Crapped out video card. need to daisy chain to work laptop and then tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The crappy Nvidia Quadro 1500m card in my Dell M90 has died. I now have screen of green rectangles but I can still use the laptop. My problem is the built in video doesn't have a high enough setting to work with my tv. My work computer does but they track your usage so I can't watch netflix on that machine. I want to go vga from my laptop to the work laptop and then hdmi from the work laptop to the tv and play netflix on my laptop. Will it show up on the tv if I connect it this way? I have the adapter to go from my headphone jack to the tv and that works because I did use it for a few hours earlier but I can't risk any more time on the work laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
‘I want to go vga from my laptop to the work laptop’ – that’s not going to work unless the ‘work’ Laptop has some form of VGA capture device built in (very doubtful).

What Output format options do you have on the VGA port of the Dell Laptop?

Is there no VGA Input on the TV?

You can use an external VGA to HDMI converter for a straight Analogue to Digital conversion, a VGA to HDMI converter with scaling (set the Converter to a suitable format for the TV) or even a USB to HDMI converter.

The Converters ought to be able to also combine the Laptop audio into the HDMI stream going to the TV.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 3 Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Rachal View Post

The crappy Nvidia Quadro 1500m card in my Dell M90 has died. I now have screen of green rectangles but I can still use the laptop. My problem is the built in video doesn't have a high enough setting to work with my tv. My work computer does but they track your usage so I can't watch netflix on that machine. I want to go vga from my laptop to the work laptop and then hdmi from the work laptop to the tv and play netflix on my laptop. Will it show up on the tv if I connect it this way? I have the adapter to go from my headphone jack to the tv and that works because I did use it for a few hours earlier but I can't risk any more time on the work laptop.

I'm not sure really why this is an HDMI question, but let's try to answer it anyway.

First of all if your usage on the work computer is being tracked, any program that would take video input would also be tracked. So you're really not getting around anything.

Second, if you mean "by high enough setting to work on my tv" that the resolution isn't high enough to work with your TV, there might be a solution. The trick is use one of the following for output resolution: either 1920x1080 or 1280x720. If neither of those are available some TVs will still work with other resolutions. You'll just have to try this. You may need someone to show you how to change resolutions on the Dell.

Finally, the simpler solution is to get the laptop to talk directly to the TV, even if that means an adapter of some type. Going through another computer requires a way to input the signal, convert the signal to something usable in the second computer and then output that signal. By the time you're done you've added noise and complexity and cost and it's probably still trackable. So, getting the laptop to talk directly to the TV is a much better solution.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page