Running 100ft HDMI in rental house (can't make holes) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I just moved into a rental home that does not allow us to drill holes/make modifications to the walls. I am trying to run a 100ft long HDMI cable down 1 flight of stairs and across 2 rooms, connecting my computer to my HD TV. I can easily run the cables along the walls on the outside but that does not seem like a visually appealing idea. Are there any other ways that I could accomplish this?

I was looking into doing CAT5e <-> HDMI connections but it seems the more cost-effective solutions require two CAT 5 connections, whereas my situation only has a single one.

Thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Liked: 87
Start around post #9 of this very recent thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469154/redmere-cable-backwards

You'll see he is trying to run with a single cat 6 because of an in-wall problem. Same idea as what you are trying to do (and yes it is doable with a single cat 6).
post #3 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM

Is there any reason why you couldn't put the computer closer to your TV? Or buy a dedicated computer for your TV? I'm not sure of the cost involved with running 100 ft of HDMI, but I can't imagine it'll be cheap. The best single-wire solution would seem to be the following:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025507&p_id=9173&seq=1&format=2

But that is probably not enough length for you. What content are you trying to play from your PC? Buying a second PC or a Roku might be as cost-effective (or close) and would present less problems. This may not work for you for other reasons -- what other factors are at play here?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashman View Post

Is there any reason why you couldn't put the computer closer to your TV? Or buy a dedicated computer for your TV? I'm not sure of the cost involved with running 100 ft of HDMI, but I can't imagine it'll be cheap. The best single-wire solution would seem to be the following:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025507&p_id=9173&seq=1&format=2

But that is probably not enough length for you. What content are you trying to play from your PC? Buying a second PC or a Roku might be as cost-effective (or close) and would present less problems. This may not work for you for other reasons -- what other factors are at play here?

Basically we are using this computer as a personal workstation as well as a gaming PC -- previously, in our 1br apt, our bedroom/office was around a single wall from our living room, so we just ran a ~20ft HDMI cable along the floor/molding to connect them.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Do you require ‘just’ the HDMI signal over the CAT cable or are you also requiring control (IR/RS232) and or network access (10/100)?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #6 of 10 Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

Do you require ‘just’ the HDMI signal over the CAT cable or are you also requiring control (IR/RS232) and or network access (10/100)?

Joe

Just the HDMI. Controlling the PC via a bluetooth controller already set up.

I can't get it over CAT, since the way the house is wired, it is not going to a central hub but instead a room in the house.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
‘I can't get it over CAT’ – you have lost me now smile.gif

A single or dual CAT6 would seem like the least obtrusive option if you are to run the cables internally.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #8 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
You'd definitely need to run it over cat5/6, 100' HDMI connection won't do anything, I don't even think they make those lengths for that very reason.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Really? What is this? FWIW some folks have reported running 1080p60 at 100' with no problems in these forums. That said, a good extender using Cat 6 cable will be capable of handling higher bit rates if needed now or in the future. And there are other advantages to using Cat 6.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

I can't get it over CAT, since the way the house is wired, it is not going to a central hub but instead a room in the house.

HDMI over Cat-X extenders should not be confused with Ethernet. Cat-X cabling is just a piece of wire. We most often use it for delivering Ethernet to our computers so we can go online. But, when we are talking about HDMI extenders using Cat-X cabling, we don't plug those into a hub or anything else and in your specific case, we would be talking about you running a new piece of cat-x cabling between your computer and the TV. Cat-X cabling is thinner than HDMI by a long shot, and HD-Base-T extenders are far more reliable over long-haul runs than HDMI cables are.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

Not inexpensive, but easy to remove and take with you when you move out, and the low profile of Cat-X cabling, and availability in a variety of colors means that you can install it far less obtrusively in your home (or along the outside).

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page