Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,
I have a problem.
My TV BOX use some type of protection on the HDMI connection so that you cannot use a HDMI splitter. You cannot connect the TVBOX to 2 TVs at the same time.
If I use an HDMI splitter, if 2 cables are connected, there simply is no signal to none of the TVs.
That is OK, that is not what I want. What I want is to be able to Switch the TVBOX output to either TV A, or TV B.
There are a lot of switches that do the reverse: several inputs to one output. But for the life of me, I cannot find a 2 inputs to 1 output switch.
I tried to use a normal 2 to 1 switch in reverse but it does not work.
I've found some more expensive HDMI switches with 4 inputs and 2 outputs, but the outputs are mirrored and the security on my TVBOX does not let this work..
I just need a simple REVERSE HDMI switch. Does this exist?
thanks
MaC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
There are simple mechanical HDMI switches that will do what you want, like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,
Thanks, but that does not seam to be mechanical. You push a button connected to a circuit.
I've tried one similar :S
post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think that what Colm has suggested is a good suggestion (although I haven't used this specific one but have used a couple of mechanical hdmi switch to do what you need... all with buttons). You said you tried a "normal" switch in reverse..... you can't do that UNLESS that switch specifically indicates that it is a possible configuration. They are easy to find... go on ebay or monoprice and look for hdmi manual switch ... a "dime a dozen".... note you don't want any that have "auto switching to active source, etc" and features like "remote control".
post #5 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsoft View Post

Hi there,
I have a problem.
My TV BOX use some type of protection on the HDMI connection so that you cannot use a HDMI splitter. You cannot connect the TVBOX to 2 TVs at the same time.
If I use an HDMI splitter, if 2 cables are connected, there simply is no signal to none of the TVs.
That is OK, that is not what I want. What I want is to be able to Switch the TVBOX output to either TV A, or TV B.
There are a lot of switches that do the reverse: several inputs to one output. But for the life of me, I cannot find a 2 inputs to 1 output switch.
I tried to use a normal 2 to 1 switch in reverse but it does not work.
I've found some more expensive HDMI switches with 4 inputs and 2 outputs, but the outputs are mirrored and the security on my TVBOX does not let this work..
I just need a simple REVERSE HDMI switch. Does this exist?
thanks
MaC

I'm pondering "no signal to none of the TVs..." Kind of a question of how would you know if none of the TVs had no signal?

Sorry - couldn't resist. But anyway, what brand and model of TV BOX are you using? Is this the Google box?

Also how do you know that this is a security protocol that is preventing you from using a distribution amp? Also what type of TVs are you using? Do they have the same capabilities? HDMI uses a lowest common denominator and if both TVs don't have a lowest common denominator that would certainly cause you to get no signal on both TVs.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If I under stand it right this is what worked for me. I have a Monoprice splitter in use right now that is a 1.4 HDMI spec that works with 3d and another Monoprice matrix switch 4 inputs and 2 outputs that is 1.3 spec. in the old parts bin that let me feed to 2 sets the same signal from one input or separate signals to each set. This is what I have in use now, Monoprice splitter product # 7522 and the 2x4 matrix switch product # 5312, that worked until I went 3d. They have a good number of them from low price to high. I am also assuming that both of your sets and your source are content protection compliant if that would make a deference?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys and thanks for your answers.
The box is a MEO box from my cable provider. The security protocol in HDMI they use is HCDP.
Its suppose to prevent recording or something. So if you split the signal, or even if the TV is not HCDP compliant if dos not work.
I ordered a couple of those bi-directional simple hdmi switches, i'll try those to see if it makes a difference.
I would like to find a REAL manual hdmi switch. those with a button are not manual, a circuit responds to the touch of a button, and flips some contacts on the hdmi ports.
I would probably need a switch that flips ALL contacts on the hdmi port
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
How long are the HDMI cables, and a powered switch or splitter does not use the power from the source to operate letting the signal pass without interference.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Liked: 88
We're very familiar with HDCP. In fact every part of the HDMI chain must be HDCP compatible or else you will not get audio or video. There are a few versions of HDCP and they are supposed to be backwards compatible but that doesn't mean the earliest versions work well with modern equipment. HDCP does NOT prevent the use of a switch. Many people here use matrix switchers and other types of HDMI switchers with HDCP compatible devices without any problems. So, if that is the only reason you are concerned about HDCP, that isn't the problem.

Unfortunately every part of an HDMI link is almost always an active component. It's just the way the digital protocol works. A true mechanical switch would not violate the protocol but I'm not sure what that would do for cable equalization. Also the EDID could be switched in the middle of a packet which might cause problems at the sources. So, a mechanical switch might not be the solution to this.

Unfortunately most of the documentation on the MEO box I can find online is in Portugese (unfortunate only because I don't read Portugese). But unless the MEO box is so old that it can only store a certain number of EDIDs you should be able to find a matrix switch that would work or even a powered standard switch.

Beware of people who blame all HDMI problems on HDCP...
post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How the control of "real contacts" is done is probably not your issue as long as they are indeed real contacts and not some sort of IC but if the maker is saying its "bidirectional", odds are high that it is.... in your case if it doesn't work, you probably need to investigate your setup a bit more as some of the questions have tried to "explore". The mechanical switches that I have used in the past are 3X1 (1X3) that work OK. Note that some mechanical based switches that are 2X1 (or otherwise) may need a "circuit mod" to remove a diode to make them work in the other direction (there are discussions on this in various sites).
post #11 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsoft View Post

Hi guys and thanks for your answers.
The box is a MEO box from my cable provider. The security protocol in HDMI they use is HCDP.
Its suppose to prevent recording or something. So if you split the signal, or even if the TV is not HCDP compliant if dos not work.
I ordered a couple of those bi-directional simple hdmi switches, i'll try those to see if it makes a difference.
I would like to find a REAL manual hdmi switch. those with a button are not manual, a circuit responds to the touch of a button, and flips some contacts on the hdmi ports.
I would probably need a switch that flips ALL contacts on the hdmi port

You may want to try this.

Now on their spec. it does not say 1-in 2-out. This is advertised as 2-in 1-out.

I had contacted the manufacturer (Vanco) and they confirmed that it is bi-directional. i.e. you will be able to connect the 1-In and 2-In to your displays and Out to the source.

This is 100% mechanical as you can see it.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page