Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by halteh View Post

I actually attempted to do this. I figured hell i have nothing to lose, the cables useless to me. It almost worked lol! The image and sound works, except there's a static line in the image that I can't seem to correct. My guess it's because of crosstalk on the wire. I didn't fully expect this to work, but had to at least try before I gave up.

So the question becomes what causes a static line to form when sending an uncompressed digital video signal? Certainly not the result of random noise since that should not form a static line. However, this early in the morning I can't think of what would cause that line.

Actually I've found you can lose a lot more than just the cable with a poorly wired HDMI cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandjudy View Post

I've been pleased with equipment made by Atlona...

I ended up going with:

http://www.atlona.com/HDRX-IR.html
http://www.atlona.com/HDTX-IR.html

I would have gone with the monoprice solution, but I prefer the idea of having power only at one end. I was lucky enough to find them used on eBay for $315 shipped. I'll call this a $300 %#$@-up and move on with my life smile.gif

thanks everyone for the good feedback!
F
post #33 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 13
Some more tips:

> The CAT6 cable (in your case, the 40 ft cable) will have the best hgh frequency transmission characteristics when it is properly terminated at each end with a CAT6 RJ45 plug and then connected directly to the HDBaseT transmitter/receiver pair. IOW, connect the one cable end-to-end. Avoid the use of keystone jacks in wall plates, punch down blocks, and patch cables. This tip applies to any brand/model extender. That said, 40 ft is a relatively short distance run and you might be able to get by without observing these suggestions.

> HDBaseT is not ethernet. Bad things could happen if you connect an ethernet device to the HDBaseT connection. Label the cable/connection to avoid accidental use.

Good luck, and do let us know the outcome.
post #34 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Some more tips:

Good luck, and do let us know the outcome.

Thank you, I will! The cat6 cable is actually an already terminated cable on both ends. so I will either use a barrel in a face plate, or if i can hide, it run the cable directly to the TX/RX stations.
post #35 of 42 Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey folks- just an update on this. I received the Atlona TX and RX boxes (http://www.atlona.com/HDRX-IR.html http://www.atlona.com/HDTX-IR.html). They seem to work great when I am sending signal from my mac mini, but no so great from my Set top Box (explorer 8642d HD). For some reason the screen just shows a light blue colour and seems to flicker in and out. I've tried different ethernet cables and hdmi cables no success. I even tried to recreate the connection using a 3 ft Ethernet cable (not going through the wall) with no luck. I don't have an HDMI AVR to test from, maybe if the cable box was connected to that I wouldn't have this problem? Not sure what else I can try from here. Any ideas?

thanks!
F
post #36 of 42 Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
It sounds like the extender is turning on the repeater bit, as it should, and the STB doesn't handle repeaters properly. Or maybe there is a HDCP problem.
post #37 of 42 Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

hmm... well that's a bummer. Do you know if running this through an AVR might fix this? I am thinking about getting a Yamaha 3020.

Thanks!
F
post #38 of 42 Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 13
Sorry about the trouble.

Some random, not well thought out ideas for isolating the problem:

> Verify all devices (e.g. TV) are running the latest firmware.

> Is it possible to relocate the 8642 set top box to the room with the TV and connect the STB directly to the TV using only a short HDMI cable?

Was the (reversed) Redmere ever connected to the 8642 set top box? Could that have damaged some of the STB HDMI output signals...

> If you have another source device with an HDMI output (i.e. a Blu-ray player), try that remotely using the Atlona transmitter/receiver.

> Try powering up equipment in different sequences. For example, power up the TV, then power up the 8642 set top box, then power up the Atlona transmitter/receiver. OR, power up the Atlona tx/rx, then power up the TV, then power up the STB.

> Power up everything and then redo the STB HD setup wizard, if any.

> Atlona tech support probably would be well able to help troubleshoot.

Hope this helps.
post #39 of 42 Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry about the trouble.

Some random, not well thought out ideas for isolating the problem:

> Verify all devices (e.g. TV) are running the latest firmware.

> Is it possible to relocate the 8642 set top box to the room with the TV and connect the STB directly to the TV using only a short HDMI cable?

Was the (reversed) Redmere ever connected to the 8642 set top box? Could that have damaged some of the STB HDMI output signals...

> If you have another source device with an HDMI output (i.e. a Blu-ray player), try that remotely using the Atlona transmitter/receiver.

> Try powering up equipment in different sequences. For example, power up the TV, then power up the 8642 set top box, then power up the Atlona transmitter/receiver. OR, power up the Atlona tx/rx, then power up the TV, then power up the STB.

> Power up everything and then redo the STB HD setup wizard, if any.

> Atlona tech support probably would be well able to help troubleshoot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried all of these with no luck. I called Atlona and found out this is a known issue with my set top box which outputs HDMI 1.2. The HDBaseT terminals I have are expecting 1.3 and this is the reason it doesn't work. I have a few options, perhaps seeing if my cable company has boxes that output 1.3, I doubt I will get anywhere with that idea though. I was told that if I buy an AVR that reclocks the HDMI signal this might fix my issue as well. I am planning on picking up a Yamaha Aventage 3020, but now I feel like I should buy an AVR that will fix this issue.

I was also told there's about an 80% chance this will fix my problem: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Technologies-AT-HDSync-HDMI-EDID-Recorder-Writer-with-Serial-Control.html

I am wondering what other people have done to get around this since it's a known issue with all HDBaseT terminals, not just Atlona.

Best,
F
post #40 of 42 Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Liked: 87
Yes, if you get an AVR that rescales the image that might work. Everything would then have to go through the AVR.

Remember not all AVRs do that. I'd look in the owners manual (usually available online) for "convert to 1080p" or "upscale to 1080p" or similar words. If you don't see that, the AVR may not be able to convert but simply pass-though the video signal.

Also remember that since everything is passing through the AVR, all video signals may be subject to conversion which means your video quality will only be as good as the AVR's scaling.
post #41 of 42 Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
While I haven't run into this issue myself, have you considered using a component video over cat-x balun for use for cable-TV? It should carry the HD signal from the cable box to your display and should not run into any of the issues you've dealt with so far. I suppose I would just go with an A/V receiver as I expect that will correct the issue completely. But, I have used hundreds of HD-Base-T products and I have not run into any issues with any of the products I've used, though almost all have passed through Denon AV receivers. I actually did run into an issue once, which was resolved when I updated the firmware on the Denon receiver.

Not sure a component video balun is the way you want to go, you do also have the option of using a non-HD-Base-T balun which will carry just HDMI over it.

PureLink makes a phenomenal set of HDMI transmitter/receiver units that does not use HD-Base-T and we regularly use in mission-critical applications.

http://www.purelinkav.com/PureLink/HCE_Tx_-_HDMI_over_single_CAT5_Extension_System/117201.10573

Unfortunately, I'm not aware if they support 3D and HD audio formats.

I would probably call the cable company first and see if they have any updated cable boxes which may solve your situation at no cost to you.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #42 of 42 Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

hey guys- again many thanks for all the help I've received in this thread. I finally got the Yamaha RX-A3020 AVR and ran the Atlona HDBaseT boxes through it. Everything seems to be working thus far. I've tested the Set top Box and the mac mini without any issue. So I guess the AVR is doing re-clocking on the signal and that seems to have fixed my issue. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next few days, but so far It's looking real stable!
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page