HDMI cable problem - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had my receiver hooked up yesterday (components are in the basement, HT room on first floor). The person who hooked things up made an HDMI wire to run from the receiver to my TV. When I switch from input 1 on the receiver to input 2 on the receiver it takes a while for the image to come on the screen and there is a green flash just before the image appears. Is this normal or do I have a bad cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Someone actually made you an HDMI cable? How long is it? Is it a certified high-speed cable?

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Poor choice of words on my part. He said that he had it made. the cable is about 30 feet. Not sure if it is a high speed cable or not. Will I be able to tell by looking at it or will I have to ask the person who did the installation?
post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 89
If it is 30 feet, it isn't high speed. Those cables max out at just over 25 feet and if it really is custom it can't be high speed since that requires laboratory testing for the certification.

The symptoms you report are consistent with a cable that can't support the bandwidth. Try disabling deep color and see what happens. How to do that will depend upon your source equipment and your TV.

Also be very cautious of anyone who says they had an HDMI cable created. It can be done but usually it is cheaper and more reliable to use a manufactured cable. Sometimes those "home made" cables can cause equipment failures if incorrectly wired.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

alk, I will readily admit that I know very little about hdmi cables. I did a quick search and found that monoprice makes a 30ft high speed hdmi cable. They list one that is 50ft. Are they claiming something that is not accurate?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Were they Redmere cables? Those are active HDMI cables. We were discussing a passive HDMI cable. Big difference in lengths and quality.

The Redmere are indeed high speed and they have have a small chipset in the receiving end of the cable to restore the signal back to its original waveform (or close enough). The chipset is "tuned" to the length of the cable. Change the length of the cable and it will no longer work. If your contractor built a custom Redmere cable, I'd like to hire them!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

No, my cable is not redmere. Any way could the problem I am having be related to not having a high speed cable?
post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster View Post

No, my cable is not redmere. Any way could the problem I am having be related to not having a high speed cable?

In post #4, that's pretty much exactly what he thought. Are you able to disable deep color in the source and the TV? Another thing to try (if possible) is to temporarily move the equipment closer to the TV and try a shorter HDMI cable (preferably high-speed) and see if that helps.

If you decide to try a RedMere cable from Monoprice, their return policy and customer service is top notch so you should be able to return the cable if it didn't work in your setup.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM

If it is because the cable can't handle the bandwidth (the cable is not rated for high speed) then disabling Deep Color may make it work. If not, the next steps are to 1) try the shorter cable as Doctego suggested and 2) try 1080i or 720p for the resolution. All HDMI cables should be able to handle 1080i or 720p. If you still have problems with 1080i or 720p resolution then there is something else going on (including a defective cable).

However, before we jump to those conclusions, try the following separately in this order (if possible). No need to try the rest if one of them works.

1) Disable Deep Color (you must disable in both the source and the TV)
2) Try a shorter length certified high speed cable
3) Temporarily try 1080i or 720p resolution. For this, check what resolution your TV says you are getting to confirm that it is 720p or 1080i.

Odds are good that these will fix the problem.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You may want to try an HDMI Extender just ahead of the TV – the Powered Extender will ‘lift’ the signal to ensure its back on spec for the last hop to the TV.

http://octavainc.com/HDMI%20extender.htm

You can also try setting the AVR to HDMI ‘Bypass’ mode (assuming it may be in Video ‘up-convert’ mode) as that can often simplify how an AVR handshakes with the Sink (TV).

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page