Need some help - HDMI cable connector broke - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
6 years ago I received all of my guidance to develop my HT in my basement from this site. It has been a success. I purchased cables from MonoP and ran them through all of the walls and overhead in the ceiling. A couple of months ago a friend was helping me set up a new digital cable box and he pulled out the connector at an angle and the HDMI connector snapped off (i have just come to terms with it now, lol).

I need suggestions on how I can fix this. There is NO option to run another cable. I wish I installed PVC tubing at the time but I did not. I ran Component as well for other use and I am using that now but obviously it is limited and I do not want to manually switch anymore behind the units from DVD, cab box, Apple TV, etc.

I would really appreciate any guidance on a solution from this forum that guided me so well yeas ago.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Theoretically, you can just solder another on. Practically, the chances of doing it successfuly are not good. There are 19 tiny solder connections to make, and there are other considerations.

There are HDMI field termination kits. The ones I have seen are designed for ribbon cable or 28/30 AWG round cable. There are also HDMI screw terminals. And there a HDMI splices. However, even if you can make the connection, performance will suffer. If you are not pushing the ragged end of bandwidth, one of these might work for you. Worth a try if you really have no other option, I guess.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks. That is the info I have found online. Thanks for confirming. I am wondering if getting an electrician to do this is a possibility? Because of the situation I am willing to spend a bit of money for the repair instead of DIY.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Electricians, in general, can't solder. And people who are good at soldering still don't do this at all. I work with a ton of guys that solder all the time and are really good at it and they've let me know, repeatedly, that they would never be interested in soldering an HDMI connector if one were even available.

What are all the wires you ran to your TV? Just component and HDMI? I can say I am very sorry to hear if you received advice here and it did not include running cat-5 cable, because that cable should be a baseline requirement of any installation.

For what it is worth, if you ran good component video cabling, you may be able to use something like this, which is not as common as the cat-x solutions, but hey... you know what they say about beggars... wink.gif

http://www.snapav.com/p-944-b-400-1coax-hdir.aspx

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelg View Post

Thanks. That is the info I have found online. Thanks for confirming. I am wondering if getting an electrician to do this is a possibility? Because of the situation I am willing to spend a bit of money for the repair instead of DIY.

I think you are missing the point. It's not finding someone who can do the work, it's that even if the work is done it will likely not be satisfactory. These are high speed digital signals. So change the wire, and you are likely reducing your available bandwidth.

If done incorrectly you can damage equipment through the HDMI port.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 324
posts deleted

we were all newbies here on AVS at one time: please respect fellow members

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Repairing the HDMI cable is ‘possible’ though as others have pointed out it is neither simple or guaranteed to last too long!

What is at the broken end of your cable?

There are unmentionable little box’s which can deliver everything up to and including 1080p60 over your 3-core ‘Component’ cable!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page