HDMI wireless to multiple receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My question is, is it possible to transmit wireless HDMI pictures to mutliple receivers? I am asking because I have paid for an hdmi cable box to watch sports in my livingroom but since to this day most HDMI are wired cable, I can not send this out to all the other rooms in the house. Anyone else know?

Furthermore, I know there are single transmitter and receiver out there for HDMI. But anyone know if a brand name that produces hi-quality products and sends out to multiple receiver preferably 30ms?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lap Chi Yeung View Post

My question is, is it possible to transmit wireless HDMI pictures to mutliple receivers? I am asking because I have paid for an hdmi cable box to watch sports in my livingroom but since to this day most HDMI are wired cable, I can not send this out to all the other rooms in the house. Anyone else know?

Furthermore, I know there are single transmitter and receiver out there for HDMI. But anyone know if a brand name that produces hi-quality products and sends out to multiple receiver preferably 30ms?

Thanks.

I think you probably know this, but there is no standard for wireless HDMI. Each company uses their own techniques for transmissions and frequencies (as allowed by the FCC in the U.S.). So, the term "wireless HDMI" means a lot of different things.

What you are asking for is basically a multi-frequency transciever since HDMI not only sends from the source to the sink but also gets EDID information and other handshaking from the sink to the source. So each sink on your wireless splitter would need a separate frequency to return the EDID back to the source transmitter. I suppose some type of frequency sharing scheme could be used instead. In any event, it would be a rather complex device for a small market share. I did a quick look on "wireless HDMI splitter" and didn't see anything.

I believe, if implemented properly, the concept of a wireless HDMI splitter would be doable and be permitted under HDCP (just as wired splitters are allowed). But, that would certainly be a niche and probably cost more than using a wired splitter with two so-called wireless HDMI adapters each on a different frequency.

Also, your spec of 30m isn't sufficient since you would also have to account for the number of walls in the way for many of these wireless solutions. You'll also have to check carefully that the video isn't being compressed in order to fit in the wireless bandwidth.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Wireless HDMI (and wireless A/V in general) is something of a question mark. Even a single wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver pair tends to be glitchy, at best. Some work decently, some people have great luck, others have no luck at all. So, recommending a $200+ product to just do ONE connection in your home would be a 'guess' at best, and could just aggravate you. Obviously, that's not what you want to hear, and I personally see that the potential for wireless HD solutions could be phenomenal.

Imagine every TV equipped with a wireless receiver built in and every source you buy has a wireless transmitter... When you buy a new device, you press a 'sync' button and then go to every TV in your home and press a corresponding 'sync' button, and just like that, that source becomes available to all the TVs/monitors in your home. Press 'source' on your remote, and all your cable boxes, Blu-ray players, computers, and gaming systems which have been synched are available to see and hear on your local television.

Yeah, that's not likely to ever happen, but the potential for such a setup would certainly ease the headaches associated with the current solutions which homeowners must now use.

In your specific situation, I'm just incapable of giving a suggestion. You really need a matrix switcher and two wireless transmitters, and no guarantee of operation at all.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Andy,

I actually found something called HD Flow, here is their website. hdflow.com. The video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZH10z-Lf0k. I know this works because there is a review online, here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75fm2c6-O0

I might give a shot, but not wanting to order online so I'll have to check out some retail stores and its quite expensive, $900 US for two receivers + transmitter.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Nice find... It certainly isn't inexpensive and is only a one-to-many solution which sounds like it works fine for you.

No guarantees on signal reception, but would like to hear what you think if you get it and use it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 PM

Looking for the same as you, but I only have two TV's, and one is near all the boxes, so this looked good:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/
post #7 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post

Looking for the same as you, but I only have two TV's, and one is near all the boxes, so this looked good:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/

That "review" sure felt slimey - it really was an advertisement.

A less biased review can be found at:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/networking-and-wi-fi-reviews/iogear-wireless-hd-kit-gwav8141k-review/

The take-away from that review is that the 1080p video is compressed. Remember true HDMI transmits uncompressed video (one of HDMI's true actual advantages over other digital transmission methods). Also I could not tell if you can get uncompressed audio.

So, basically your trade-off is wireless versus true HD audio and video.

The wirecutter review also made me laugh when it said that there are only two "main" wireless HDMI standards. There are actually no standards just more manufacturers choose one of two main methods out of many.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page