HDMI issue driving me crazy... Need input/ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A while back I decided to move my DVD and bluray collection to hard drive. The issue I am having does not pertain to this. My setup is as follows: Vizio 70" LED TV wall mounted, Pioneer VSX-1022 receiver, LG bluray BD640, Dish Network VIP622 DVR, and my HTPC using a newer nvidia graphics card I upgraded.

My main issue is that my original Sharp 65" TV would randomly "blackout" as if the HDMI cable were unplugged and then replugged back in. Sometimes the audio would remain on, sometimes not. I proceeded to think it was my previous version of my Pioneer Receiver and got it replaced via my Best Buy warranty to the now current one. Same thing would happen in random intervals when streaming movies from my network drive or when watching Dish, or Netflix via the bluray, etc. There seemed to be no pattern to when it would black out. With my older SHARP tv, it would blackout and come back on and sometimes blackout and stay off and I would have to turn off TV and Dish receiver. So, thus far I have replaced Pioneer receiver, TV, I'm on my third different HTPC and it still does it. I had purchased BlueRigger HDMI cables via Amazon and thought they were supposed to be better than average with the newer specs.

With my recent purchase of the Vizio tv, it happens a lot less often, but it still does it. Any suggestions/ideas??? I need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
How long are the cables? What gauge are they? What frame rate and color depth?

FWIW it sounds like you have a problem with HDCP.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

On the HDCP idea, I could understand if it were only my networked media collection, but it does it with Dish Network, HTPC, and bluray with netflix.

Most of the cables going from components to received are around 6 foot long. There's one 15 footer going from receiver inside PVC in wall to back of TV.

Here are the hdmi cables I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZIQYPK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XM9774/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought these were supposed to be better than average hdmi cables. I'm not really wanting to pay $150-200 for a 6 foot cable if possible.

Before replacing the receiver the first time I even purchased one of these to no avail. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049SCB2Y/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #4 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

BTW: I can watch netflix or networked movies from other rooms in house with no problem.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougadkins View Post

On the HDCP idea, I could understand if it were only my networked media collection, but it does it with Dish Network, HTPC, and bluray with netflix.

Most of the cables going from components to received are around 6 foot long. There's one 15 footer going from receiver inside PVC in wall to back of TV.

Here are the hdmi cables I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZIQYPK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XM9774/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought these were supposed to be better than average hdmi cables. I'm not really wanting to pay $150-200 for a 6 foot cable if possible.

Before replacing the receiver the first time I even purchased one of these to no avail. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049SCB2Y/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you tried your setup with just the component plugged into the TV? For instance does the same thing happen with the HTPC plugged directly to the TV?

While this could be a cable issue, it is usually best to start by simplifying the system and then expanding it until you've tried every component separately (or as separately as possible). From a troubleshooting standpoint, the cables and any wall plates are components as well, although many people don't look at them that way.

BTW, if you scan through the archives you'll find no one in this forum who recommends expensive cables. Quite the opposite. We recommend that you get High Speed HDMI cables not expensive HDMI cables.

And, your HTPC, Dish and BluRay all use HDCP for tranmission across the HDMI cables. In fact all components that handle video *within* your HTPC have to be HDCP enabled in order for the video signal to be sent out of your HTPC.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougadkins View Post

When a HDMI source connects, it goes through hot plug detect, followed by downloading EDID, followed by HDCP authentication, after which you get a picture. After that, at least every two seconds, the source checks for a HDCP heartbeat. If the heartbeat fails, you lose the picture and the whole process starts again.

Similar symptoms can result if the 5V connection is flaky. The pin is shorter than the rest. If the plug is not all the way in, or loose for some other reason, you could have an intermittent 5V, which is used for hot plug detect.
Quote:
Normally, one wouldn't expect a problem with those lengths with decent cables.
Quote:
I thought these were supposed to be better than average hdmi cables.
I cannot comment on the quality of your cables. But I wouldn't use 32 AWG cables in your setup.
Quote:
I'm not really wanting to pay $150-200 for a 6 foot cable if possible.
I don't blame you. Decent cables can be had for less than $1 per foot from places like monoprice. What are arguably some of the best from Blue Jeans Cable will cost more, but considerably less than what you mentioned.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Can you try a temp cable between the AVR and the TV and avoid running through the In-wall conduit?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #8 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried direct to TV from HTPC with old TV. I had to utilize toslink audio output on HTPC to receiver, but it still blanked out periodically.

As for simplifying the system, I lietrally have replaced the TV, HTPC, and receiver. So I can rule out a bad component of the system. There are no wall plates. I ran pvc with 45 degree elbows inside my wall when my house was built and it is the same cable that goes from the back of the Receiver to the TV.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Replacing is not simplifying particularly if you replace one model with the same or similar models. Unfortunatey without trying things like different cables or direct connections you won't be able to determine where the problem is located. Let us know when you are ready to try different things and we'll give you some more suggestions.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page