hdmi 10.3 or higher or fiber optic hdmi? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my walls opened and want to run hdmi cables throughout the house. Some runs will be over 50+ft. I am trying to find cables that are not obsolete once I get them or that are at-least able to handle 3D or even 4K signals. I have only found cables rated to 10.2 speeds and I keep reading that 10.3 or greater is what to look for. I have been on monoprice and blue jeans sites for hi speed cables but can only find 10.2. I have also looked into fiber optic hdmi cables from rainbowfish and celerity and they say they are the be all end all but I really didn't find specs or ratings that I could compare them to a standard type cable. What do you think about either or. Can anyone point me to a place that sells cables that can support 3d or 4k? Thanks, chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Your best bet is going to be using HDMI extenders based on HDBaseT and installing extra Category 6 cable for the future. The price shouldn't be an issue if you are considering fibre. They are capable of handling the full HDMI bandwidth (10.2 Gbps) at distances up to 100m. That is good enough for 1080p24 3D from a BD player, or even 1080p60 3D from a computer as long as you don't turn on DeepColor. It is also good enough for 4Kp24. Anything beyond that will have to wait for the next version of HDMI, which was supposed to be announced a year ago. No telling when or what it will be. As far as obsolesence goes, the best thing you can do is install empty conduit with a pull string while the walls are open.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt View Post

I have my walls opened and want to run hdmi cables throughout the house. Some runs will be over 50+ft. I am trying to find cables that are not obsolete once I get them or that are at-least able to handle 3D or even 4K signals. I have only found cables rated to 10.2 speeds and I keep reading that 10.3 or greater is what to look for.

•High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

So, if you want capacity beyond what is the current standard available, you don't have much to go with except pure guess work.

If you want a guarantee, then run conduit. Otherwise, fiber and cat-6 will eventually provide what you need. Fiber is rated well beyond 10.2Gbit/s... But, there is no standard beyond 10.2 at this point, and HDMI 2.0 is not yet released which does call for a rating to support 4K... It's just not here yet.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-27-2013, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Multiple CAT6 + Conduit (with a pull cord) is the way to go – you can use the CAT6 now (and potentially going forward with new hardware on wither end of the CAT6 cables) for HD Video/Audio plus IR/RS232 depending on what you plan for control of your multi-zone system and potentially use the conduit in the future once HDMI.org gets its head around wherever Ultra HD takes us.

You don’t get High Speed HDMI cables at 15m unless you go ‘active’ and active cables are not the way to go if you are looking for long term compatibility as there is no way to upgrade the ‘active’ components of the cable.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page