Rainbow FIsh HDMI issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to share my experience with the Rainbow FIsh HDMI cable.

I have a long HDMI run to my projector, about 35 feet. With a copper HDMI cable I was having handshake issues which mostly consisted of a jittery image, color bars, etc. I set out looking for a balun solution and happened upon Rainbow FIsh. I thought it was going to be a great solution.

While the cable resolved a lot of the image issues, it frequently will fail the initial handshake and result in "no signal" on my projector. I contacted Rainbow Fish about the issue and was informed there was a known incompatibility issue with a common HDMI chipset (Marvell). I was told I could wait two months for a new cable they're developing or they would give me a refund. I thought "Great! Here is a company that is going to stand behind their product." Boy was I wrong. After the three months passes I email asking what the status is, and am told it's not ready yet. At this point, I was done waiting, and asked to proceed with the refund. Then I'm told they don't give refunds and that I could get a replacement. What good would a replacement cable do if the issue is that the cable is incompatible with certain chipsets? After raising a stink, they finally agree to refund my purchase (even though it was purchased on eBay) or I can wait another month and the new cable will be ready. Silly me, I just want to have a working cable, so I agree to waiting the additional month. Month and a half passes, and you guessed it, the new cable isn't ready. This time I'm done with promises, I'm going for the refund. They state they will not honor the eBay refund, and I should contact the seller. I've now written the cable off as a loss, it's worth more than $180 for me to share this story than keep pursuing a refund or empty promises.

Long story short. The Rainbow Fish cable has compatibility issues. The company won't honor their promises, or stand behind their product. Save the effort and by something from a more established manufacturer.

PS

Anyone have any suggestions for a 35' HDMI run, or cost effective fiber baluns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Isn't 35' a bit long for a High Speed HDMI cable because they are only certified for up to 25', unless you're using a standard cable? I'd look into a Redmere cable. They can handle longer runs because they pull a small amount of current from the sink (tv) end. But they are one direction only so you have to pay attention to the orientation. You didn't really pay $180 for an HDMI cable did you?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
35' is a bit long. That's why I was trying to go the fiber route. $180 is actually really cheap for a fiber HDMI solution.

I'll look into Redmere cables, thanks for the suggestion.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 273
My mistake. I didn't realize that you were using the Rainbow Fish cable. For some reason I saw RocketFish. Redmere cables are pretty cool for what they can do and they have a really small diameter compared to "regular" HDMI cables.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some copper HDMI are now active.
Such as Transparent Audio Active or Sony.
With High Speed spec up to 50 feet.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I have had no issues with the largest gauge Monoprice cables at distances up to and beyond 50'.

If all you have to go is 35', I would just try a quality Monoprice HDMI cable first.

If you have issues, they will take it back without giving you a headache, and they have their HD-BaseT solutions which are phenomenal for about $190. One cat cable and it works great, but for a measly 35' I wouldn't sweat it. I am, right now, using a 75' Monoprice HDMI cable with Blu-ray to my bedroom without issue as well as a 50' run to my family room television. Simply no issues at all.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page