HDMI to TV in new house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just stopped by the new house we are purchasing next week and I'm trying to figure out how to feed the signal to the TV. The current set up has a projector fed from a small equipment rack on the side of the room. I plan on using the rack for all of my equipment but I don't plan on using the projector. The room has way to much ambient light for a projector. So I plan on hanging a TV on the wall the previous screen was painted on. This wall has a single Cat5e and a single coax fed to it. With the single cat5e my options for feeding an HDMI signal are limited.

So what should I try first with the existing cabling?

If I could pull and additional cat6 pair using the existing cat5e wire (Hopeing they left a big enough hole in the top plate). What could I use?

I could open up a small hole at the top of the wall and drill a larger hole in the top plate so I could add a HDMI cable. The run is about 30-45 feet. This would be the last resort option as I don't want to have to start cutting holes in walls yet. With this option I shouldn't have any issues. getting the signal from my existing equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM

Liked: 88
If this is a pre-owned home then you have to make due with what you have or possibly open-up the wall. Try this tread for one possibility with the cat 5e cable.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384980/the-unoffical-source-for-everything-hdbaset

If you had to go HDMI in-wall you would want to use High Speed HDMI cable. Passive High Speed HDMI maxes out at 25 feet (or so) which won't help you. Active High Speed HDMI would get you there. Monoprice has Redmere for active HDMI cables. But, going with Cat 5e/6 is a good alternative.

Before you make a bad situation worse, many builders staple (or otherwise attach) cables to the beams or joists. So pulling through more cable using the pre-existing 5e may not be possible - it may not budge or it could break.

For those who may read this thread in the future, these are some of the reasons many of us recommend conduit be installed during new home construction (doesn't help in this case, of course).
post #3 of 5 Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That's the bad part, I'm leaving a house that I finished out with conduit to every important location. The new house is finished and has been for some time. After looking at some of the existing structured wiring in the mechanical room I don't think any of it was stapled. But it will be a week until we close and I can start messing with things.

If I use a single Cat5 solution what's available right now?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
As Andy says with a single CAT5 in place your best option is to use an HDBaseT Extender – you can deliver HDMI + 10/100 to any New ‘Smart’ TV you install over the single CAT cable.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20Ethernet%20Extender%20_%20HDCATS-100.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord66 View Post

That's the bad part, I'm leaving a house that I finished out with conduit to every important location. The new house is finished and has been for some time. After looking at some of the existing structured wiring in the mechanical room I don't think any of it was stapled. But it will be a week until we close and I can start messing with things.

If I use a single Cat5 solution what's available right now?

If it is Cat 5e, then HDBaseT is your best alternative. Not sure what you could do with a single Cat 5 that would not result in compressed video.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page