio bits are in the same stream as the video bits. So, unless the cable were smart enough (which it is not) to discriminate between the audio bits and video bits, both video and audio are treated the same. They are just 1s and 0s (or the electrical representation of 1s and 0s).

However, it doesn't hurt to try since you can return the cable. You'll know if you hit bit errors. However, the price is more than Monoprice would cost.

About the only thing you won't be able to guarantee is whether the cable will handle the maximum bandwidth for HDMI. With 1080p/60 (and lower such as 1080p/24 2D and 3D), you aren't using the full bandwidth of HDMI. Add in Deep Color and you're using some more bandwidth. So as long as you don't care if you can use additional capabilities later, you should be OK just trying the cable with 1080p/60 and Deep Color enabled to see if these cables are good enough.

I really don't care about the audio and kinda ignore what they are saying. However the manufacturer is very responsive and patient. I am impressed with their response. I will share some excerpts below.

all HDMI cables up through 25ft (7.62m) currently made by WireLogic meet or exceed the 10.2 Gbps maximum current data rate for HDMI. These cables are tested and certified by HDMI Licensing, LLC as High Speed with Ethernet

8 meters is the official limit for High Speed rating. Hence, we would not claim High Speed rating beyond that authorized by HDMI LLC

WireLogic HDMI cables are guaranteed to deliver 100% of the information from the source to the device. We hand test each and every HDMI cable on a Bit Error Rate machine in post-production to assure the same.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really don't care about the audio and kinda ignore what they are saying. However the manufacturer is very responsive and patient. I am impressed with their response. I will share some excerpts below.

all HDMI cables up through 25ft (7.62m) currently made by WireLogic meet or exceed the 10.2 Gbps maximum current data rate for HDMI. These cables are tested and certified by HDMI Licensing, LLC as High Speed with Ethernet

8 meters is the official limit for High Speed rating. Hence, we would not claim High Speed rating beyond that authorized by HDMI LLC

WireLogic HDMI cables are guaranteed to deliver 100% of the information from the source to the device. We hand test each and every HDMI cable on a Bit Error Rate machine in post-production to assure the same.

As for monoprice the 30ft redmere is close to $55 shipped. I am avoiding the 22AWG non-redmere for it's bulk.
Wirelogic 25' at costco is $40. I am not in a rush and if a coupon comes by (just a chance) then it might be in the ball park of $30
post #16 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM

I'll give credit where it is due - the response about the 25 foot cable is a reasonable response. Sounds like a reasonable purchase.

One small nit - the HDMI LLC doesn't actually restrict the length to 25 feet. Physics of high speed signals and the current manufacturing processes restrict the distance to just over 25 feet. It's a nit but if someone came up with a passive cable that passed the eye tests at 30 feet, then that would be the new maximum distance.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll give credit where it is due - the response about the 25 foot cable is a reasonable response. Sounds like a reasonable purchase.

One small nit - the HDMI LLC doesn't actually restrict the length to 25 feet. Physics of high speed signals and the current manufacturing processes restrict the distance to just over 25 feet. It's a nit but if someone came up with a passive cable that passed the eye tests at 30 feet, then that would be the new maximum distance.

I guess it's worth a shot. I am in no rush, so I will keep this brand and costco on my radar so that I can pull the trigger when needed..
post #18 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 12
I too was looking at the Costco cables...2 6ft for $25. Is the Monoprice cable the way to go or does it really matter??? Directv, ps3 and a 3d Samsung 7k series led.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

$25 for two 6' HDMI cables is not a great price.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM

I think it was the dual 6-foot cables that caused me to write, "However, the price is more than Monoprice would cost."

As long as they are certified High Speed from a capability standpoint it doesn't matter. Your bank account may be a different story.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I was eying down a pair of 9' high-speed cables at Sam's Club recently. Not for now but if I'm ever in a pinch. They were slightly less than $20 for both. Different brand, too.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

$25 for two 6' HDMI cables is not a great price.
Monoprice cables are $27+ship for two 6ft's...what am I missing?
post #23 of 23 Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Monoprice has high speed 6 foot cables from $3.50 to $13.91 for the 6 foot RedMere it's Costco oranges and Monoprice oranges & apples thats what was missed. 12 foot high speed cables from $12.30 and a bunch of 15 footers from $15 to $21, not needing couplers at 2 bucks each or active ones from $13 to $19 to patch together the 2 Costco cables. The O P wants 25 feet of high speed and thats about $28 for a high speed 22 gage CL cable and around $45 for the RedMere.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page