Cat5 to hdmi converter issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an issue, When I had my house built I had the builder run a hdmi and two cat 6 cables to above the fireplace from where my receiver is. I recently was messing with the tv and broke the hdmi end off. I bought one of those cat5 to hdmi converters and have it working, but only if I plug the source directly into it. If I run through a switch then it won't work. Any suggestions and is it possible to put a new hdmi end on? There is no way to run new cables either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
It is theoretically possible to reterminate a HDMI cable, but essentially unfeasible.

Which converter are you using? How long is the cable? What switch are you using? How long are the cables from the source devices to the switch?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I am using a converter made by Sabrent. The switch is by Masscool. I don't know if buying a receiver with hdmi in and out would make a difference. The two cat 6 cables are about 10 feet.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Liked: 13
The converter kit includes a sender unit, a receiver unit, and a DC power adapter which connects to the receiver?

Is the DC power adapter in fact connected and supplying power to the receiver? If not, try using the DC power adapter.

If the DC power adapter is in-use, maybe your source is able to provide electrical power to the sender, whereas your switch is not. Maybe try a different converter (extender) which powers the sender (transmitter) and works with a higher voltage for DC power?

Just a guess...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I did try the power adapter with no luck. After more research it appears this particular brand will not work with a switch. I am returning this and getting one made by J-tech. According to a review they work with a switch. It also has much better specs. Supports 10.2 gbits as opposed to 2.25gbits from the Sabrent. Hopefully this will solve my issue.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:36 PM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra View Post

I did try the power adapter with no luck. After more research it appears this particular brand will not work with a switch. I am returning this and getting one made by J-tech. According to a review they work with a switch. It also has much better specs. Supports 10.2 gbits as opposed to 2.25gbits from the Sabrent. Hopefully this will solve my issue.

Be careful with anything that is at 2.25 gbps (assuming that is the spec for the entire cable and not just for one pair). HDMI is uncompressed. If the total bitrate is only 2.25gbps that would mean the video and likely the audio are being compressed. Since the video most likely started out as a compressed signal that means it's actually being recompressed. So you will lose signal quality with that device.

So, there were probably a few reasons to return that device.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Be careful with anything that is at 2.25 gbps (assuming that is the spec for the entire cable and not just for one pair)...
It is for one pair. The bit rate for the cable is 6.75 gbps. Not high speed, but more than sufficient for 1080p60. Cheap repeaters don't have the circuitry to compress on one end and decompress on the other.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

It is for one pair. The bit rate for the cable is 6.75 gbps. Not high speed, but more than sufficient for 1080p60. Cheap repeaters don't have the circuitry to compress on one end and decompress on the other.

Makes sense - that is a significant amount of processing. I wonder if UHD/4K takes hold, how many of these cheap boxes are going to need to be replaced? Of course, until there are real UHD/4K sources, it won't really matter.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

So I am safe to say the new one I ordered supports 10.2gb is better and will solve my issue of not working through a switch?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Yes it is better. Whether it will solve your problem with a switch will depend upon the firmware and the hardware chipset. But it probably will.

Tags
Cat5 Rack 1u