Hdmi switcher that can have 2 devices powered on at the same? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have a samsung hdtv with 2 hdmi ports. I currently have my tivo box connected to port 1 and the other port I use it to connect my laptop. I will be getting a sony home theater system, which requires an hdmi connection from my tv to the hts so from what I've read I will need an hdmi switcher. If I were to get a switcher this is how I would have my connections, One hdmi cable directly connected from my tv to the tivo box and I would use the 2nd hdmi port on my tv to connect the switcher. To the hdmi switcher I would connect the home theater system and the other port would be for my laptop, for when I feel like connecting it. What I've learned about an hdmi switcher is that as one devices gets turned on the other device connected to the switcher are turned off. So when I connect my laptop I want to also have the hts on. I want to have that home theater effect while I watch hbogo. How can I go about having my laptop connected and having the hts on while using a switcher. Is a switcher the correct device I need or is there something else I need to get. I would truly appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked: 87
Why not go to the home theater system first and then take the HDMI output from the home theater system to the TV? Which model of Sony are you looking at?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, the home theater system I"m getting is the BDV-N790W. I've read the manual and the setup is this: Connect with hdmi cable from the tv to the hts. Since I have a tivo box it says to connect the box to the hts as well.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
If I am understanding correctly, your suggestions won't work. It seems like you want to use the switch as an input source for your laptop and an output source for audio from your TV to your HT system. To my knowledge, the only way for you to use an HDMI cable from your TV to the HT system to output audio is if both devices support ARC. You didn't list the model # of your TV so I have no way of knowing if your TV utilizes ARC. That leaves the HT system. A quick glance at the specs makes no mention of ARC. Your HT system has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. I would do as Andy suggested and connect both sources to your HT system first and then output the HT system via HDMI to the TV. That is cleaner and will get you the best possible sound.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower View Post

Hi, the home theater system I"m getting is the BDV-N790W. I've read the manual and the setup is this: Connect with hdmi cable from the tv to the hts. Since I have a tivo box it says to connect the box to the hts as well.

After you read the excellent explanation from Doctego, let's backup a bit. HDMI goes in a single direction for video. Basically the source sends video to displaying device (called the sink). However, there are some other things that can happen. Audio goes in the same stream as the video to the sink. Both audio and video are all just data bits.

What makes HDMI more complicated is that the sink (the destination) also sends data to the source. It's seems backwards but that data tells the source what type of audio and video to send.

In special circumstances the sink (the destination) can also receive audio and then send the audio out a different HDMI cable. This is called the Audio Return Channel (or ARC). But in order to use ARC both the sink and the AVR must allow for ARC. It's also usually reserved for one HDMI connection only. The other restriction is that it is usually limited to only standard stereo (LPCM) and Dolby Digital. It's really designed to allow a TV to use its off-the-air tuner and then send the TV audio to your AVR (or HTS). But it isn't designed to allow the TV to take an HDMI stream and turn the audio around to another HDMI device.

In addition your TV doesn't have an HDMI output. So there is no way to go from the TV to something else with HDMI.

So, that is why it is important to use the HTS before the TV. If you really want a switch, then put it before the HTS (or use the second HTS input) and then take the HDMI output from the HTS to the TV only. You'll also be able to use more types of audio formats this way.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. As you can see I'm clueless about this stuff. I came to the realization that my tv doesn't have audio output. Its the Samsung LN46E550, it was a gift so I had no idea that I couldn't just simply connect a sound bar system. So I suppose I will need a home theater system. I'm really unsure of what I need. All I want to do is have my tivo box connected and be able to connect my laptop to my tv as well and have better sound than what I get from the tv speakers alone.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions. As you can see I'm clueless about this stuff. I came to the realization that my tv doesn't have audio output. Its the Samsung LN46E550, it was a gift so I had no idea that I couldn't just simply connect a sound bar system. So I suppose I will need a home theater system. I'm really unsure of what I need. All I want to do is have my tivo box connected and be able to connect my laptop to my tv as well and have better sound than what I get from the tv speakers alone.

Actually what you listed should be fine. Take the laptop HDMI output into the BDV-N790N and then take the Tivo output into the second HDMI input port on the BDV-N790N. Take the HDMI output from the BDV-N790N into the HDMI input on the LN46E550. Setup your remote so the BDV-N790N is "powered-up" at the same time as your TV (the BDV-N790N has instructions). You'll have to switch inputs by remote to use the laptop versus the Tivo, but it should work fine. No switcher needed.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page