Hello everyone, my HTPC is hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V471 AV receiver with an HDMI cable (I'll call it "Cable 1"), and the receiver is in turn hooked up to a Sony Brava LCD TV with another HDMI cable ("Cable 2"). Sometimes the screen intermittently goes black for a fraction of second, which is not unlike this problem discussed in another thread
. I'll quote the OP from said thread to describe my problem:Black out is only momentary. Picture comes back quickly. When this condition occurs, it could happen between 4 times in a minute and a couple times in an hour or so.
Only the video signal is affected: the audio signal is fine. This only happens with the signal sent from the HTPC via Cable 1. I haven't had the chance to try hooking up other devices to the receiver, but if I watch TV channels there are no black flashes.
There are several things that can trigger the problem, but there's a situation I've experienced particularly often: black flashes after resolution changes, e.g. when I run a fullscreen application in 720p while the desktop resolution is 1080p. To make the flashes stop, I need to turn off the receiver for about 10 minutes. If I turn it back on sooner, I get black flashes again.
Do you have any ideas who the culprit could be? I'm suspecting a flaw in the receiver, but I'd like to get your opinions.
A couple more details:
- HTPC's video card (hooked up to receiver via Cable 1): Sapphire Radeon HD 7770. It used to have a Radeon HD 5450 and the same problem happened too.
- I used to hook up the PC directly to the TV with Cable 1. I never had this problem back then, even after resolution changes.
Thanks in advance!
edit: Additional info:
- The TV's firmware and the video card drivers are up-to-date. There is no firmware update for the receiver as far as I know.
- Both Cable 1 and Cable 2 are High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables. Cable 1 is 1.5m long and Cable 2 is 5m long.
- The black flashes don't occur at all resolutions. It definitely occurs at 1080p, i.e. the TV's native resolution, regardless of the application (e.g. fullscreen 1080p game, desktop etc.). It doesn't seem to occur at 720p, so if I run a fullscreen 720p application I'll only get black flashes when I return to the desktop. It's not very easy to test because sometimes after a resolution change a couple of hours can go by without any flashes occuring and then the problem appears.