Possible to repurpose HDMI cable with RJ45 Connectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is going to sound a little crazy I'm sure...

Scenario: I have a client who has around a 50ft HDMI cable in the wall (not sure if it's 1.3 or 1.4 but it's VERY thick and rigid). The homerun end of the cable is finicky to the touch and I'm fairly confident that there is an issue with something coming loose in the head or something else "breaking" within the wire / head. This HDMI run is the one used for the output of his receiver in the homerun to the TV a floor up. Additional connections between the two points are two runs of speaker wire, one RG6, a 3.5mm audio cable with an RCA connector on each end, and one Cat5e. Speaker wire is in use handling stereo sound from the receiver. I need to fix the HDMI cable or find him another solution.

My crazy ideas: I've read quite a bit about fixing HDMI cables with wire crimps, soldering, etc and stumbled across a screw terminal HDMI connector like this or this leaving you with a female HDMI port. One of them says it won't go higher than 720p and the other doesn't specify. Another idea I had was to connect in proper order to RJ45 heads on each end (two pair if more than 16 wires) and use HDMI extension baluns to send the HDMI through this faked Cat5 cable. I'm confident that won't work, but does anyone know if it will or won't? My last resort would be using a wireless HDMI pair I saw on monoprice but I really want to avoid using wireless to solve the problem.

Ideas, advice, cautions?

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Use an HDMI over HDBaseT Extender with your single CAT5 to pass HDMI (up to and including 1080p) plus 10/100 along with IR and RS232.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20Ethernet%20Extender%20_%20HDCATS-100.html

if you don't require 10/100 you can use a lower cost HDBaseT-lite extender.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 AM

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrubber View Post

This is going to sound a little crazy I'm sure...

Scenario: I have a client who has around a 50ft HDMI cable in the wall (not sure if it's 1.3 or 1.4 but it's VERY thick and rigid). The homerun end of the cable is finicky to the touch and I'm fairly confident that there is an issue with something coming loose in the head or something else "breaking" within the wire / head. This HDMI run is the one used for the output of his receiver in the homerun to the TV a floor up. Additional connections between the two points are two runs of speaker wire, one RG6, a 3.5mm audio cable with an RCA connector on each end, and one Cat5e. Speaker wire is in use handling stereo sound from the receiver. I need to fix the HDMI cable or find him another solution.

My crazy ideas: I've read quite a bit about fixing HDMI cables with wire crimps, soldering, etc and stumbled across a screw terminal HDMI connector like this or this leaving you with a female HDMI port. One of them says it won't go higher than 720p and the other doesn't specify. Another idea I had was to connect in proper order to RJ45 heads on each end (two pair if more than 16 wires) and use HDMI extension baluns to send the HDMI through this faked Cat5 cable. I'm confident that won't work, but does anyone know if it will or won't? My last resort would be using a wireless HDMI pair I saw on monoprice but I really want to avoid using wireless to solve the problem.

Ideas, advice, cautions?

Thanks,
Jeff

First of all, there is no such thing as a 1.3 HDMI cable or a 1.4 HDMI cable. The only two types are High Speed and Standard Speed. If you would like to know more, I can refer to you some threads but basically try not to use a version number with a cable.

Since it is 50 feet, we can be sure it is a standard speed cable since passive high speed cables max out at just over 25 feet.

With that out of the way, trying to repair an HDMI usually ends up with a bad signal (or sometimes) source voltage ending up on the wrong lines. These cables are extremely difficult to repair properly.

So, I have two ideas -

1) Do you have the ability to pull this cable (conduit?) if you could replace it was something more flexible? If so, this is a good use of a Redmere cable.

2) Would a small pigtail at the home run end reduce the stress on the HDMI connector? Basically, it sounds like if that suspect connector is never touched again, it will be OK. So, how much extra cable would that take. Is the cable being used at 1080p (or only 1080i/720p)?

What Joe mentioned would use the cat 5e cable instead of the HDMI cable. The HDMI cable would be abandoned in place.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I agree with Joe.

Since you said there is a Cat-5e cable in place between the receiver and the projector (is there really?) then that is what should be used and you can pick up single cat-5e HDMI extenders using HD-Base-T technology all over the place. This will take far less time than anything else and will work very well up to 1080p w/3D without issue.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
IMHO

Best solution: use the Cat 5e cable, if it is available, with a HDBaseT extender.

Second best solution: pull a new Cat 5e/6/6a cable, if you can, and use it with a HDBaseT extender. Do not pull a new passive or active HDMI cable. Both are susceptible to the same problem you already have. And an active cable has electronics that can die and require replacing the cable again.

Behind the 8 ball solution: try using the four shielded pairs in the HDMI cable like a Cat 5 cable and use it with a HDBaseT extender. The HDMI cable TMDS pairs and Category 5e/6/6a cable have the same characteristic impedance. It probably don't come up to the performance of a Cat 5e cable for a number of reasons. But it might work for 50'.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Alk3997, sorry about the terminology. I read somewhere that 1.3 means no ethernet and 1.4 meant ethernet. My bad. I can't pull new wire, the cable is incredibly thick, and it's going through a stairwell and makes some turns. If I could do that, I'd drop a couple CAT6 and call it a day. A pigtail has already been attempted. I tried all kinds of tricks to relieve pressure and they kind of work, but the shelf the receiver is on isn't deep enough to handle the distance needed to make a turn of the thick cable. I even tried two kinds of port savers (short 6" cable and an elbow joint). It barely worked if even at all with those for some reason.

I hadn't thought about the HDbaseT option, but that may be worth a shot. The prices are ALL over the place on those. They go from: $50 on Amazon to a lot more (hundreds of dollars).

Colm, that was basically my crazy idea...using the wires in the HDMI to act as the second in a balun that uses 2 cat5e / cat6 cables (before thinking about the HDbaseT option).
post #7 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Not all single cable products are HDBaseT. $50 ones almost certainly are not. They start at a bit under $200 and go up. Lesser technology may work at shorter distances, but it is a crap shoot. HDBaseT just works.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Got it. That one on Amazon doesn't seem to be HDbaseT...but it was the first time I've seen a single-cable option. Reviews weren't bad on it but there were some reports of it not lasting too long. This run may be more like 25' not 50'. I need to check before moving forward.
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page