Need an easy way of sending an hdmi signal through coax and my projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do Karaoke at a local bar and I usually set up the projector on stage but the bar gets really crowded and I wanted to share the projections on the 5 flat screens they have around the bar. I had the cable guy come over and run a coaxial connection to the tv's through a simple switch (Chan 3/4) leaving a single coaxial cord on stage. Now I have to figure a way to send the signal from my Macbook to both the coaxial cord and the hdmi connection for the projector on stage. Any help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM

Liked: 87
What video outputs, beside HDMI, do you have coming from the Macbook, if any?

Why did you install the ch3/4 modulator? That likely takes a standard definition signal and the HD in HDMI is high definition. So they aren't really compatible.

However, if you have different video output, that *might* be compatible but you would need convert to standard definition before sending to the modulator.

Your other alternative would be to get a high definiton modulator but then you would need to convert from HDMI to probably component video. I've yet to see a modulator that would take HDMI because it would violate the HDMI adopter's agreements (very easy to copy if it got converted to baseband).

So, hopefully you have some other video output besides HDMI.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You can run HDMI over Coax – it involves a degree of image compression, though that is likely not a problem in the type of set-up you are running!

You would have to separate the Coax run to the Projector away from the Modulator as the HD over Coax solution will not run via the Modulator.

How big a job would it be to replace the Coax cables with a couple of CAT6 or a single CAT6 – painful I guess when you have just installed the Coax cable but in the end may be your best way forward as you can then send uncompressed HD out to all six Display devices.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Alk3997
The macbook has a mini display port (DVI I think) and I have an Hdmi and VGA cord that can be connected to it. My projector inputs are Hdmi, Rca/Component and VGA. I understand what you are saying about sending the Hd signnal to the coax, cant see why I didnt figure that out before. Do you recommend any high definiton modulators?

Joe Fernand Thanks for the response was very informative. If I run the Cat 6 wires what modulator would work to bridge that?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Liked: 87
DisplayPort is different than HDMI or DVI. DisplayPort is its own unique format. However, there is a DisplayPort option called DualPort that allows HDMI or DVI to be sent out. I'm assuming that's what you have. However, I can't see how that will help unless Joe knows of a HD modulator that will take HDMI or DVI as an input. I don't.

However, what Joe is suggesting is taking the HDMI output and sending it to all of the displays as HDMI. What is the furthest distance from the macbook to one of the displays? If under 25 feet per cable, then you could get an HDMI distribution amp - probably 1x6 or 1x8 - and send the same HDMI signal to each device. You would have to run HDMI cable to each display. I'm guessing somewhere between $100 and $150 for the equipment and cables, if under 25 feet per cable.

If you need over 25 feet for any of the cables, then you are probably looking at converting to Cat 6 and then getting an appropriate distribution amp. It would likely be more than the HDMI cable solution but would work the same.

I realized this morning that your modulator solution wouldn't have worked no matter what we do. Most new flat panels no longer have an analog TV tuner included anymore. So there would be nothing in the TV that would accept a channel 3/4 input.

BTW, High Definition modulators usually start at around $500 and work their way up. Not knowing your budget, I don't know if that would be acceptable. Again, the other problem is how to get the signal into the modulator, even if it were HD (VGA is a possibility after being converted to component).

This is one of those items that used to be simple (and noisy) in the analog standard definition days but is now much more complicated (but looks much better).
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page