Green dots on some 1080p material? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bigrushhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: flower city
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am having this perplexing problem and have no idea whats causing it, cause I CAN get 1080p on some Bluray material.Anyways I will list my components first.

Mitsubishi HC3800 front projector
Sony Blu ray player
Sony Receiver with 4 HDMI ins and one out.
Xbox 360 with HDMI out.
HDMI cable from Blue Jeans cable.

I can never get 1080p out of my xbox no matter what settings I choose on both the xbox itself and the projector itself.The picture is there but there are these green dots all over the screen, so I go back to 720p

I can sometimes get 1080p out of my Bluray player depending on the Bluray material. but it starts out with green dots then the movie kicks in and the picture clears up and is perfect.

Now I just got a brand new David Gilmour Bluray and it always has green dots, unless I set my Bluray player to 1080i

Have tried NOT using my receiver as a switching device and using the HDMI cable direct to the component and it still does this.

This is really weird, cause the newer Rush Documentary Bluray starts out with the green dots, but then it kicks in and is fine, so it seems to me its not the projector, cable, or receiver.
Perhaps I need to update or rather buy newer models of Bluray player and Xbox? as they were probably new back when HDMI first came out.

I tried searching the internet for people with similar issues but have yet to see any.Any help would be appreciated.And as I said earlier have tried switching all the settings on DVD player, xbox and Projector at the same time and nothing clears it up.
bigrushhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,498
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Sparklies...

Yup, you got em bad.

You are running beyond the range/capabilities of the cable you are using.

You can use a different HDMI cable, but since it sounds like it may be a long distance run you would be much better off picking up a HD-Base-T extender over cat-5/6 and it will fix your issue completely I would expect.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

This is classic HDMI distance/bandwidth limitation issues.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 AM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post

I am having this perplexing problem and have no idea whats causing it, cause I CAN get 1080p on some Bluray material.Anyways I will list my components first.

Mitsubishi HC3800 front projector
Sony Blu ray player
Sony Receiver with 4 HDMI ins and one out.
Xbox 360 with HDMI out.
HDMI cable from Blue Jeans cable.

I can never get 1080p out of my xbox no matter what settings I choose on both the xbox itself and the projector itself.The picture is there but there are these green dots all over the screen, so I go back to 720p

I can sometimes get 1080p out of my Bluray player depending on the Bluray material. but it starts out with green dots then the movie kicks in and the picture clears up and is perfect.

Now I just got a brand new David Gilmour Bluray and it always has green dots, unless I set my Bluray player to 1080i

Have tried NOT using my receiver as a switching device and using the HDMI cable direct to the component and it still does this.

This is really weird, cause the newer Rush Documentary Bluray starts out with the green dots, but then it kicks in and is fine, so it seems to me its not the projector, cable, or receiver.
Perhaps I need to update or rather buy newer models of Bluray player and Xbox? as they were probably new back when HDMI first came out.

I tried searching the internet for people with similar issues but have yet to see any.Any help would be appreciated.And as I said earlier have tried switching all the settings on DVD player, xbox and Projector at the same time and nothing clears it up.

Your HDMI cable is a high quality cable with Blue Jeans cable. But, I really can't tell if you're exceeding any spec without knowing the length and knowing whether it is a High Speed cable. It also could be cable damage (including tight bend radius in the cable) or a manufacturing defect.

But, try this...Go back to 1080p and in your Blu Ray player menu and your Projector menu, disable Deep Color. Deep Color adds color bits per pel (pixel element). The extra bits aren't on the disc but are added by the player. So, you aren't losing any information and your projector will likely do just as good of a job of color decoding as your player. What disabling Deep Color does is to cut out those extra bits and reduce the bandwidth requirements for the signal. Basically it's less bits in the pipe and that may bypass your problem.

However, when you want to go to a higher bandwidth again (say something like 4K), then the problem will likely reappear. But, at least disabling Deep Color may give you a short term "solution". Also remember to disable in both the player and the projector so that there isn't any handshaking that occurs concerning Deep Color. If that works you can also try it with the Xbox.
alk3997 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If you refer to the Projector Central review of the HC3800 from back in 2009 the reviewer made note that he had problems when trying to use the HC3800 over a 15m cable with Sources (and the same cable) which had previously worked without problems!

A powered HDMI Extender just ahead of the Projector may be worth trying out before you start ripping out cables!!!

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20extender.htm

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Joe Fernand is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bigrushhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: flower city
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the replies guys, Its not an issue to change the cable, and there are no sharp bends, but it is a 25' cable, and I did find another thread where some were saying there are 2 different categories of HDMI cables, Category 1 for 720p and 1080i and Category 2 for 1080p? Never heard of that but when I have some free time next weel will call monoprice and tell them the issue I am having..Monoprice and Blue jeans cable are one in the same(same company)? Seem to remember that being the case.Will post back and let you know if and how it gets resolved.
bigrushhead is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 AM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post

Thanks for the replies guys, Its not an issue to change the cable, and there are no sharp bends, but it is a 25' cable, and I did find another thread where some were saying there are 2 different categories of HDMI cables, Category 1 for 720p and 1080i and Category 2 for 1080p? Never heard of that but when I have some free time next weel will call monoprice and tell them the issue I am having..Monoprice and Blue jeans cable are one in the same(same company)? Seem to remember that being the case.Will post back and let you know if and how it gets resolved.

First Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are separate companies.

Did you try disabling Deep Color? It would be a good test.

Finally here is a reply that has been made so many times in this forum that I refer to it as standard answer #1. I've updated it to include the references to category 1 and category 2



There are only two types of HDMI cables. They are High Speed (also known as Category 2) cables and Standard Speed (also known as Category 1) cables. Each type has a few options. These two types of cables were defined by the HDMI Org to simplify cable selection for a consumer. Both types of cables have the same pinouts.

High Speed HDMI cables are capable of handling any HDMI signal currently used or planned. Standard Speed HDMI cable are guaranteed to be able to send 1080i and 720p images. Standard Speed cables may be able to handle high bandwidth signals such as 1080p/60, 1080p/24 2D or 1080p/24 3D, but it is not guaranteed. High Speed cables have passed tests to show that they can handle 1080p/60, 4K, etc.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#49

The cable does not "know" what it is sending. It is a dumb cable. If only takes bits from one end of the cable to the other. The only thing you have to make sure is that the cable has enough bandwidth to send the signals you want without bit errors. Bit errors will show up as obvious screen defects such as lines, sparkles or screens that change to a solid color or even no picture at all. Bit errors do not cause loss of resolution or loss of contrast, color or anything else that is usually considered "picture quality".

So, for 1080p/24 3D or 1080p/60 2D you would want a High Speed HDMI cable and try to use ones that either provide the certificate online or have great user reviews, such as Monoprice or Blue Jean Cables or some of the others you'll find in this forum's archives. One warning is that some companies claim to have high speed cables that are not. Make sure you check reviews or see their certification. Sometimes they certify a shorter cable for high speed and then claim that longer cables are also covered. The longer cables are not. The maximum length for a certified passive High Speed cable is just over 25 feet. Look at a Redmere technology active cable or converting to Cat 6 for longer runs requiring a high speed HDMI cable.
alk3997 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,498
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post

Thanks for the replies guys, Its not an issue to change the cable, and there are no sharp bends, but it is a 25' cable, and I did find another thread where some were saying there are 2 different categories of HDMI cables, Category 1 for 720p and 1080i and Category 2 for 1080p? Never heard of that but when I have some free time next weel will call monoprice and tell them the issue I am having..Monoprice and Blue jeans cable are one in the same(same company)? Seem to remember that being the case.Will post back and let you know if and how it gets resolved.
Keep in mind that Blue Jeans Cable, while they may send you another cable, can't really help you beyond that if it is a hardware combination issue which is causing you problems, which it sounds like it is.

As said, you have several solutions, and the above mentioned cable equalizer ($100) may very well do the job you need perfectly. Likewise, the aforementioned HD-Base-T extender from Moonoprice ($200) will also take care of this issue I would expect.

You didn't mention, but if you have a short - 6' or less - HDMI cable, can you try just putting your BD player right next to your projector and seeing if it works without issue?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bigrushhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: flower city
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Keep in mind that Blue Jeans Cable, while they may send you another cable, can't really help you beyond that if it is a hardware combination issue which is causing you problems, which it sounds like it is.

As said, you have several solutions, and the above mentioned cable equalizer ($100) may very well do the job you need perfectly. Likewise, the aforementioned HD-Base-T extender from Moonoprice ($200) will also take care of this issue I would expect.

You didn't mention, but if you have a short - 6' or less - HDMI cable, can you try just putting your BD player right next to your projector and seeing if it works without issue?

I did used to have the BR Player right next to the projector and don't remember having issues, but I also tried the Xbox like that and could never get 1080p.

Think the cheapest solution is to get a category 2 15' to replace the 25' as 15' should be plenty, an get 2 high speed 3' as well. Hoping I have a category 1 and that's all the problem is, the other options you guys have mentioned are a little pricey, but if it ends up being that that's all that will work, will bite the bullet, but Cables themselves are relatively cheap.

I may give my daughter the BR Player and get a current model, as I cant see certain content on burned disc`s either, some stuff shows some gets blocked.My BR player is probably 3-4 years old now.
bigrushhead is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Actually your cheapest test would be to try disabling Deep Color. If even you don't want to long term, it is an excellent test.
alk3997 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 06-08-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bigrushhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: flower city
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Actually your cheapest test would be to try disabling Deep Color. If even you don't want to long term, it is an excellent test.
I tried it and nothing changed, but thanks for the suggestion, will order some new cables end of next week.
bigrushhead is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bigrushhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: flower city
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wanted to update as to the outcome.Called Blue Jeans Cable and was ready to buy new cables, but they talked me into buying a booster and had a discounted B stock booster, so I bought it...They advised as to where to place it which was before my 25' cable, hooked it up and it didn't work..was kinda disappointed and was expecting to have to oreder a 15' cable, but they asked me to place the booster before my Projector just to see what would happen, well it worked perfectly..Now having zero video issues with 1080P on both XBOX and BR Player going through my Sony Receiver.

If you need anything, don't hesitate to call Andrew or Wayne at Blue Jeans Cables, they treated me right and fixed my problem!
bigrushhead is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,498
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
A good HDMI equalizer should always go as close as possible to the destination, not the source. It should reclock the HDMI signal after it has degraded, but can do very little on the front end of the connection as this typically already has a pretty solid signal going through it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
jaedb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This sounds quite similar to something that I'm experiencing. I have recently purchased an entry-level AV Receiver (http://www.sony.co.nz/product/str-dh740) and have just noticed my Xbox 360 (all games) is giving me strange green dots over HDMI. Other video sources running through the AVR (tried the same cables as well) do not have these dots.

 

When running straight from the Xbox to the TV there aren't any dots. Potentially an issue with the AVR?

 

I've taken a video to better explain what I'm experiencing: http://youtu.be/TX_cgzYY2iA

jaedb is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The video was great for analysis. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what those green dots are caused by. They appear to stay stationary until the camera view moves and then they appear to move in a group.

So, I'm having a problem saying it's noise since there is a pattern.

Hopefully someone else has seen something like this before. By any chance do you have some HDMI option enabled in the AVR that wouldn't normally be enabled going directly to the TV? Something like CEC maybe? Or a different resolution? (I admit, I'm grasping)
alk3997 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joe Fernand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ensure the AVR is in Passthru mode (disable video processing) and then try dropping the Xbox Output resolution to 1080i and or 720p – do you still have the green dots?

Also try a different cable between the Xbox and the AVR.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Joe Fernand is online now  
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off