Component Only TV to HDMI HT. What do I need to make it work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older 42" Panny Plasma that I'm putting in a vacation home. Ideally I'd like to get a converter so I can plug the TV into an HDMI HT system that will have a Blue-Ray player and DISH satellite connected/switched at the receiver. I'm trying to make this as simple and reliable as possible w/o spending big cash. What's out there for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
HD Fury?

Otherwise, not much.

The TV doesn't have a DVI port on it or anything else? Just component video? This may prove to be a bigger headache than it is worth overall, and it may just be cheaper, in the long run, to get a cheap 42" flat panel. New ones can be had for around $400, and on sale for less at times.

http://www.hdfury.com/buy-hdfury-now/

A couple hundred bucks or so to do this on the cheap end.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

HD Fury?

Otherwise, not much.

The TV doesn't have a DVI port on it or anything else? Just component video? This may prove to be a bigger headache than it is worth overall, and it may just be cheaper, in the long run, to get a cheap 42" flat panel. New ones can be had for around $400, and on sale for less at times.

http://www.hdfury.com/buy-hdfury-now/

A couple hundred bucks or so to do this on the cheap end.

Yikes! That's freaking expensive.

Yeah, only component and RGB. I do think you could get a DVI card but its so old it might be hard to track down. What options would I have for DVI?
post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyak View Post

Yikes! That's freaking expensive.

Yeah, only component and RGB. I do think you could get a DVI card but its so old it might be hard to track down. What options would I have for DVI?

And no guarantee that it will continue to work with Blu-Ray players. The members of the HDMI Org have always threatened to revoke the HDCP certificate that allows the device (and its siblings) to work. Everytime I see the device mentioned here, I wonder if we don't take a step closer to them doing that. They closed down component video outputs on new Blu-Ray players. The header to this forum still mentions how the HDMI Org was a contributor to this forum at one time so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the same people were still lurking.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

And no guarantee that it will continue to work with Blu-Ray players. The members of the HDMI Org have always threatened to revoke the HDCP certificate that allows the device (and its siblings) to work. Everytime I see the device mentioned here, I wonder if we don't take a step closer to them doing that. They closed down component video outputs on new Blu-Ray players. The header to this forum still mentions how the HDMI Org was a contributor to this forum at one time so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the same people were still lurking.

Wow. What a PITA.

Oh well. I just found an older component switching HTS so I think I'll just do that and be done with it. All of my devices have component so that'll work just fine. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyak View Post

Wow. What a PITA.

Oh well. I just found an older component switching HTS so I think I'll just do that and be done with it. All of my devices have component so that'll work just fine. Thanks for the help!

Best way to handle it - stay with the same connection type all the way through, when possible.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
What Panasonic TV do you have?

I have a couple of HDMI cards for commercial Panny plasmas that I have no use for that I would donate if they were compatible.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
You could buy an Oppo-93 like I did for my 65" RPTV.

Course, thats expensive too, second hand on eBay.

They send blu-ray over component, if you don't have the bluray player already, might be a good investment. Quality blu-ray for the future as well.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

You could buy an Oppo-93 like I did for my 65" RPTV.

Course, thats expensive too, second hand on eBay.

They send blu-ray over component, if you don't have the bluray player already, might be a good investment. Quality blu-ray for the future as well.

Not guaranteed to continue to work at HD resolution over component. Blu-Ray has an Image Constraint Token that is option on all discs. If asserted, the ICT instructs the player to neuter the component video to 480p (actually a little better than 480p). That downrezzed version may then be converted back to 1080i for output, as strange as that sounds. So basically the player takes away the high definition detail and then the player tries to add it back electronically. All in the name of copy protection (supposedly)...

I know of only one disc that had the ICT asserted and there was some debate over whether it really was enabled.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I played probably 30 discs, no issues, but yes I know they could implement that.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page