HDMI multi conversions, possible? (SPDIF / composite) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, here are the basics..... I've got a Raspberry Pi running XBMC which I love so far and I've got an older projector on a fairly large screen which I ALSO love....

The problem is... I can only use the analog video and audio outs on the Raspberry Pi even-though I have a DTS compatible receiver.

What I need to do is take an HDMI out and get both an SPDIF (hopefully coax) output and an ANALOG compsite video (single RCA) output also.... but I can't seem to find a single device that does both. They're either all digital or all analog.....

So the question is.... if I use an audio converter that has a pass through... so a single HDMI imput and an HDMI output as well as a coax audio output, can I think plug a video converter next in line to handle the video signal?

Could I plug the Raspberry Pi into this: http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Registered-Trademark-Extractor/dp/B00BIQER0E/

Then plug out of these into the output from the J-Tech audio extractor: www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Universal-Composite-S-Video-Converter/dp/B00AQ4HF7G/

*SMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Liked: 87
Sure. That should work with some limitations. You'll be losing 3/4 of your video signal (roughly) and your audio will be compressed. But, it should work. The audio will likely be better than the RPi's analog output audio jacks but worse than the original HDMI audio. The video will be equivalent to a good picture on an old analog TV.

Also remember that for the most part your source material must include a DTS soundtrack in order to get DTS output. There were some source devices that re-encoded into DTS even if the material didn't include a DTS soundtrack, which is why I mentioned this.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks!!

And sure.... of course on the DTS portion, the real question is.... will it output ANY type of signal identical to how the normal HDMI connection would?

I've got another identical RPi on an HDMI compatible receiver and I love it... I'm looking to duplicate that functionality on this device. The analog audio pops and cracks, has terrible sound levels, etc... the all digital connection would be so much better... even for mp3 playing and such... I would hope.

The picture quality is pretty good over the composite video cable and the projector does a great job... I just HATE knowing I'm playing an .mkv with 5.1 channel surround sound and only here the terrible stereo output!
post #4 of 4 Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 87
The answer to your audio question is that it will depend upon the converter. From a quick reading of the specs, it should take the DTS core of the DTS signal (assuming you are sending DTS over HDMI) and send that over S/PDIF to your receiver. You should therefore be able to get compressed 5.1-channel audio that way. Same should be true for Dolby TrueHD being converted to Dolby Digital.

My only concern is that I don't see DTS or Dolby Digital logos on the case of the converter. It may be that they are just trying not to pay licensing for the use of the logos.

In terms of crackles and pops, it's a digital signal going out HDMI. So, the converter should just get a clean HDMI signal. If your other one using HDMI doesn't have crackles and pops, then this one shouldn't either.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page