HDMI cable confusion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the past year I have had my 15' Hdmi cable coming from my cable box to my small kitchen hdmi tv set so i can watch cable channels there. This past week I had to disconnect that connection cause painter needed to move to the area to paint. When I reconnected the cable I no longer am able to view my cable channels on that kitchen set. I have plugged, unplugged till I am red in the face and all I get is a blue screen saying no signal. I see no info on this blue hdmi cable other than on the 'head' of it saying on one side "HDMI" and the other "INSTEN" i guess that is the company that made it...Any clues why this happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Be careful when handling a long HDMI cable – the connector to cable interface is pretty fragile.

Try powering off the Source and the Sink (your Display), check the cable is connected as required then repower.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothbay View Post

For the past year I have had my 15' Hdmi cable coming from my cable box to my small kitchen hdmi tv set so i can watch cable channels there. This past week I had to disconnect that connection cause painter needed to move to the area to paint. When I reconnected the cable I no longer am able to view my cable channels on that kitchen set. I have plugged, unplugged till I am red in the face and all I get is a blue screen saying no signal. I see no info on this blue hdmi cable other than on the 'head' of it saying on one side "HDMI" and the other "INSTEN" i guess that is the company that made it...Any clues why this happens?

The first troubleshooting steps are:

1) Power off all devices (cable box and TV). Disconnect cable on both ends and carefully plug back into each device. Power up and see if that did anything. The powering off is important not only because it hot plugging HDMI cables can cause issues but because it will also reset both devices and their HDMI boards. Also check all cable connectors for paint or other debris.

2) If that didn't work, purchase a second 15' High Speed HDMI cable (should be less than $15) and try it. If that works, then you may have damaged a connector on the original cable.

After that, you would have to start looking at the devices as a cause. But, hopefully you won't get to that point.
post #4 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

It didn't work...nothing wrong with the cable no misuse of it just 'dead' I guess. How do i know by buying another one would work...this is the fourth hdmi cable i bought since i got my 55'' lcd tv...but the only one that long. I am getting frustrated in buying them and not knowing if they would work. I have 4 smaller ones just hanging around the house...6' feet long. They work on short connections..but i only needed one 15 footer Is there a hdmi coupler so one can connect 2 of those 6 footers? I know they have them for rca cables. All my sources TV's, cable box are recent.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
^^^^ Certified High Speed cables are good to about 25' so a 15' length should work just fine. You could try a Redmere cable but they are uni-directional so pay attention to the direction of the cable (sink end is the tv and source end is, well, the source). If the cables you have (6', 15', etc) work with other devices to your cable box, then it's not the cables and probably your kitchen tv. If they don't work, as Andy mentioned, then look at the kitchen tv or the HDMI output on your cable box. You can't really couple together HDMI cables to extend the length. That can cause other issues.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
There are any number of reasons that a HDMI cable may go bad, such as a tight bend in the cable, or a tight bend around the connection head, misuse, or to much tesnion put on the cable when it is pulled, to simply buying an inferior cable.

If you are having issues with cables, then perhaps you need a better quality cable. The Monoprice Redmere cables certainly are very good, but their highest gauge cables are very good as well. Their skinniest cheap ones are the ones that I tend to see the most problems with personally.

I regularly use cables up to and beyond 50' without issue.

Monoprice does also sell a HDMI coupler which works just fine for what you are talking about. Just search HDMI coupler on their site.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You have a few variables at play here so saying it is the 15’ cable may be a red herring!

Source – have you tried a different source with the 15’ cable to your New TV?

TV – have you tried the Source with your ‘old’ TV with the 15’ cable to see if that combination still works?

Source – have you tried the Source to your New TV with one of your short cables.

Best to isolate the problem before you go purchasing additional cables!

If you have added any new electronics (lighting dimmers, Wi-Fi routers) in the vicinity of the 15’ cable try powering them off and running some tests.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #8 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well, i bit the bullet and ordered from Amazon a hdmi coupler where reviewers said that it works perfectly by adding 2 smaller cables, and a 25' hdmi cable. As far as being told to make sure i get a good hdmi cable. I do not know what is considered good and what is considered bad, or troublesome. I do not know one end of the cable to the other end...both ends look alike to me. its amazing in this day and age of technology, a hdmi cable could be so erratic. We never had as far as I know any problems from the good old rca cables or even the component ones. Why do we as consumers have to put up with such frustrating moments over a cable?
post #9 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Sorry about the misleading statement about the HDMI couplers. I didn't think they would work sufficiently for extending the length of an HDMI cable, but maybe for just getting the connection from Point A to Point B, it will work fine.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There are 2 vendors that advertise on AVS, and as they say, knowledge is every thing, Monoprice & Blue Jeans. They have a lot of educational material on HDMI and every other type of cable for that mater. I tried out and rejected a HDMI cable extender serval years back, and it was from one of the pricey names. That was back in the days when HDMI cables were very pricey. That's about the time I found Monoprice.com and got the right cable. Did you check to make sure that a small drop of paint did not get in or on the input on the TV or the cable, it won't take much.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Well, i bit the bullet and ordered from Amazon a hdmi coupler where reviewers said that it works perfectly by adding 2 smaller cables, and a 25' hdmi cable. As far as being told to make sure i get a good hdmi cable. I do not know what is considered good and what is considered bad, or troublesome. I do not know one end of the cable to the other end...both ends look alike to me. its amazing in this day and age of technology, a hdmi cable could be so erratic. We never had as far as I know any problems from the good old rca cables or even the component ones. Why do we as consumers have to put up with such frustrating moments over a cable?

I'm sorry I couldn't jump in quicker. Two high-speed 12.5' cables coupled together do not make a 25' high speed cable. Unfortunately. There is some loss associated with a couple (two additional termination points). So coupled cables do not work as well as one long cable. That said, there are times where couplers are needed but they should be avoided, if possible. At the very least, a coupler adds two more potential failure points where a cable can come apart.

An HDMI cable should *not* be erratic. Particularly one that is significantly less than 25' in length.

You should look for a cable that says "High Speed" and shows a type of certification in the advertising. If it doesn't say that then you don't know what you are getting. Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable and a number of other have these certifications. Unfortunately even on Amazon (and especially one eBay) there are cables that aren't certified.

But, before we talk about cables. Can you take your cable box and move it close enough to the TV temporarily so that you could try one of your 6' cables, even if the cable box isn't connected to the coax? With a 6' cable you should be able to pass a signal (even if the signal says your coax is disconnected) from the cable box to the TV. If you can't then this is a different problem than a bad cable.

BTW, HDMI cables don't just "go dead". There has to be a cause. There is no material in the cable that should degrade over time.

However, cable boxes get new firmware without the user knowing about it. That new firmware can change the way the cable box works. So that is why it is very important to test with a small cable to see if you can pass a signal.

Also remember that HDMI was designed to 1) send a signal at high data rates (10.2 gbps is still fast today) and 2) prevent people from copying the signal. Ease of use for the consumer was intended (one connection for both video and audio) but sometimes all of the copy protection and the ability for the TV to tell the source what formats to send gets in the way of ease of use. With HDMI your TV tells you cable box what resolution and audio format (and other things) it can accept. That is supposed to make it easier for consumers but when that fails, it actually makes it much harder than the old days of component video.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

If it is the cable box at fault what can one do about it? I cannot tell the cable company to make it work cause they would rather sell me another cable box. Why would it work for months and not anymore, unless of course like you said that the firmware was updated with me not knowing about it. I will move the smaller kitchen tv closer to the box and use the smaller 6' cable and see what happens.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-24-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I have used a HDMI coupler to put a 35' HDMI cable together with a 50' HDMI cable using a 1080i source without issue. 85' of 1080i across HDMI without issue - about 4 years ago.

If you have a problem with the cable box, then call your cable company and have them switch it out. Not sure, but I rent my cable box... I've never bought a cable box in my life, I rent them, and I freely return them and get new ones as necessary.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

I tried all my so called good cables that were working with my Blu-Ray player and still nothing. So I gather it is the cable box. No, i rent mine wit TWC and have exchanged them in the past, but others did not work at times as this Cisco one did. Occasionally i would get a message on my TV screen whenever it was working and I at times had to unplug the hdmi cable for one reason and another...this is the message that appears briefly and quickly. "Attention" SET-tOPS HDMI PORT NEEDS AN HDCP COMPATIBLE TV INPUT PLEASE SWITCH TO COMPATIBLE TV INPUT OR DO NOT USE THE SET-TOPS HDMI PORT. IF YOUR TV'S INPUT SUPPORTS HDCP, THE HDMI CABLE MAY BE AT FAULT. I can't make sense out of that message. My Samsung HD TV is slightly over 2 years old since I bought it and the hdmi ports worked with my Blu-ray player and as i said previously worked for months with the kitchen HD tv which is barely 2 years old...doesn't that mean it is compatible? I know HDCP stands for high definition compliant port.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Although Andy's first post (and first step) might have been good and clear, I think you may need to actually unplug all units from the wall as opposed to "power off".... which implies just turning off the unit. Of course, most units now adays maintain a "standby state" in "power off" so basically, "power off" does little to "erasing" and "restarting" any screwed up states of equipment. I would unplug everything from the wall. Let it sit for a bit. Then plug in the sink (TV). Assuming it still has its hdmi cables intact, power up the TV. Wait til it is totally "happy", try going in the TV menu and then exit from the menu. If you can (depending on the TV), look at the status of the inputs, do they appear correct... ie are inputs "greyed out" that are unused / unavailable? are those correct. Next, I would then plug in the cable box back into the AC. If necessary, turn it on. At the TV, look at the status of the inputs, is the appropriate one in the proper working state? Based on your most recent post, I hope / suspect that this procedure will get you thru.
post #16 of 23 Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Some limited success finally. I used my 6' hdmi cable from the box to my larger 55'' TV and the input works. Now, taking that same cable from the box to my kitchen HDTV i cannot get to see cable..I still get the "No Signal". I have to mention something about this kitchen TV. It is a COLBY 22'' LED set that comes with a power cord that first goes to a box shape, which the manual for it calls an AC/DC adapter, which in turn is to to my outlet. I do not know if that may be the reason I cannot see it anymore, but keep in mind it worked just fine for almost a year. So if i am able to view HD from the cable box to the larger TV and not the small one, I am assuming the problem then is with the 2 year old Colby. Personally, I never saw a TV set with such adapter in the middle of the power cord.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Some limited success finally. I used my 6' hdmi cable from the box to my larger 55'' TV and the input works. Now, taking that same cable from the box to my kitchen HDTV i cannot get to see cable..I still get the "No Signal". I have to mention something about this kitchen TV. It is a COLBY 22'' LED set that comes with a power cord that first goes to a box shape, which the manual for it calls an AC/DC adapter, which in turn is to to my outlet. I do not know if that may be the reason I cannot see it anymore, but keep in mind it worked just fine for almost a year. So if i am able to view HD from the cable box to the larger TV and not the small one, I am assuming the problem then is with the 2 year old Colby. Personally, I never saw a TV set with such adapter in the middle of the power cord.

Can your Colby receive any signal? Can you try the antenna input on it?

The AC/DC adapter box is there to convert your wall power into power that the TV can use. In most circumstances if the adapter isn't working then you won't see anything on your TV (no lights and no "No Signal" message). So, I think we can safely move the adapter box to the back of the line for possible problem areas.

If you have any other type of device to hook to the Colby's HDMI port (even if you have to borrow a Blu-ray or DVD player) that would be a great help in troubleshooting. I suspect this might be a cable box firmware update that is keeping your Colby TV from getting a valid signal. Basically the cable box no longer understands what a Colby TV is but understands the signal coming from your 55" TV. Trying out a different source over HDMI would provide a clue that the Colby was or wasn't the problem.

One other thing, could you provide the specific model number of the Colby and the cable box (along with the cable box manufacturer)? Also remember to completely unplug the cable box and the Colby before each test as Budwich suggested (and leave off for at least 10 seconds before plugging back in).

The reason I'm asking is this message, SET-TOP'S HDMI PORT NEEDS AN HDCP COMPATIBLE TV INPUT PLEASE SWITCH TO COMPATIBLE TV INPUT OR DO NOT USE THE SET-TOPS HDMI PORT. IF YOUR TV'S INPUT SUPPORTS HDCP, THE HDMI CABLE MAY BE AT FAULT" The message is stating that it can't perform copy protection because your Colby TV isn't compatible with the cable box's copy protection scheme. If I had the model numbers I'd like to see what is in the Colby manual (if I can find it) about HDCP (the copy protection system used by HDMI). The part about it being a cable problem is because if there are enough bit errors due to a cable problem you can get the message but in this case this is a red herring and can be ignored right now.

The other suggestion in the message is to use the component video outputs of your cable box and run those to the Colby TV (if it has component video inputs). You won't lose any picture quality doing this with a cable box.

At least we can safely rule out the 15' cable as the problem now.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

If you have any other type of device to hook to the Colby's HDMI port (even if you have to borrow a Blu-ray or DVD player) that would be a great help in troubleshooting. I suspect this might be a cable box firmware update that is keeping your Colby TV from getting a valid signal. Basically the cable box no longer understands what a Colby TV is but understands the signal coming from your 55" TV. Trying out a different source over HDMI would provide a clue that the Colby was or wasn't the problem.>>>

Hey thanks really appreciate the info. I do have a Blu-Ray player and tried it to the Colby. I removed the hdmi cable from the samsung tv and connected it to the Colby tv hdmi port. It worked cause i did as u suggested by unplugging both the cable box and the ColbyTV. off. I then tried the hdmi 15' cable by doing the same thing. It did not work. I used the other 6' foot cable and that didn't work either...just the Blu Ray player worked...go figure. Also, I had hoped that I didn't have to go through with this scenario each time i have to disconnect a cable for one reason or another. I was always able to view my local channels on the Colby cause i have that tv set up to my ota. I do have the Colby manual and do not see anything regarding any info on hdcp. Prior to connecting the box to the Colby I used a composite cable from my video out of my vcr and was getting the cable channels, but not comfortably clear as i did with the hdmi. My cable box is Cisco Explorer 4640 HDC and no manual came with it. I did find on line where one can download it, but one has to also install toolbars and other junk which i have found at times its almost impossible to get rid of them once installed so i did not download it...Be My guest...LOL..As for the component cables, true they may give me better resolution...but the idea of a 15' ( 3 ) wire hugging the floor to the kitchen is an unsightly thought...at least with the hdmi one gets one cable for video and audio as we all know. So it worked with the player and with the hdmi cable but not with cable channels.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-25-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

It is common to have HDCP issues with cheaper TVs, or the port to go bad. Have you tried the 15' cable with your Samsung TV and the Blu-ray player and the cable box? You need to eliminate the cable as being of any issue whatsoever. If that cable works, then that is not an issue.

The TV having issues is a different story. Coby is a pretty cheap brand and it may have just given up on you.

If that's the case, then you may need to go with component video.

If you don't need audio at the TV, then this is a single skinny component cable with breakouts at the end for the three wires - I use similar throughout my home and it works great...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kramer-C-R3VM-R3VM-15-3-RCA-M-Cable-3-28-AWG-Mini-Coax-for-Component-Video-15ft-/200775942836?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ebf2dc2b4

Here is one which also includes the audio - once again, a single 15' cable, that breaks out to component video plus analog audio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mediabridge-RCA-Component-Video-Cable-with-Audio-15-Feet-/281050077604?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416fe3d9a4

May not be as slick as HDMI, but it carries HD video just fine!

post #20 of 23 Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:

If you have any other type of device to hook to the Colby's HDMI port (even if you have to borrow a Blu-ray or DVD player) that would be a great help in troubleshooting. I suspect this might be a cable box firmware update that is keeping your Colby TV from getting a valid signal. Basically the cable box no longer understands what a Colby TV is but understands the signal coming from your 55" TV. Trying out a different source over HDMI would provide a clue that the Colby was or wasn't the problem.>>>

Hey thanks really appreciate the info. I do have a Blu-Ray player and tried it to the Colby. I removed the hdmi cable from the samsung tv and connected it to the Colby tv hdmi port. It worked cause i did as u suggested by unplugging both the cable box and the ColbyTV. off. I then tried the hdmi 15' cable by doing the same thing. It did not work. I used the other 6' foot cable and that didn't work either...just the Blu Ray player worked...go figure. Also, I had hoped that I didn't have to go through with this scenario each time i have to disconnect a cable for one reason or another. I was always able to view my local channels on the Colby cause i have that tv set up to my ota. I do have the Colby manual and do not see anything regarding any info on hdcp. Prior to connecting the box to the Colby I used a composite cable from my video out of my vcr and was getting the cable channels, but not comfortably clear as i did with the hdmi. My cable box is Cisco Explorer 4640 HDC and no manual came with it. I did find on line where one can download it, but one has to also install toolbars and other junk which i have found at times its almost impossible to get rid of them once installed so i did not download it...Be My guest...LOL..As for the component cables, true they may give me better resolution...but the idea of a 15' ( 3 ) wire hugging the floor to the kitchen is an unsightly thought...at least with the hdmi one gets one cable for video and audio as we all know. So it worked with the player and with the hdmi cable but not with cable channels.

First, here is the Cisco users guide from the manufacturer (and without any toolbars) -
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4029075_A.pdf

Unfortunately all it confirmed was that HDCP was being used. No spec version was listed.

The part of what you wrote that has me confused was that one of the 6' cables actually worked. That really spoiled the HDCP theory since the firmware doesn't change with the cable that is plugged in (obviously). But, we go with where the data leads us...

At first I thought maybe the Colby had a problem but then I remembered you said when you plugged in the HDMI cable into the Blu-Ray and the Colby everything worked right. The one variable in that is that you changed the Cisco box for the Blu-Ray player. So that implies there is something wrong with the Cisco cable box's HDMI port. Remind me, does that cable box's HDMI port work with your big TV? Was there any combination of cables that did not work between the Blu-Ray player and the Colby TV?

Yes, I understand the component video cable clutter look. If you were going to use component video I would caution you to get a good quality cable anyway because cheaper cables are prone to electrical interference which, with component video, causes lines and other analog issues. I'd also stay away from anything on eBay since you never know what you are getting. We've had many people report here that they ended up with an HDMI cable that didn't perform right or was simply counterfeit when ordered through eBay. I'm sure the same is true for other types of cables. Buyer beware.

BTW, the resolution with the component video cable should be exactly the same as with HDMI. Not better or worse. They both should produce the same high definition signal if high quality (or at least reasonable quality) component video cables are used.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

At first I thought maybe the Colby had a problem but then I remembered you said when you plugged in the HDMI cable into the Blu-Ray and the Colby everything worked right. The one variable in that is that you changed the Cisco box for the Blu-Ray player. So that implies there is something wrong with the Cisco cable box's HDMI port. Remind me, does that cable box's HDMI port work with your big TV? Was there any combination of cables that did not work between the Blu-Ray player and the Colby TV?>>>

Yes, when I connected the cable from the box to my larger Samsung TV HDMI, it worked just fine...so i guess it eliminates the bad port theory on the box. I didn't try other cable combinations after the initial success i had with the first one with the Colby. I did try again your theory about unplugging everything and then connect the 15'' cable from the box, but this time it did not give me the cable on the kitchen Colby...so it worked for the Blu -Ray player only. I guess i might as well buy a 'single' component cable and use that instead of the hdmi cable. AV-Integrated gave me a couple of links for such a cable and want to thank him for that, and you too ALK3997, for the time and effort. My gratitude to all.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:

At first I thought maybe the Colby had a problem but then I remembered you said when you plugged in the HDMI cable into the Blu-Ray and the Colby everything worked right. The one variable in that is that you changed the Cisco box for the Blu-Ray player. So that implies there is something wrong with the Cisco cable box's HDMI port. Remind me, does that cable box's HDMI port work with your big TV? Was there any combination of cables that did not work between the Blu-Ray player and the Colby TV?>>>

Yes, when I connected the cable from the box to my larger Samsung TV HDMI, it worked just fine...so i guess it eliminates the bad port theory on the box. I didn't try other cable combinations after the initial success i had with the first one with the Colby. I did try again your theory about unplugging everything and then connect the 15'' cable from the box, but this time it did not give me the cable on the kitchen Colby...so it worked for the Blu -Ray player only. I guess i might as well buy a 'single' component cable and use that instead of the hdmi cable. AV-Integrated gave me a couple of links for such a cable and want to thank him for that, and you too ALK3997, for the time and effort. My gratitude to all.

Just make sure you double check any cable (or anything) you buy on eBay. Don't want you to have horizontal or wavy lines running through your picture. Unlike HDMI, there really is a difference between cheaper component video and more expensive (but not out of the world expensive).

Good luck!
post #23 of 23 Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Contact your cable company regarding component cables before buying them. My cable company provides high-quality component cables with their HD boxes. They used to blindly give them out but, now, I have to ask for them. Doesn't hurt to ask.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page