HDMI pass-through questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I'm having two keystone wallplates installed by an electrician in adjacent rooms. They're about 1-2 ft apart from each other. Each will have 4 to 6 ganged connectors to allow passing through various low voltage lines. So far I have an RJ-11, Cat 6 and Coax installed and want to add a high speed HDMI port. I'd appreciate any help on the following:

1) Since HDMI type A connectors often come loose easily, which is better: 2 HDMI keystone couplers/pass-through jacks joined with an in-wall HDMI cable or an HDMI jack with pigtail? The latter seems hard to find and maybe a little gimmicky. Here are some references, but I doubt these will be long enough and the 2nd one may not even be high speed:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

http://www.firefold.com/hdmi-keystone-jack-pigtail
http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/Keystone-Inserts_152/HDMI-Keystone-Insert-with-Pigtail_606

2) Granted the male/male cable will be in-wall and, in theory, not easily disturbed, but if it did ever come loose, for whatever reason, how much work would be involved in reattaching it?
3) If I do go with the pigtail, does it matter if generic keystone jacks are installed in a quickport plate?
4) How important is it to use a CL2 rated HDMI cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 265
1. You can use any kind of HDMI coupler - the ones from Monoprice work just fine in these cases. I've used them at 35'+ distances without issue with a high quality HDMI cable.

2. If it comes out (it won't) you must pull the wallplate off and reattach it.

3. Keystone and QuickPort I believe are trademark names of some sort for competing brands - they are interchangeable. Similar to 'Decora' - it's a trademark name for GFCI type of outlet covers, but they all work together.

4. CL2 is an in-wall rated cable and is supposed to be used per National Electric Code.

HDMI cables are VERY bulky, so you want to be sure that the cable with the keystone adapter will fit behind your wall cleanly.

Not sure if any of the 'super slim' type cables are CL2 rated, so you may just decide to dump the CL2 rating requirement for your very short run.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coprime89 View Post

Hello,

I'm having two keystone wallplates installed by an electrician in adjacent rooms. They're about 1-2 ft apart from each other. Each will have 4 to 6 ganged connectors to allow passing through various low voltage lines. So far I have an RJ-11, Cat 6 and Coax installed and want to add a high speed HDMI port. I'd appreciate any help on the following:

1) Since HDMI type A connectors often come loose easily...

Why do you think they come apart easily? Unless someone is pulling on them, gravity won't cause these to separate. I've had ones in walls that have been there for many years without problems. I've had to change a cable a few times and they don't move. I'm thinking I'm missing a requirement that the cable be replaced often or something like that.

The CL2 rating is simply there because if a fire starts in the wall, a non-CL2 cable could provide a path for the fire to spread. How much is that worth? Nothing until it keeps your house from burning down and then everything. Think of it as a layer of protection that most people will (luckily) never actually use. It's also required to pass inspections, if a government inspector is looking (more important for a new build obviously).
post #4 of 4 Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks for your replies. I don't have a very high opinion of the HDMI type A connector. That's based on some of my own experiences & the things I've read. That's why I was tempted to go with the pigtail method. I guess I just needed to hear somebody vouch for the standard male/male cable approach to put my mind at ease. Thanks again.

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page