CAT-5e/Gigabit switch Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Not really an HDMI question but it is related, sort of wink.gif The remodeling project is a go and will probably be started in July. In the meantime, I'm going to purchase the cabling etc myself beforehand and not leave it up to the contractor. Over the weekend I moved the router and various connections to a closer, and higher, position in the computer/office room so wireless quality is considerably better than it was before (even though we hardly had any issues at all). Is there a particular mfr of Cat-5e solid core cable that you guys would recommend over another? Or are they all basically the same? All the contractor is going to do is drop the cable in the walls and install the junction boxes. I'll do the wiring of the keystone jacks. I'm also going to need a gigabit switch, probably 4 or 5 ports (I only need 2 now but for the future...) so is there one that you'd recommend as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The Belden bond-pair cable is as good as it gets.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

The Belden bond-pair cable is as good as it gets.

Thanks.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Not really an HDMI question but it is related, sort of wink.gif The remodeling project is a go and will probably be started in July. In the meantime, I'm going to purchase the cabling etc myself beforehand and not leave it up to the contractor. Over the weekend I moved the router and various connections to a closer, and higher, position in the computer/office room so wireless quality is considerably better than it was before (even though we hardly had any issues at all). Is there a particular mfr of Cat-5e solid core cable that you guys would recommend over another? Or are they all basically the same? All the contractor is going to do is drop the cable in the walls and install the junction boxes. I'll do the wiring of the keystone jacks. I'm also going to need a gigabit switch, probably 4 or 5 ports (I only need 2 now but for the future...) so is there one that you'd recommend as well?

Otto, I use HP managed switches. But those are 24 port switches. So, I don't think you need that.

I'm not sure there is much difference at 4 or 8 ports between a Netgear or a DLink switch. I'd check the Newegg reviews and see if you can spot a trend of happy customers. Also make sure that you get fanless switch. Some of the bigger ones use one of the small whirley-gig fans that you can hear for miles (OK, at least yards).

Given you aren't sure if you need 4 or 5 ports, may I suggest you get at least 8 ports so that you aren't replacing the switch when you purchase more hardware.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Otto, I use HP managed switches. But those are 24 port switches. So, I don't think you need that.

I'm not sure there is much difference at 4 or 8 ports between a Netgear or a DLink switch. I'd check the Newegg reviews and see if you can spot a trend of happy customers. Also make sure that you get fanless switch. Some of the bigger ones use one of the small whirley-gig fans that you can hear for miles (OK, at least yards).

Given you aren't sure if you need 4 or 5 ports, may I suggest you get at least 8 ports so that you aren't replacing the switch when you purchase more hardware.

Thank you sir. I've used Netgear products in the past so I'll take a looksee at them first. 8 ports would be nice but a serious overkill for me because the switch will be located inside one of the cabinets of the media console, not in a control cabinet/closet somewhere else. Besides, there is the WAF to consider wink.gif. Thanks for the tips on the fan. The media console is nice and quiet as it is now, even with a movie in the bd player so I don't need to add any noise.

A quick Google came up with a Netgear GS105 ProSafe 5-port fanless switch. I thought they would be more expensive so that's a plus.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@Colm - that Belden cable is expensive and there seems to be a couple of different types of bonded-pair. I only need 100' for my simple wiring project from my router to the family room so is there a specific Belden product code you recommend, or a decent alternative?
post #7 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM

Liked: 13
IMHO, D-Link and TrendNet unmanaged green switches are very good for general purpose home networking.

Happy hunting.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ thanks. I will add that to my search list. I've got time before I need it.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

For 100' I would just buy whatever was on the shelf at Home Depot. You can gain headroom by going to Cat 6 which is designed to meet tighter specifications and doesn't cost much more.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

For 100' I would just buy whatever was on the shelf at Home Depot. You can gain headroom by going to Cat 6 which is designed to meet tighter specifications and doesn't cost much more.

I noticed that the prices for the Belden was for a 1000' so 100' would be around $35 a box so that's not really too bad. I've heard that CAT-6 is not quite as rugged at CAT-5e as far as "bendability" goes but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not aware of any differences in ruggedness. The tighter twist, slightly larger wire, and filler design will make it a stiffer. But the minimum bend radius is still around 1" for everything I have seen.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Thanks. Learning as we go here wink.gif Cat-6 seems to be the way to go then for my wiring because it will work just fine with my gigabit router and existing devices, and any future devices for the family room that may eventually have gigabit inputs. Or have I missed something?
post #13 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Thank you sir. I've used Netgear products in the past so I'll take a looksee at them first. 8 ports would be nice but a serious overkill for me because the switch will be located inside one of the cabinets of the media console, not in a control cabinet/closet somewhere else. Besides, there is the WAF to consider wink.gif. Thanks for the tips on the fan. The media console is nice and quiet as it is now, even with a movie in the bd player so I don't need to add any noise.

A quick Google came up with a Netgear GS105 ProSafe 5-port fanless switch. I thought they would be more expensive so that's a plus.

I am usually pretty good at coming up with solutions to satisfy the WAF. Keep in mind that I know nothing about your specific cabinet setup but, if at all possible, I second what Andy recommended. I would definitely look to get an 8 port switch. I would hate to see you have a 5 port paperweight in the near future. I looked quickly but it doesn't look like the dimensions are that much bigger for the extra 3 ports. I don't know how tight your cabinets will be but you could always mount it to the side, underside of the top, or the back of the cabinet to keep it out of the way (and out of sight). I have used something as simple as Velcro strips to do just that.

Again, I don't know any specifics but this is something to consider.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ the media center is a nice piece of furniture (similar to a credenza) with three open shelves on the front (for the center speaker, blu-ray player, and the receiver) and then two cabinets with doors on either side with adjustable shelves on the inside. Plenty of room inside with nice ventilation/cable access slots in the back. The size of the switch is not a concern and neither is the ac adapter because I've got my APC UPS/surge suppressor on the bottom shelf of the cabinet. Nothing is seen at all except for the tv, the equipment in the open shelves, and the AppleTV hockey puck off to the side. Very neat and sleek. Your point about an 8-port switch is a definite consideration.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page