Looking for 30ft HDMI cable - is this one "future proof"? - AVS Forum
HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World > Looking for 30ft HDMI cable - is this one "future proof"?
seafan's Avatar seafan 12:49 PM 03-18-2013

Hi,

I'm looking for a 30-35ft HDMI cable to go from blue-ray player to a projector through in-wall conduit. I found this one on Amazon:

BlueRigger HDMI Cable (35 feet) - CL3 Rated for In-wall Installation- supports 3D and Audio Return [Latest HDMI version]

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-HDMI-Cable-feet-Installation/dp/B005LJQM3Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=194L7QW9R1NLY&coliid=I1KNXIO22LJEDV

- CL3 rated for in-wall installations
- Supports Ethernet, Audio Return
- Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i Resolutions
- Works with all HDTVs, Blu-ray players, Xbox 360, PS3 and other HDMI devices
- HDCP Compliant
- Supports True HD Dolby 7.1 and DTS-HD Master Audio

It doesn't say it's "certified" for the whole length of the cable, which some folks suggest to look for in this forum. Also I read somewhere HDMI is now in version 1.4 ? Not sure if this one is the "latest" as they claim. Is this a quality product folks here use? any other suggestions?

thanks,

Jason

alk3997's Avatar alk3997 12:59 PM 03-18-2013
Many people here use Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable.

There are only two types of HDMI cables. They are High Speed and Standard Speed cables. Each type has a few options. These two types of cables were defined by the HDMI Org to simplify cable selection for a consumer. Both types of cables have the same pinouts.

High Speed HDMI cables are capable of handling any HDMI signal currently used or planned. Standard Speed HDMI cable are guaranteed to be able to send 1080i and 720p images. Standard Speed cables may be able to handle high bandwidth signals such as 1080p/60, 1080p/24 2D or 1080p/24 3D, but it is not guaranteed. High Speed cables have passed tests to show that they can handle 1080p/60, 4K, etc.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

The cable does not "know" what it is sending. It is a dumb cable. If only takes bits from one end of the cable to the other. The only thing you have to make sure is that the cable has enough bandwidth to send the signals you want without bit errors. Bit errors will show up as obvious screen defects such as lines, sparkles or screens that change to a solid color or even no picture at all. Bit errors do not cause loss of resolution or loss of contrast, color or anything else that is usually considered "picture quality".

So, for 1080p/24 3D or 1080p/60 2D you would want a High Speed HDMI cable and try to use ones that either provide the certificate online or have great user reviews, such as Monoprice or Blue Jean Cables or some of the others you'll find in this forum's archives. One warning is that some companies claim to have high speed cables that are not. Make sure you check reviews or see their certification. Sometimes they certify a shorter cable for high speed and then claim that longer cables are also covered. The longer cables are not. The maximum length for a certified passive High Speed cable is just over 25 feet (maybe 26 feet) . Look at a Redmere technology active cable or converting to Cat 6 for longer runs requiring a high speed HDMI cable.

(March 2013 Standard Answer Count = 1)
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 02:02 PM 03-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

(March 2013 Standard Answer Count = 1)

Doesn't that bring you up to 2 or 3 for the year (so far) wink.gif
alk3997's Avatar alk3997 02:10 PM 03-18-2013
I think 3 is correct. I haven't gone back to January to see if we had any "opportunities" then.

Normally I tweak the answer a bit, but this time the last version fit the latest quesiton without any changes.

I wish we could put that answer into an FAQ but I wouldn't know how to title it so that the heading would be obvious enough for those with the same question.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 03:42 PM 03-18-2013
Yeah, I even think making it a sticky wouldn't work that well either. There's a lot of information already in the stickies and obviously some folks don't bother to read them. Just create versions 1, 2, etc and copy/paste as necessary frown.gif
Up
Mobile  Desktop