Want HiDef TV signal to each location - have only Cat6 & Coax @ each - suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My original thread over @ the A/V distribution sub-forum was to see how I could control my multiple TiVo boxes that are located elsewhere in a central location.
thanks to Jauntor - RF seems to be a cost effective way.

However, his recommendation for a HDBaseT extender has got me in a quandary - specifically:

1) My 4 viewing location distances are less than 100' - will a regular HDMI balun/extender be adequate to supply 1080P+digital sound to secondary locations?

2) For the primary family room hub viewing location - which is less than 40' from the source TiVo boxes - what am I potentially missing by not using a HDBaseT extender vs. a HDMI balun (same as HDMI extender?)?
* My understanding is that HDBaseT extenders can basically carry a lot of data including full uncompressed 1080P, 3D, 7.1 Audio & bi-directional IR functionality but it appears regular HDMI baluns can do that too no?
** The only thing near the TV @ this location is the AMP

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

My original thread over @ the A/V distribution sub-forum was to see how I could control my multiple TiVo boxes that are located elsewhere in a central location.
thanks to Jauntor - RF seems to be a cost effective way.

However, his recommendation for a HDBaseT extender has got me in a quandary - specifically:

1) My 4 viewing location distances are less than 100' - will a regular HDMI balun/extender be adequate to supply 1080P+digital sound to secondary locations?

2) For the primary family room hub viewing location - which is less than 40' from the source TiVo boxes - what am I potentially missing by not using a HDBaseT extender vs. a HDMI balun (same as HDMI extender?)?
* My understanding is that HDBaseT extenders can basically carry a lot of data including full uncompressed 1080P, 3D, 7.1 Audio & bi-directional IR functionality but it appears regular HDMI baluns can do that too no?
** The only thing near the TV @ this location is the AMP

I'd prefer to just stick with calling this an HDMI to Cat 6 extender since BalUn really is for a balanced/unbalanced conversion. I'm not sure how that would apply to HDMI.

So an HDMI to Cat 6 extender can provide you with 100' of distance. You have to check each the specs for the extended and verify that it has the capability to deliver uncompressed 1080p/60 video and uncompressed surround sound or the DTS-HD MA / TrueHD codecs (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Some can, some compress.

For the 40' run, it will again depend upon the type of extender versus HDBaseT. HDBaseT is solid and it has the advantages of having only a few chipsets that everyone uses. So they all seem to work the same.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
HDBaseT and the (slightly) lower cost HDBaseT-lite ‘packetize’ the HDMI signal passing over the Extender – on longer cable runs this equates to better stability and the ability to go further (up to 100m) vs. conventional HDMI over dual CAT Extenders.

You can carry 1080p Video + HD audio on both types of Extender – though keep in mind if you distribute Video with HD Audio you need to ensure that all end points support HD Audio, many HDMI equipped TV’s don’t!

A well specified 4x4 Matrix with integral dual CAT or HDBaseT Outputs will offer you a return IR path from each Zone to allow control of the Matrix, connected Sources and in some cases a connected AVR.

A Matrix with ‘Routed’ IR will ensure you can control multiple ‘same type’ Source devices from multiple Zones without IR clashes.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20Ethernet%20matrix%20switch%204x4.html

Expect to pay a premium for HDBaseT or HDBaseT-lite!

Joe

PS I’ll have to disagree with Andy on all HDBaseT products being of equal quality biggrin.gif

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

PS I’ll have to disagree with Andy on all HDBaseT products being of equal quality biggrin.gif

Fair enough and point taken!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 13
Now I am confused.

Does the Octava 4x4 matrix/receiver package identified above incorporate HDBaseT technology?

I don't see any claims to that effect on the web page, and, the info shows that _two_ shielded CAT6 cables are required for every sink (TV). Since HDBaseT can encode IR and HDMI audio/video on _one_ CAT cable, I don't think the Octava product incorporates HDBaseT. ???

I appologize in advance if I missed something.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page